Controversy Swirls Around 9-Year-Old’s Death Inside New York City School

Boy Choked On A Meatball, But What Happened Next Leads To ME Investigation

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A mother in on a quest for answers after her 9-year-old son choked to death during lunch period at a New York City school.

CBS 2’s Kathryn Brown spoke to the child’s mother on Monday.

Angela Jewth can’t begin to explain her grief — and confusion — over the death of her son, Jonathan.

He died after choking on a meatball during lunch at P.S. 47 earlier this month.

“No parents should have to … go through what I’m going through,” Jewth said.

But the more Angela learns about that day the more she is beginning to question exactly what happened to her son.

According to a report by the Department of Education, Jonathan began choking at 12:15 p.m. as he was leaving the lunchroom.

A school employee called police at 12:16 p.m., while three adults, including a parent, assistant principal and school nurse, performed the Heimlich maneuver and then CPR.

But Emergency Services Records show the 911 call didn’t come in until 12:28 p.m.

According to dispatcher notes obtained by CBS 2 News, Jonathan was “still breathing” at 12:29:50.

However, 14 seconds later, notes show he had passed out again. Then, 12 seconds later he was not breathing.

Another 11 seconds passed and then the school nurse began CPR, followed by use of a defibrillator.

An ambulance arrived at 12:33 p.m., only four minutes after the 911 call was placed, but 18 minutes after the school’s own records show Jonathan began choking.

He was rushed to Jacobi Hospital, but by then was in a coma.

“He never waked up or opened his eyes, never,” his mother said.

School officials at P.S. 47 wouldn’t comment on the case, but parents were talking about it.

“I’m calling the school. The school is not giving any information,” Irawatie Somai said.

“I am so afraid to take my children to school now,” Jennifer Perez added.

School officials said nine staff members, including the assistant principal involved, were given CPR training in November.

But it wasn’t enough to save Jonathan.

“He was all I had and I loved him so much and he loved me,” Angela said.

And, more than anything, she wants to know what happened to him.

The Medical Examiner’s Office is conducting an investigation into the little boy’s death.

Please offer your thoughts in the comments section below.

Comments

One Comment

  1. emily says:

    my heart goes out to jonathans mom and family. i am so sorry for your loss! my son a fifth grader of 47 was a friend of jonathans, he described him as a happy kid who just loved life!! i heard about the news and was so saddened by it. god bless you angela and family!

  2. Meme Meyagi says:

    what is done about 7 million mooslime terrorists living in usa?

  3. Love NYC says:

    After working as a school nurse for a short time, I can tell you it is best to wait for all the details to come from the school nurse’s account of what emergency measures were taken as well as the Medical Examiner’s report. Watching resusitative measures can be confusing and horrifying at best. Attempts to forcefully expel food that has lodged in the airway is not a fail-safe technique. It does work well and it should be tried and then followed by chest compressions once the person is unconcious. Lunch breaks where kids are in a rush to finish eating and running out the door still chewing is not only unfair, it is unsafe. Learning CPR should be mandatory! Think of all the mandatory subjects in schools. What is more important than learning how to perhaps save a life? No one should work in a school setting without CPR training.

  4. anita says:

    My sympathy to Jonathan’s parents. He should not have died from eating anything. There should have been some professionals helping him….I think training is required at the school. He is just a child and accidents do happen even if he chewed his food properly. THEY SHOULD HAVE HELPED HIM.

    1. Michael H. says:

      Clearly every single New York City student should have a trained EMT hovering over them at every moment of every day.

      There are limits to what the school can do. This was an accident, plain and simple. Blaming the school for this is ludicrous.

      1. anita says:

        No one said that we should have trained EMT hovering over students every moment. You’re just plain and simply ignorant regarding this child’s death. All I’m just saying that there should have been trained staff at the school IN THE LUNCH ROOM!

  5. CarefulPArent says:

    lakawak, as insensitive as they think this sounds, I am with you!! I encourage my kids to chew at least 20 times minimum before swallowing.My son learned the hard way choking on melted cheese from lasagna cause he didn’t chew like he should have. Luckily it happened at home and was able to assist him. Now he ALWAYS mindful.

  6. Guy who once saw Lyle Alzado at Newark Airport says:

    My Canon printer not working right. Have it networked to my laptop over WiFi. Now more than half the time whatever I print comes out partially blank. Ink supply not to blame as that is at around 80%. Have to now hook it up to my laptop via USB. Very inconvenient. And I don’t think the wireless router has anything to do with the problem. And NOT buying a new laptop when mine works just fine. Those can still be pretty expensive anyway.

  7. briana says:

    hi my name is briana i feel sos o so sad for my 1 couisn joanthan my cousin life cut so short .he could have been wiyh my other sister dayana in szme school like in middle highschool,junorhigh,collage then we both could became doctor from briana 8 years old

  8. dayana says:

    i miss my cousin joanthan i went by jonathan mom house to give her my scempy i ame daya a10 years old

  9. lakawak says:

    “I’m so afraid to take my chidlren to chool now”? GIVE ME A BREAK! A kid who doesn’t know how to chew can choke in hisown home just as easily.

    1. CarefulPArent says:

      lakawak, as insensitive as they think this sounds, I am with you!! I encourage my kids to chew at least 20 times minimum before swallowing.My son learned the hard way choking on melted cheese from lasagna cause he didn’t chew like he should have. Luckily it happened at home and was able to assist him. Now he ALWAYS mindful.

    2. Love NYC says:

      Choking can happen anywhere. I have had some pretty bad scares myself that reinforce how important it is not to eat and talk at the same time — not only for good manners, but for safety. Eating and multitasking do not mix well. This is an absolutely heartbreaking tragedy. Heartfelt sympathy goes out to his mom and others that love him.

Comments are closed.

More From CBS New York

BUY TICKETS NOW
Get Our Morning Briefs

Listen Live