NEW YORK (WFAN) — Bombers fans knew this day was coming.
After 17 seasons with the Yankees, Jorge Posada will officially announce his retirement during a Tuesday morning press conference, the team said Monday.
WFAN’s Sweeny Murti was first to report Posada’s decision to walk away from baseball earlier this month. The presser is scheduled for 11 a.m. at Yankee Stadium.
Posada’s final year in pinstripes was also his most trying.
He lost his job as the Yankees’ starting catcher to Russell Martin before the season began. And who could forget the messy May incident when manager Joe Girardi dropped Posada, the then-full-time DH, to ninth in the batting order. Posada asked out of the lineup and started such a firestorm that he ended up apologizing the next day.
Girardi eventually took away Posada’s full-time DH job, using him mostly against right-handers.
But Posada had a fitting resurgence. He was in the lineup for all five ALDS games (.429), and provided the big hit in the team’s AL East clincher.
“I gave it all on the field,” a teary-eyed Posada said after the Yankees’ playoff ouster. He finished 2011 batting .235 with 14 homers and 44 RBIs.
The 40-year-old ends his career with a .273 batting average, 275 homers, 1,065 RBIs and five World Series titles — all with the Yankees.
What’s your all-time favorite Posada moment? Be heard in the comments below…