Complaints Rising Against Loud Party Crowds In Hell’s Kitchen

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — You just can’t seem to take the “hell” out of Hell’s Kitchen.

The gentrified neighborhood now known as Clinton, which was once a haven for hookers and violent criminals, apparently has a new brand of hell raisers.

1010 WINS’ John Montone reports

Residents and business owners tell the Wall Street Journal rowdy young bar hoppers toss bottles, urinate and vomit on the sidewalks.

Some are concerned the area may slip back into its old bad habits thanks to an influx of trendy bars and restaurants.

LISTEN: WCBS 880’s Paul Murnane In Manhattan

Others say they’d rather deal with rambunctious party people than the criminals who used to roam the streets.

One woman who was raised in the now upscale neighborhood tells 1010 WINS’ John Montone it’s a safer and cleaner place.

“Our parents would not allow us to walk down the street,” she said. “Now it’s super expensive to live here, we actually have to move back to Brooklyn next month because we can’t afford it anymore.”

One man said loud crowds are just a part of the city’s DNA.

“Think about it, you live in the heart of the apple…it is a little loud but Manhattan has always been loud,” he said.

St. Sen. Tom Duane and other officials are looking into the complaints.

A meeting will be held Thursday night to address the rising number of nightspots.

Do you think the area is getting out of control? Let us know below…

Comments

1. Peter Schwarz says:

9th avenue is triving and in a great way. I love all the restaurants and bars, all the action. I would take this hood over the stale UES or farther up on the West side any day. this has never been a quiet neighborhood. If you want quiet, move to another part of the city or out all together. Wouldnt you rather have thriving bars then empty boarded up store fronts? Or do you just want more Duane Reeds? NYers can be such babies. Suck it up and enjoy the money that is rolling into the area. And before you douch bags bash me, I been living here 15 yrs.

1. KPMc says:

You are proving my point!

Temporary NYer. You’ll go back home again in a few years, leaving nothing but stale urine and dried vomit.

1. Peter Schwarz says:

Shove it, pal.

2. KPMc says:

Who comes from suburbs and farm areas and expects it to be quiet? Its those out of towners that make all the noise. Not full time NYers.

Its people that come to the city for a few years, make a mess of their lives and then go home again.

If you were really born and raised here you’d know that.

3. Scott G. Brown says:

As a Pioneer of the Stonewall Inn riots of 1969, along with writer, Edmund White, I tell of my visits to “Hell’s Kitchen” in the 60s after coming home with a T***k from the East side’s “Mister D’s”.( I wonder is it still there). After the episode, at 3 AM, I walked safely to the 42nd Street Subway without incident, and the trips to “Hell’s Kitchen was certainly worth them. (http://amzn.com/1460948645)

4. Manhattan Boy says:

No KPMc – I’m not from Ohio. I was born and raised right here. I was refering to all of the beeatches (such as yourself) who come here from quiet suburbs, rural farm areas (or other areas) and expect it go be quiet after 6pm. In a place where 8 to 12 million people work. live and play on a daily basis it is impossible to have total peace and quiet. There are plenty of parks where you can go feed the birds and it will be quiet-ER, but if you are in an area where there is nightlife you have to learn to live with the atmosphere. If you can’t handle it then go away to the country.

5. Bill for NY says:

nice call KPMc, that was a total out-of-towner comment, not native. think they live the big city life, don’t realize its people like them that made the city lame like it is today.

6. Mayor Koch's dental bridge says:

You mean for your 2 million + dollar condo you want quiet?

7. Smoochie says:

I worked on 9th avenue and 53rd street in the 1950’s
    it was also a lot of fun ,not as bad as this story would make it .
    What you had was Junkie’s ,but what junkie is dangerous tying
    their shoes on a doorstep for 3 hours? ..then keeling over.

8. Manhattan Boy says:

Whaaa ! It’s too noisy ! Whaaa! If you don’t like noise then move to a farm in the middle of Oklahoma ! It’s New York City and especially in Manhattan you are always going to have noise at all hours of the day. Be grateful the noise isn’t a constant ringing of gunshots that you hear in the projects uptown or in the south Bronx.

1. KPMc says:

Said like a true temporary NYer from Ohio. Manhattan boy my azz.. Go back to the family business you ran away from, doofus.

1. Manhattan Boy says: