Travel + Leisure Magazine Names New York As The Rudest City In America

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The nerve!

Travel + Leisure magazine has determined New York is now the rudest city in America, knocking three-time champion Los Angeles out of the top spot.

Some New Yorkers tell 1010 WINS’ Terry Sheridan we’re just misunderstood.

1010 WINS’ Terry Sheridan reports

“There are great people in New York, we’re just in a rush,” one man said. “New York is an upbeat place… we don’t sleep, you know, 24/7 – go, go, go.”

“We want to get to where we gotta go,” another man said. “It’s not a bad city, I’ve been to other places where they’re ruder.”

T+L asked readers to rank 35 cities for its annual survey in a number of categories including best pizza and most pedestrian-friendly streets.

Judging by the results, there did seem to be a trend: the bigger the city, the bigger the attitude.

People in smaller cities tend to take life a little easier, so it may come as no surprise that New Orleans, Savannah and Charleston were all ranked in the top five cities for friendliness.

Everything moves at a New York minute in the Big Apple, so every once in a while, we may lose our patience with tourists when they stop in the middle of the sidewalk to gawk at the skyscrapers.

Here’s the full list:

15. San Francisco
    16. Houston
    17. Seattle
    18. Providence, RI
    19. San Diego
    20. Salt Lake City

Do you think we deserve the title? Which city do you think is the rudest? Let us know below…

Comments

1. Steve M. says:

One reason that new yorkers are so rude stems from former mayor Rudolph Giulliani’s infamos motto: Our city can kick you cities ass.

How about buying T-Shirts with slogans saying: “Welcome to New York, duck motherf****r ?!

Or idiots walking around bragging “I’m from New York peoples better recognize me or get a beat down!”

I’ve met folks from other states and notice how they’re a little more friendlier.

All the racism, sexism, anti-religious, homophobic rantings doesn’t help either.

2. Paul says:

20 years ago N.Y.C would never be first place on the “most rude” list, thats because we didn`t have as many immigrants living here as we do now. Of course the liberal establishment will never admit to this.

3. Crystal Helbig says:

HAA! PEOPLE FROM EVERY CULTURE ARE THERE. AMD THEY DO NOT FORGET HOW HARD IT WAS MAYBE TO GET THERE, NO THESE PEOPLE WOULD GIVE YOU THE SHIRT OFF THEIR BAK IF YOU NEEDED. AND DURING 911 STUCK TOGETHER WHILE THIS COUNTRY WATCCHED FROM THERE HOMES SAFE AND FROM A T.V. THERE WAS NO MASS STAMPEDE OR RIOTS OR THIEVES. PEOPLE STUCK TOGETHER AND PRAYED. NOTHING LIKE OTHER PLACES. YOU WILL NOT EVER FIND HEARTS LIKE NEW YORK CITY. GRACEFUL AND KIND KNOWLEDGE AND COMPASSION. PEOPLE FROM ALLOVER THIS WORLD IN ONE PLACE. NEW YORK IS WAY CROWDED BUT FULL OF LOVE!

4. CRYSTAL HELBIG says:

ABSOLUTELY WRONG. NEW YORK IS A CITY OF PEOPLE FROM ALLOVER THE WORLD. WHITE BLACK CHINESE INDIAN ARAB JAPANESE IRISH GERMAN. ALBANIAN! SPANISH! THEY ARE PEOPLE WHO KNOW HOW HARD LIFE IS AND HOW HARD MAYBE TO EVEN GET WHERE THEY ARE. NEW TORKERS WOULD GIVE YOU THE COAT OFF THEIR BACK AND WHISTLE ON THE WAY HOME OR IN DISASTOR HOLD YOUR HAND AND NOT BE ALONE. RUDEST PLACES IN AMERICA ARE THE SMALL TOWNS WHO NOTHING OF THE WORLD.

5. JL says:

REGARDING NEW YORKERS AND THEIR ROAD DRIVING HABITS, I HAVE LIVED AND WORKED IN NEW YORK 95% OF MY LIFE – NOW RECENTLY, OVER THE RIVER LIVING IN NEW JERSEY AND STILL TRAVEL OVER “A BRIDGE” TO NEW YORK TO WORK….SO I THINK I QUALIFY TO SAY “YES NEW YORKERS ARE (MAYBE NOT THE WORST) VERY RUDE PEOPLE… I NOW HAVE NEW JERSEY LICENSE PLATES AND WHEN I DRIVE THE SPEED LIMIT TO TRY AND SAVE GAS, – WATCH OUT – EVERY NEW YORK PLATE THAT PASSES ME, CUTS ME OFF, PASSES WITH NO SIGNAL (P.S. – I HAVE A SMALLER CAR) WANTS TO SIMPLY RUN ME OFF THE ROAD WITH THEIR NO TIME TO WASTE, ROAD RAGE MENTALITY… I SEE IT AND FEEL IT EVERYDAY I DRIVE… YOU CAN’T DO THE SPEED LIMIT – THEY’LL KILL YOU” OTHERWISE..SO… RUDE IN THAT SENSE – THEY “TAKE THE CROWN.”
    OTHERWISE TO BE MORE SPECIFIC, –

IT IS ALL SO EVIDENT WHEN YOU CROSS INTO THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS.

6. JL says:

REGARDING NEW YORKERS AND THEIR ROAD RIVING HABITS, I HAVE LIVED AND WORKED IN NEW YORK 95% OF MY LIFE – NOW RECENTLY, OVER THE RIVER LIVING IN NEW JERSEY AND STILL TRAVEL OVER A BRIDGE TO NEW YORK TO WORK….SO I THINK I QUALIFY TO SAY “YES NEW YORKERS ARE (MAYBE NOT THE WORST) VERY RUDE PEOPLE… I NOW HAVE NEW JERSEY LICENSE PLATES AND WHEN I DRIVE THE SPEED LIMIT – WATCH OUT – EVERY NEW YORK PLATE THAT PASSES ME, CUTS ME OFF, PASSES WITH NO SIGNAL (P.S. – I HAVE A SMALLER CAR) WANTS TO SIMPLY RUN ME OFF THE ROAD WITH THEIR NO TIME TO WASTE, ROAD RAGE MENTALITY… I SEE IT AND FEEL IT EVERYDAY I DRIVE… YOU CAN’T DO THE SPEED LIMIT – THEY’LL KILL YOU” OTHERWISE..SO… RUDE IN THAT SENSE – THEY TAKE THE CROWN. OTHERWISE TO BE MORE SPECIFIC, – “STATEN ISLANDERS” , ARE BY FAR THE RUDEST, MOST SELF CENTERED, WANNA BE GANGSTER MENTALITY, GIVE THE 18 YEAR OLD A MERCEDES, PARK IN MY SPOT YOU’RE DEAD, LET YOUR DOG CRAP “NEAR” MY PROPERTY I’LL SHOOT YOU, MIDDLE DIGIT WAVING JACK ASSES IN THE COUNTRY… “THEY’RE THE WORST”… OUTSIDE THAT FULL OF IT’S OWN MENTALITY SUBURB- N.Y. R’S ARE GIVING PEOPLE – WHEN THEY FIND THE TIME TO SLOW DOWN !

7. IL Stranger says:

I’ve never been to NYC but I’ve been to Chicago and they have the rudest people there. Talk about horrible drivers!!

8. mg says:

25 years of living in NYC has taught me – because NYC is so big – it has more of everything. Rude people. And generally civil and nice people.

9. Sandra says:

I’m a native New Yorker, grew up here and lived and/or worked in all of the five boroughs here for 2/3’s of my life. I think NYC is tops in culture, diversity, intellectual activities, and many other areas of life. But although I found it a friendly and open place as a child and young adult, I can only agree that it has become the most unfriendly city in the country. People are routinely arrogant, rude, callous and just uncaring about anyone but themselves. The kind person is a rare one. When I take a vacation, I go to a small town in the south or midwest, near the country, not just for the woodlands and scenic vistas, but to get a dose of humanity and kindness. One almost forgets what it is to be human, and humane, here.

I think the recent decades of ‘greed is good’ when New York became a top financial center but neglected the arts and cultural life (with rents NO artist could afford) helped changed this city., amongst other factors. It is not the town I grew up in, and has less and less to offer in the balance.

The worst thing about this city is that friendship and community has become totally devalued here- people are only interested in knowing another person for some financial or personal gain. It’s hurtful and it’s sad. And when you look at the faces of New Yorkers on the street, in transit, in offices and shops, they look sad too; in contrast to many other areas of this country. New York in its own way has become insular and fearful, as racist, antisemtic and bigoted as anywhre in America, and is just a hard hard cold place to live in.

Should I have the fortune to retire with enough money to relocate somewhere pleasant, it will certainly be far away from this city, that with all its bright lights and excitement, is just a drudgery and trial of trying to make it and beating the next shark at your throat.

10. Outta here says:

I am from New Jersey and have lived in DC, Maryland, California, New York, Atlantic City, New Orleans, Atlanta, Philadelphia and the rudest place I’ve found is York, PA! I can be walking in the employee parking lot of the hospital where I work and say hello or good morning to the one other person walking towards me in the lot (who must also be an employee), look them right in the face- and they will not respond! Every time, every person! Other people in York have admitted that people are not friendly here

Comments are closed.