Landlord Gives East Harlem Barber The Boot After 60 Years In Staple Shop

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A close shave is turning into a fresh start for an 80-year-old East Harlem barber.

Claudio Caponigro has been cutting hair and making friends at his barbershop at E. 116th Street for the past 60 years.

“They say, ‘Claudio you gave my father a cut, my son a cut, three generations of haircuts,” Caponigro, who is known in the neighborhood simply as “Claudio the Barber,” said.

1010 WINS’ Juliet Papa reports

This week his new landlord decided to raise the rent and oust Caponigro in favor of a new Chinese eatery.

“I’d be happy if I were to stay at this barbershop because this barbershop gave me everything,” Caponigro told 1010 WINS’ Juliet Papa.

Now, he is packing up his green barber chairs, mementos, and a cash register older than him.

“When I took down my grandchildren, my daughter’s pictures I wanted to cry, believe me,” Caponigro said.

But he won’t be going very far.

claudio Landlord Gives East Harlem Barber The Boot After 60 Years In Staple Shop

Claudio Caponigro in his new shop (credit: Juliet Papa/1010 WINS)

Dr. Alex Greenstein, a surgeon at Mount Sinai Hospital who owns a four-story walk-up just a few doors down from the shop, stepped in and made a deal with Caponigro to take over the ground floor where the shop will live on.

Comments

1. Jeff Rosen ret NYPD Sgt says:

Everyone’s knocking the landlord but there’s two sides to every story. Couldn’t it be possible the landlord couldn’t afford to keep offering Mr Caponigro low rent? Either way, I applaud the generosity of Dr Greenstein.

2. Bad writing says:

This is written by an amateur! Where is the comma? Why is there a no ending noun?

3. Karen says:

Dr Greensetin, a true mensch! Thank you for letting the neighborhood keep a good neighbor, a gentleman keep his dignity. To the robber baron – if it wasn’t broken, why mess with it. Happy and Healthy New Year to Claudio & Dr. G. May you both have many more happy and fulfilling years serving the community. Wish they had given the grinch’s name so I could boycott any & all of their business ventures.

4. Paul A. Toomey says:

Thank you Dr. Greestein for having compassion and the decency to come to the aid of a 80 year old barber & institution in the area. The new landlord should be ashamed of himself. Then again, I don’t think this person would ever be ashamed of anything. GREED has ruined more lives and ruined areas of the city. I wish Claudio the best and eighty more years in his new location. The landlord should choke on his new rent !!

5. Dana Gray-Lanyo says:

Just what our neighborhood needs ANOTHER Fast food Chinese Resturant. There are 3 in a 2 block radius!!

6. General says:

Thank you Dr. Greenstein!!! Hopefully the neighborhood will boycott the Chinese restaurant!! What nerve to the new landlord has to kick Mr. Caponigro out in favor or more money. Boycott the restaurant and make sure the space is vacant for a very long time and let this landlord lose money!!!

7. John Denton says:

Yes very much,Thank you Dr. Greenstein! To many people want to throw out the old for whatever reasons they have. You have kept one block from greed. I hope the New Year finds you well and happy!

8. Ronnie says:

Thank you Dr. Greenstein, for being a good neighbor, it’s almost like the commercial, sing the tune, close your eyes and poof! you’re in a new space, just like that. God bless the both of you.

Comments are closed.