Midwood Residents Angry, Frightened Over Anti-Semitic Graffiti

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — More anti-Semitic graffiti has been found in Brooklyn.

Assemblyman Dov Hikind was woken up shortly after midnight by neighbors who told him that swastikas and a hate message had been found near his home on East 5th street in Midwood, Brooklyn.

“I live right here.  All over the community here, swastikas,” said Hikind. “Mother just told me her 11-year-old said to her this morning, seeing the swatstika, ‘Can the Holocaust happen here?’  Unbelievable, unbelievable.”

Hikind noted that residents appeared highly agitated by the most recent in a string of anti-Semitic attacks.

“Imagine coming home and seeing swastikas painted on your property? This is just the latest in a series of ongoing anti-Semitic occurrences in Brooklyn and throughout New York City, and people are justifiably very concerned and upset,” he said.

“It is very upsetting.  I have little children that can actually read now.  When you read a sign like that and they ask me what it’s about, it’s very difficult to describe it to little children,” said resident David Moore.

“My father survived the Holocaust from Greece and, for me, to come here and see this is shocking,” said resident Ronnie Battino.

Hikind called on the NYPD to use every available resource to bring the perpetrators to justice.

“Everybody wants to go home.  They want to come home and go to work and come back.  They want to know that their family, kids and everybody is going to be okay,” said resident Eli Tober.

Residents say police need to do more to crack down on hate crime.

“It’s absolutely outrageous that this is going on,” said resident David Rothschild.

“This is the heart of the Jewish community, a lot of Holocaust survivors.  That swastika to someone might be grafitti, to people in this community is the ultimate symbol of hate,” said Hikind.

What can be done to stop the growing trend of anti-Semitic vandalism in the New York/New Jersey area? Leave your thoughts below…

Comments

1. rabbi dr. bernhard rosenberg says:

LIKE IN HIGHLAND PARK, NEW JERSEY. ANOTHER JEW WHO DISGRACES HIS PEOPLE. The swastikas in Brooklyn were caused by a Jew. SHAME ON THEM. This feeds the neo nazis , skin heads, white supremacists and other anti-Semites we have being laughed at by the real anti-semites..RABBI DR. BERNHARD ROSENBERG

none of this was made up. shame on our senators and the governor and the congressman.

Vandals scrawl hate messages on new cars in Edison – YouTube

2 min – Aug 15, 2010 – Uploaded by TheVinVid
    Rabbi Bernhard Rosenberg said that he has noticed an up-tick in hate messages in Edison …

, January 12, there was major meeting in Bergen County regarding the recent swastikas and attempted murder of a Rabbi and his family. The FBI has been brought into this and the meeting includes representatives from the governor’s office and homeland security. While I applaud these efforts I wonder why when my synagogue had swastikas, when a Yeshiva student in Edison was assaulted, when the Edison Lexus dealership was vandalized with swastikas and numerous other areas of Edison were swatikaed we did not hear from the governor’s office nor was there a mass meeting of state leaders and politicians. Several years ago while walking to Synagogue on a friday night around Halloween, my wife and I were attacked by teenagers in a van throwing eggs. They waited for us to leave the synagogue and pelted us again while driving off. Why was there silence at that time from the governor’s office? I warned about all this happening years ago and continue to warn the public about the rise of anti-semitism as well as hatred for all minority groups . Unless and until the judicial system hands out harsh punishment, including real jail time to these perpetrators, including teen agers, nothing will change. Writing an essay on the Holocaust or doing community service means nothing to those blinded by bigotry and hatred.

Rabbi Dr. Bernhard Rosenberg

Rabbi Dr. Bernhard Rosenberg

2. ablecynic says:

It is interesting that the most liberal community in the country — New York City — with the most ‘diversity’ and the most liberal Democrats, has the on-going problem with anti-Jewish violence and threats. Could it be that those who supposedly are “liberal” aren’t so liberal after all? It is also of interest to note that the Democratic Party expects the Jews to vote for its liberal candidates while in turn, the Democrats try to punish Israel and placate Hamas and the PLO. If only our Jewish brothers and sisters could see that the liberal Democrats would just as soon see them gone, they might wake up from the liberal dream and start to vote for the conservatives. After all, the person who “cannot be named” who was the leader of Germany from 1933 – 1945 was anti-Christian, anti-Jewish, atheistic, and anti-wealthy (the 1-percent). Sounds like one of Pelosi’s followers to me.

3. adolf the great says:

I would bet anything that a person of jewish descent is behind it the vandalism themselves trying to gain more sympathy, attention, and divert your attention from the real issues that these disgusting pigs are doing.

they want you to feel sorry for them for the misery and suffering the israeli jew does to the palestinians/ not to mention the fact that they rape our government, rape our resources, rape out banks, they are just pure rapists. that is the true definition of a jew if you ask me. they have been doing this since the beginning of time.

well my feelings are not hidden. i only wish germany finished the job and exterminated these sub-human animals. look at what the world has become.

they are the misery of the world and will be the demise of amerika very soon.

you will see.

1. Dave says:

You realize your hate filled post gives credibility to what they say, right? Kind of like the holocaust that happened/etc. You really aren’t too bright. Somehow I don’t see you showing this anger towards Al Queda and people who stone women to death.

Just a guess. Also, if you are a world famous holocaust denier, it means adolf failed. SO he wouldn’t be so god damn great.

4. Moshe says:

Channel 5 just reported a Jewish man was arrested as a suspect in several of these incidents. Dov Hikind should slow down before predicting another holocaust.

5. WHERE'S REV AL WHEN U NEED HIM? says:

HOW COME AL SHARPTON ISN’T IN THE NEWS CONDEMNING THIS !!

6. Bernard says:

How ignorant you all are. You must be the ones saying the holocaust never existed. You poor uneducated morons!! As the son of an 88 year old holocaust survivor who still wakes up every night screaming with nightmares, and who came from a family of 16 including his parent , only he and 3 other siblings survived. If a cross was hung somewhere and a black doll was burned in effigy, i have no doubt Sharpton annd his band of zealots would be screaming bloody murder and the whole black community would be up in arms.

7. Linda says:

The ultra-orthodox jews are doing this themselves in Israel trying to intimadate others, maybe the same thing is happening in Brooklyn.

8. Linda says:

Why aren’t these people in the neighborhood forming a neighborhood watch and walking their streets themselves. If people want their neighborhoods to stay safe they need to be involved themselves, the police can’t be everywhere.

1. Dr. Himmler says:

because they have their own police not to mention they have their own bureau within the nypd that assigns officers specifically for these sub-human pigs that have the world by the balls.

so why should they roam the streets in the freezing cold when someone else could do it for them. they do anything for themselves. they are nothing but sub-human puke in my eyes.

9. Ash Andersen says:

THE ORTHODOX AND RELIGIOUS TREAT NON-JEWS LIKE CRAP…. They feel that if the neighborhood is predominantly Jewish that EVERYONE ELSE must abide by their rules. This happened (as it has fro thousands of years) because the come in and try to take over an area, treat non-Jews like second class citizens, engage in shady business and so much more. If they would life as a community with all the other types of people in these area’s, then there would not be a problem.
    I SAY THIS BECAUSE I LIVED IT.

10. Tom says:

Such Hatred…Today we should all be coming together to remember the great things that Rev. King accomplished..and honor him…NOT whining about jews, swastikas and insurance fraud!

11. BklynJew says:

Assemblyman Dov Hikind I urge you to pass a bill that all Jews in America must live in Miami Beach.Start in Brooklyn but leave a few good Jewish Delis

12. Irrefutable says:

Einstein was the only respectable Jew to come along in 4.5 billion years.

13. Ally says:

Tired of Nazi’s being allowed to exist. But I can’t stop you and you can’t stop us.

14. Ally says:

Tired or Nazi’s being allowed to exist. But I can’t stop you and you can’t stop us.

15. J A says:

Wow boogababy you just typed 2300 characters on why the Jewish people are bad.

You put all people in one basket, if the Latin people were put in one basket everyone would say that it is ridicules or racist.
    You said that there are Jewish neighborhoods, have you been to the Bronx, latin music was developed in that neighborhood. NY is beautiful because of the flavor every different culture gives to that neighborhood.
    You go to Germany and you get German restaurants and France for French restaurants. So here in NYC I can travel the world Israel, Spain, Egypt and not have to get on a plane.

Good Luck

16. whatever says:

wow u might just be the one who painted those swastikas with all ur hate towards the jews…u just needa get a grip and realize that theyre better than you and ur nothing abut a jealous b***h

17. Meme Meyagi says:

whats is done about 7 million mooslime terrorists living in usa?

1. Rick Stone says:

Stop your nonsense. How is your comment relevant to the article? Frankly I would not be surprised if this was an inside job to curry sympathy.

18. Joe Stein says:

I’m an ultra orthodox Jew living in Brooklyn. I think that the more publicity this so-called “assemblyman” Dov Hikind is giving these incidents, the more they’ll occur. I don’t know whom this politician claims to be representing, but he’s certainly not representing the community when he’s going around screaming everywhere “anti-semites”. This is what these hate writers want to get, “attention-attention-attention”. I think that “Mr. Assemblyman” should keep his mouth shut and do something that would benefit the community, instead of fueling this stupid hate writing game.

1. Ricardo Stein says:

I agree with you. There’s a munchausen by proxy analog going on here…the perps just can come into these neighborhoods and do this stuff without someone seeing them or them getting caught. My belief is that it’s coming from within.

2. Ash Andersen says:

I SAY THIS BECAUSE I LIVED IT.
      It is not a Jewish neighborhood, it is America!

1. Dave says:

How do you think Chinatown and Harlem treated me? Or a white christian neighborhood to a black family or a gay teen? You dope.

19. ALL PEOPLE ARE CREATED EQUAL. says:

But why people hate jews now- a- days…has to b some thing. I dont know……..
    BUT ALL HUMANS ARE CREATED EQUAL. WHY WHY WHY WHY???????????

1. shorty says:

We are not all created equal…evidently you have never taken a physical examination at an armed forces induction center!

20. rabbi rosenberg says:

The FBI has been brought into this and the meeting includes representatives from the governor’s office and homeland security. While I applaud these efforts I wonder why when my synagogue had swastikas, when a Yeshiva student in Edison was assaulted, when the Edison Lexus dealership was vandalized with swastikas and numerous other areas of Edison were swatikaed we did not hear from the governor’s office nor was there a mass meeting of state leaders and politicians. Several years ago while walking to Synagogue on a friday night around Halloween, my wife and I were attacked by teenagers in a van throwing eggs. They waited for us to leave the synagogue and pelted us again while driving off. Why was there silence at that time from the governor’s office? I warned about all this happening years ago and continue to warn the public about the rise of anti-semitism as well as hatred for all minority groups . Unless and until the judicial system hands out harsh punishment, including real jail time to these perpetrators, including teen agers, nothing will change. Writing an essay on the Holocaust or doing community service means nothing to those blinded by bigotry and hatred. RABBI DR. BERNHARD ROSENBERG

1. J says:

Sorry to say Rabbi, but if community service, and writing an essay on the Holocaust mean nothing, what makes you think jail time will? The times are just getting worse and worse,

21. Get with the program says:

It was in the newspapers that the police were calling it an insurance scam.

1. J says:

Sorry, you ,missed the point. I too read the stories, they based the insurance idea on the fact that there were no fingerprints on the beer cans? Like I said, TV crime shows always show ” we caught the guy on fingerprint evidence. I am glad they left the cans though. The saliva in the cans is the DNA evidence that we need to get these guys.

JA

22. J A says:

How do you know it was an insurance scam. What is your evidence.? Every crime show on prime-time uses fingerprints as evidence, so it is not to far fetched to think that the bad guys watch TV.

When hate and crime occurs at the same time it is, now you say it a ” “..

1. Jack Walsh says:

Actually, It was an Insurance scam! I was notified by NYPD last night as they were investigating this crime and I asked the same question.

23. Say what? says:

Midwood Brooklyn – this is the same place where cars were firebombed in a hate crime against Jews. Except it wasn’t a hate crime, it was an insurance scam. But never miss a good opportunity to scream anti-semitism.

1. Alex says:

Yeah, right. And the Holocaust was just another insurance fraud by evil Jews.

Comments are closed.