NJ TRANSIT TRAIN CRASH: Latest | Transit Changes | Video | Photos | NJ TRANSIT | 1010 WINS | WCBS 880

Verizon Scraps Plan To Charge $2 Bill Pay ‘Convenience’ Fee

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) – After a customer backlash, Verizon Wireless is dropping a plan to start charging $2 for every payment subscribers make over the phone or online with their credit cards.

Verizon Wireless, the country’s largest cellphone company, announced Thursday that they would be introducing a $2 fee for every payment subscribers make over the phone or online with their credit cards.

In a statement on its website Friday, Verizon said “customer feedback” prompted the decision to drop the “convenience fee” it wanted to introduce on Jan. 15.

The fee came under scrutiny of the The Federal Communications Commission. “On behalf of American consumers, we’re concerned about Verizon’s actions and are looking into the matter,” the FCC told the New York Times.

Earlier, the company said the fee wouldn’t apply to electronic check payments or to automatic credit card payments set up through Verizon’s AutoPay system.

Customers were outraged over the new fee. Many Twitter users have tweeted about their fee anger, calling it a “greedy $2 fee.” Some say they’ll pay by check hoping to increase the company’s costs.

A petition on Change.org against the fees had gathered more than 57,000 names on Friday afternoon.

One Verizon customer told CBSNewYork.com “Let’s all pay our bills at the stores with bags of change and see how ‘convenient’ that is for them.”

AT&T Inc. offers a $10 gift card for those who set up AutoPay. Sprint Nextel Corp. charges subscribers who have caps on the fees they can rack up each month. Those people are charged $5 monthly unless they set up autopay.

Verizon’s landline division tried to implement a $3.50 fee for credit card payments last year, but backed down after complaints.

What do you think of the imposed fee? Sound off below

(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. disgusted says:

WHILE PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO LIVE AND GET THROUGH EACH DAY BECAUSE OF THIS DISGUSTING ECONOMY THESE GREEDY IGNORANT SELFISH PRICKS WANNA CHARGE ANOTHER 2$ FOR WHAT? THEIR SERVICE ISN’T THE BEST I HAD TO WAIT ON HOLD 30 MIN ONE TIME JUST TO SPEAK TO A REPRESENTATIVE. THIS IS JUST BELLIGERENT.

2. Peter Schwarz says:

They are the evil empire!!!!!

1. Schniff D. Cooley says:

You tell em’ Peter, make em’ smell your ass.

3. steve says:

I will start moving to the little guys soon. banks and phone companys

4. happy customer says:

well, it’s the same company that doesn’t want to agree with its unionized part of employees. mr. lowell mcadam is convinced that his bullying tactics will work everywhere and every time…

5. mj says:

great !!!! next up the fees you have to pay to “activate” a gift card

6. big ed says:

Verizon is a money hungry cash cow that has unreasonable profits. Don’t think that this is over with them. They backed down now but they will be back snooping around for other ways to increase rgeir revenue stream.
    Switch to Cablevision!!!!!!

1. The Realist says:

What is the definition of a “reasonable” profit? What should be the legal maximum?

7. Bklyn mom says:

I went to Verizon’s website and sent them a long message about this issue, and yes, I included my name and phone number as it was required. I guess a lot of people did this as they have now dropped their ridiculous idea.

8. CN says:

The FCC should also look into the outrageous $3.50 fee “Bill Matrix” currently charges Verizon land line customers for making payments by phone. When a customer tries to pay by phone Verizon switches the customer to Bill Matrix, which then charges the $3.50 fee in addition.

9. Paul says:

Boy these commentators are dumb. The fee is not once – it’s every month you dont use autopay; which is to say every month. And for the guy switching to Cablevision, this only applied to Verizon Wireless. It’s great everyone’s outraged but at least know what it is youre outraged over.

1. Sally Rogers says:

Ha Ha I was thinking exactly what you said.

1. Verizon Executive says:

I’m scheduled to make $25 million in 2011 in total compensation [salary, bonus, stock options, future stock options, etc.}. I’m disappointed you don’t like the new credit card fee. Don’t you want me to be paid well for doing a good job?

10. Manny says:

Notice that Verizon Wireless doesn’t mention the impending payment fee in the current bill. Are they expecting to catch customers by surprise?

11. Wolf says:

How many millions of customers does Verizon have? two dollars a month times how many millions? And they will lay off how many workers? Some executive will get a hefty bonus. Meanwhile service continues to be very bad.

1. Matt Yablonsky says:

That pretty much sums up what’s wrong in America. A humble million dollar bonus increase for one guy at the top equates to a yearly salary for how many verizon employees that may actually have a passion to improve the shameful cell service?

12. BJ says:

Somebody needs to get the facts straight ( If there are any FACTS) I read one place it was a one time fee. as in one and only one. Was that to be interpted as a yearly one time fee or a monthly one time fee or a fee that will occur only once in a lifetime ? If you consider that postage is .49 Cents then .49 times 12 equal $5.88 in postage per year So that $2.00 would be a savings of $3.88. If they send you the envelope with your paper bill. Which they wanted to go paperless what will that cost in the future ? We could all drop Big V, AT&T, and thge rest and get Trac phones. Reckon there would be some hot deals in about 6 months if that happened. I will if yall will.

1. Josh says:

BJ, the fee is $2 per one-time-payment. If you go on their website and submit a one-time credit card payment, you get hit with the $2 fee — each time. So every month you make a one-time payment, you get the $2 fee. Which equals $24 per year.

13. dianne forand says:

I have verizon, and had been happy with the fact that i got service everywhere, but I do not like the two year contract that you must be roped into even when you purchase a new phone. And with the introduction of the I phone and having to purchase data packages where other service providers have unlimited data for one low price, and now the fee to pay my bill??? i am very unhappy! I will either pay by check!

14. Sharon says:

Pay them for the privilege of paying them….Bloody Cheek!! I dropped Verizon two years ago for AT&T and I’m glad. They need a reality check. Times are hard and people go where they get the best deal.

15. Irate in New York City says:

I seem to recall that online payments were supposedly the “wave of the future” and it would be a step towards a paperless society. If Verizon implements this $2 fee, they will succeed in getting me to do what all the hundreds of sales pitches from Cablevision couldn’t do. I will drop Verizon like a hot potato and switch to Cablevision’s telephone plan, along with their TV and Internet service. By the way, this is after being a Verizon (Bell Telephone/NY Telephone) customer for almost 50 years!

16. Christine says:

Go back to mailing checks, the check and the stamp cost less, plus you give the Postal service some business.

17. Raymond Leslie says:

No more nickles and dimes. It’s now dollars.

18. Robert Paul Hohn says:

Take the fury to Twitter and Facebook… this will end up like a situation similar to Bank of America’s planned debit card fee.

19. JOE says:

DROP VERIZON LIKE A BIG BANK

20. PaPa Joe says:

Is Verizon the only provider? DROP THEM ….. They’ll do what they want to do anyway. They have a larger legal staff than you do and, probably, more money. Complaing is not the way. Throw them out !!!!!!!

21. None Of Your Business says:

I had Verizon landline telephone service for over 30 years, beginning back when it was all owned by AT&T and Verizon was known as New York Telephone. When I got internet, that, too, was handled by Verizon.

I can truthfully say that Verizon is one of the worst telephone companies on God’s earth. The company’s staff redefine stupid/idiot/moron. Trying to get Verizon to restore telephone service due to frequent disruptions was almost impossible. Last August I dropped Verizon for Time Warner for my telephone and internet.

So far, I’m quite happy. Something I never was with Verizon.

22. JONNY ROCKET says:

REVOLT PEOPLE!!! REVOLT! DON’T FALL FOR THIS CRAP!!!

23. Gem says:

ONLY ONE COMMENT??!!! Come on people — this blows!! I say: COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN until they back off!! They need to stop thinking of new ways to overcharge people constantly!!!

1. Lydia says:

We all have to stick together and stick it to them. We can either switch providers or pay at the stores. That would truly show them how stupid they are when there are so many other options. I will not pay the fee to pay their bill. They are just plain dumb.

2. NOT HAPPY says:

VERIZON IS LIKE EXXON MOBIL THEY HAVE TO MAKE MORE MONEY EVERY QUARTER, IF ONLY IF THEY WOULD PUT IT BACK TO UPGRADING THEIR EQUIP. AND GIVE BETTER SERVICE TO ITS CUSTOMERS. WHAT ABOUT THE DROPPED SERVICE 3 TIMES THIS MONTH FOR WIRELESS 4G CUSTOMERS.

24. Esmerelda says: