N.Y. Attorney General: ‘Prescription Drugs Are Permeating Our Society’

Long Island's Oxycodone Problem Said To Be Getting Out Of Control

NEW YORK(CBSNewYork) — An Oxycodone epidemic is running rampant through New York State, according to State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman.

Former addicts told CBS 2’s Jennifer McLogan on Wednesday that their lives used to revolve around chasing the high from the prescription painkiller.

“Like no experience I never felt before, I constantly tried to chase that, to recapture that high,” Raymond Broccoli said.

“My life revolved around trying to get high, and I would do anything at the time to do it,” added Brian Gillam, another former addict.

Both men are now drug abuse counselors at Phoenix House. They said they understand the desperation.

The latest statistics are staggering: New York’s pill-popping epidemic has reached crisis proportions. Narcotic painkiller prescriptions are up 36 percent, and Oxycodone prescriptions are up 82 percent.

“Prescription drugs are permeating our society. It’s also something we have the ability to control,” Schneiderman said.

There have also been concerns raised about “Doctor shopping” following David Laffer’s murder spree inside a Medford drug store last Father’s Day, and the recent shooting death of an ATF agent during a Seaford pharmacy robbery attempt.

Jeffery Reynolds of the Long Island Council on Drug Dependence said that the epidemic is getting out of control.

“It is among the worst public health crises that Long Island has ever faced, and the body count is increasing by the day,” Reynolds said.

Overdose-related hospitalizations are swiftly on the rise. Admissions in Nassau county rose 57 percent and 40 percent in Suffolk County.

Attorney General Schneiderman wants immediate online real-time tracking that would require physicians and pharmacists to report and review a patient’s history prior to prescribing and distributing a controlled substance.

“In that instant we could immediately know if there is any kind of doctor shopping going on or whether there is duplicate therapy,” said Joanne Hoffman of the Long Island Pharmacists Society.

One doctor said he won’t prescribe the drugs without checking a patient in the database.

“If you are prescribing these narcotics and you don’t have the time (to check) don’t prescribe them,” said Dr Thomas Jan.

Experts want to strengthen the narcotic database and go after the bad doctors. They also want to make treatment available for addicts before they become desperate and violent.

What do you think of the prescription drug abuse epidemic? And what can be done to stop it? Leave your comments below.

Comments

1. patra says:

I know a few people who have permanently overcome their addictions. Have never had a relapse. Not one, IIn that case they are no longer recovering. They have beaten their addiction and are cured.

2. Ann Mason says:

I have a problem with the use of the term “former addicts” in the above article. Although some people overcome their addictions permanently, they should never assume they are former addicts. A person who deals with an addiction is “recovering,” and should always be alert to behavior which might encourage a relapse. I am neither a drug abuser nor a substance abuse counselor, but I’ve been a witness to many of these tragedies.

3. Realloveto Hydrocodonemadrid says:

There are quite a number of strong narcotic pain relievers, which encloses narcotic drugs, which many doctors prescribed to help alleviating your arthritis or acute pain symptoms.

Mention Findrxonline.net that some of the most commonly prescribed pain relievers are collectively combined with acetaminophen (Tylenol).

4. homedrugtestkit says:

Myteensavers counselors have been warning people about this epidemic. It’s not just adults. There is a surge in a number of cases involving kids. Prescription drugs are now the second most popular drugs for kids, after marijuana.

The answer is for parents to get more involved. Legitimate patients need these medicines to survive or cope with pain. These pills were not created so kids could have pill parties and abuse them.

The pill problems lead kids to one of two things: a heroin addiction or death.

Parents need to talk to their kids and hold them accountable. Home drug testing is an excellent option. Just having a home drug test on the counter has a big impact on teenagers. They go out and tell their parents, “I can’t try those drugs, my parents test me.”

5. DDbronx says:

I am a pharmacist, these looney politicians are a bun of idiots, knowing nothing and care no one. There are junkies, the DEA never arrests them or if they do, the government release them early due to budget crisis. DEA cuts off supply claiming too many abusers, so unintentionally they punish the terminal and severe injured patients. I swear to uphold to the law, but we are vulnerable to the abusers and hated by the sufferers. I pray my day. We report all users and MDs to DEA, don’t tell me they don’t know who is the abusers are.

6. Marvin Umbras says:

We already ban everything God grows.

7. KEEP N IT REAL says:

FOLLOW THE MONEY TRAIL AND SEE HOW MUCH THESE DRUG COMPANIES MAKE PEDDLING THIS CRAP. IT’S ALL ABOUT MONEY AND GREED , YES , SOME PEOPLE DO NEED THIS CLASS OF PAIN KILLER TO LIVE A NORMAL PRODUCTIVE LIFE . THE AMOUNTS BEING DISPENSED MAKE THIS LOOK LIKE LEGAL PILL MILLS . ANOTHER POWERFUL LOBBYING INDUSTRY STRIKES AGAIN !!!!

8. mj says:

yes lets ban EVERYTHING that can help someone as long as someone else can find a criminal way to use it. these politicians are out of control

1. Oxyman says:

as a handicapped person I depend on nearly 300mg per day and do not abuse them. these people, the criminal element is ruining my lie and if you knew what it was like to walk a half mile in my shoes you would get it. Shame Shame and bloody Shame on you punks.

1. Oxyman says:

my life … speeling type O. sorry.

9. Ellen says:

I had a knee replacement not to long ago and was put on oxycodone for a few months, and can’t see all the hoopla over this drug. All it did for me was make me sleepy and tired. If they call that a high then I’ll eat my hat. I couldn’t wait to get off it, and all the other drugs they had me on.

Comments are closed.