Maksim Gelman, Convicted In NYC Stabbing Spree, To Be Sentenced Next Week
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) – A 24-year-old man who admitted to stabbing his stepfather and two others to death in a rampage across the city will be sentenced next week.
His sentencing had been scheduled for Wednesday but was postponed to Jan. 18. No plea deal was offered.
Gelman said he wanted to get out of his holding cell and start serving his time in a permanent facility. He says the change in plea came after psychiatrist recently said that Gelman couldn’t argue he was not guilty by reason of insanity.
After killing his stepfather, Aleksandr Kuznetsov, 54, in the family’s Brooklyn apartment, police said Gelman went to the home of a female acquaintance, Yelena Bulchenko, 20, where he killed her 56-year-old mother.
Gelman then stabbed a man during a carjacking before plowing into pedestrian Stephen Tanenbaum, 62, who died from his injuries. Authorities said he then attacked a livery cab driver and another man in a separate carjacking.
He was subdued by police at the Times Square subway station after slashing subway passenger Joseph Lozito, of Philadelphia.
(TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)