Bloomberg Defends New Anti-Obesity Campaign: ‘Do You Wanna Have People Lose Their Legs?’

NEW YORK (WCBS 880) – The New York City health department has declared war on oversized restaurant portions, going after the food industry in a subway ad campaign.

WCBS 880’s Rich Lamb On The Story

One poster shows an overweight diabetic man who’s had a leg amputated. The copy says, “Cut your portions. Cut your risk.”

WCBS 880 reporter Rich Lamb asked the mayor whether that’s too graphic.

“What do you wanna do? Do you wanna have people lose their legs or do you wanna show them what happens so that they won’t lose their legs? Take your poison, which do you want?” answered Mayor Michael Bloomberg on Tuesday.

His honor said, “You can’t have it both ways. Do you want to help people or do you not want to annoy people?”

What do you think? Are the ads too graphic? Sound off in the comments section below!

1. Mike says:

Obesity in America is growing at alarming numbers. Identifying what may be causing obesity is the first step in the fight obesity battle.

Obesity in America: The Growing Dilemma

2. Martin says:

let me guess… you’re fat?

3. jerseyjoey says:

Well he you can start with New Jersey Gov Christie as his poster boy.

4. lieutenantdan says:

You have to be kidding me!
    Another campaign to frighten people as if New Yorkers do not have enough to be concerned about. Showing people with no legs telling tales of how they wish they would have cut back on their food intake is a form of a over controlling and bullying by a Mayor who lacks compassion for the average person. A mayor that always has to have it his way.

We will now have to be subjected to these kind of images while we tune into NY1 for the weather forecast in the morning as we rush eating our breakfast in time to take the subway to work. Funny thing, I never see a campaign saying that working too many hours a day is not good for your health. I am sure that people who sit or stand for eight plus hours a day develop back and spine problems somewhere down on the road of life.
    I can see it now, the copy for the ad campaign will read,
    More pay for less work and better health!

My point is I believe that using scare tactics in the way that the Mayor has used them is a form of bullying and are counterproductive.
    I believe that there is a more civilized way of getting the point across.

Mayor, when I see these commercials I dive for the remote to change the channel as fast as I can and I am sure that I am not the only one doing this.

1. ttrue nyc says:

SO smoking a pack a day and drinking a gallon of coke is ok?

1. KPMc says:

If that is what a person chooses to do then, yes, it is ok.

Does anyone remember what this country is founded on?

Comments are closed.