Activists Send 400 Tacos To East Haven Mayor After Infamous Quip

Joseph Maturo Jr. In Serious Damage Control Mode Following Jest Gone Awry

EAST HAVEN, Conn. (CBSNewYork/AP) — The office of East Haven’s mayor was blasted with prank phone calls and a delivery of hundreds of tacos Thursday after his now-famous quip that he would address accusations of anti-Latino bias by eating tacos, a remark that left emotions raw in the town’s large Hispanic community.

Mayor Joseph Maturo Jr. has apologized several times but resisted calls for his resignation over remarks he made to a television reporter following Tuesday’s arrests of four town police officers, men described by one FBI official as “bullies with badges.”

1010 WINS’ Al Jones Reports From East Haven

Maturo held regular meetings Thursday as Connecticut’s Latino and Puerto Rican Affairs Commission called on him to resign.

“The Latino community is upset and deeply wounded in what should have been a day of redemption for them,” the commission’s acting executive director, Werner Oyandel, said in a written statement, calling the comment “unprofessional and given in poor taste.”

Watch Maturo’s ‘Taco’ interview below (YouTube)

An immigration rights group, Reform Immigration for America, delivered 400 tacos to his Town Hall office in protest, though Maturo had left shortly beforehand for a meeting. A soup kitchen picked up the tacos, but one was left symbolically for the mayor.

The group had asked the public to text TACO to 69866 all this week and said they would send an actual taco for every text they received.

In a statement released by his office, Maturo said the abundance of tacos highlights the need for healing in the town.

“The events of the past few days have focused our Town, and my administration, on the need to deal sensitively and compassionately with the challenges currently facing our Town,” he said.

His office fielded a steady flow of calls, some with prank comments about tacos and others from supporters who want him to stay in his job.

Maturo has been mayor off and on since 1997 in this predominantly white, blue-collar town on the shore of Long Island Sound where Latino residents comprise about 10 percent of its population of 29,000. East Haven has been under federal scrutiny since the U.S. Justice Department launched a civil rights probe in 2009 that found discrimination and biased policing against Latinos.

A federal indictment accuses the four police officers of assaulting people while they were handcuffed, unlawfully searching Latino businesses, and harassing and intimidating people, including advocates, witnesses and other officers who tried to investigate or report misconduct or abuse.

The taco flap came after a reporter asked Maturo on Tuesday, “What are you doing for the Latino community today?”

Maturo’s response: “I might have tacos when I go home; I’m not quite sure yet.”

Maturo, who is of Italian heritage, then said he might have spaghetti or any other kind of ethnic food, growing increasingly angry as he told Diaz to “go for it, take your best shot” to make the “taco” comment seem to imply something he did not intend.

He has called himself a “jerk” for the comment, which he called an off-the-cuff quip made at the end of a long, stressful day of interviews.

The video of Maturo’s comments has spread across the Internet on social networks and media websites. It led Connecticut’s largest paper, The Hartford Courant, to call for his resignation in an editorial that declared: “The Mayor is an Idiot.” A Facebook page demanding Maturo’s resignation had more than 750 supporters Thursday afternoon.

The town’s Democratic Party is demanding the resignation of Maturo, a Republican, and he has fielded criticism from state and local officials including Gov. Dannel P. Malloy, who said on a conference call Thursday from the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, that Maturo’s remarks were “pretty bone-headed.”

Many residents were still angry Thursday in East Haven, where 38-year-old Jose Tapia, a cook originally from Ecuador, joked, “We’ve got tacos!” as he left a bakery with a bag of bread.

“I took it as a joke, but deep inside, it’s the true version of racist, that comment,” he said.

Pedro Gutierrez, the owner of the Guti’z Bakery, said the comment showed the mayor is out of touch because many Latinos in East Haven are from Ecuador, where tacos are not a part of cuisine, as they are in Mexico. But he said it also shows disrespect for all Hispanics.

“He clearly thinks of us as a third-class people,” he said.

Others were more forgiving, saying they viewed the comment as a misstep, but not something that should end Maturo’s political career.

Others in East Haven said people are being too sensitive.

Paul Esposito, 70, a lifelong resident, made a special trip Thursday to East Haven Town Hall to express his support, telling Maturo’s receptionists, “I don’t want him to resign. People make mistakes all the time.”

Those who know Maturo say that he’s not an idiot or a bigot, but that if the taco comment was meant to be a joke, it was clearly a misstep they think he genuinely regrets.

“It’s baloney. They’re making a mountain out of a molehill,” said Michael Liso, 65, who said he worked as a firefighter with Maturo and has known him for 40 years. “That’s why you put erasers on pencils. — It’s over and done with. Now let’s move forward.”

Maturo, 60, asked East Haven residents in a written apology Wednesday to “have faith in me” and the town. Whether he can make peace soon with Latino residents upset by his taco comment remains to be seen.

Marcia Chacon, a native of Ecuador and co-owner of My Country Store, said the one remark by Maturo destroyed some of the goodwill he had earned in the community by hosting a recent open house with the police department.

“We realized that he is a racist person,” she said. “We realized it is worse than we thought.”

Maturo has said he will no longer publicly discuss the quip. Messages left for several of his political allies at the state and local levels were not immediately returned Wednesday and Thursday.

Share your thoughts in the comments section below…

(TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. Wrapper says:

That’ll learn him to think “outside the bun”!

2. Mike says:

bad mayor – bad cop – bad person — get rid of him

3. Pearl says:

I checked, and the Latino and Puerto Rican Affairs Commission is a state agency. What is a state agency doing calling for the resignation of an elected city official? The State Auditor and Attorney General should be investigating this abuse of state funds and state power.

Granted his answer to the question of “what have you done for Latinos today” hould have been answered, “I’ve been working for every citizen of my community today, regardless of their ethnic heritage.” But a stupid question got a flippant answer, and now every chronic whiner wants to prove his/her skin is the thinnest there is.

Tell me the Dems would be up in arms if his dinner reference had been to kapusta and kielbasa, corned beef and cabbage, penne arrabbiata, or lox and bagels. I doubt it.

4. Troy says:

I had taco’s for dinner last night, but I made them myself… Does that mean I’m racist for eating them and not being Laatino, or racist for making them and not involving a Latino, or that I was just hungry and happened to have some taco shells and hambuger that would turn into taco’s easily?

Everything on Earth can be made to be racist. He made a joke, get over yourselves. Racism won’t disappear until each and everyone who labels themselves something other than ‘human’ stop it. When you label yourself, you put yourself in that box and invite the very reactions you then receive. Then you scream ‘racism’.

Step one: Get out of the box. You are not any of these: African, Latino, Asian, Caucasian, India, Native American, and the list goes on of the boxes we have all created and put ourselves in so we can cry foul.

Step two: Step out into the fresh air and scream at the top of your lungs, “I am human!” Nothing else.

Step three: Treat everyone else like a human.

Tolerance will never succeed unless everyone agrees they are like everyone else. Even if you think that everyone else is not as special as you. Because guess what? They are just as special as you. Just as cool as you, Just as nice as you. Just as mean as you. Just as pretty as you. Just as ugly as you.

Now come here and give me a hug….

5. Jason says:

If I make a joke about my own race, can I get about 100lbs of ribs for my SuperBowl party?

6. john K Massage says:

if they would go back to Mexico where they belong our unemployment rate would go down to close to zero and we could all eat tacos.

7. GJM says:

I thought that the mayor’s comment was very funny – I laugh to myself now when I think about it.

Having said that, this is a line that I would expect from a stand up comic – not from an elected official. He should be embarassed that he made it and apologize llike he did.

After that, it is up to the voters to vote him in or out in the next election.

8. texas58 says:

So, the people who are calling for the mayor to resign, are they also demanding Biden, Holder and the other democrats who regularly make racists comments or commit racists acts, resign also? Racism cuts both ways and I’ve seen plenty of black and brown racists who are feeling quite frisky with Obama as President and Eric (My people) Holder as Attorney General.

9. Frank Lee says:

I don’t think tacos freeze real well, so maybe he could have a party and invite all the Mexican homeless people.

10. Jewfromhell says:

Round up the demorats and send them to whatever latin or central American country of their choice. Take comrade Barry with you!

11. Everyday Guy says:

Aside from tacos, I can’t think of anything latinos have contributed to humanity.

12. Adam Smith says:

It is up to the courts to determine if the charges are true. What is very interesting though is that the article repeatedly reports that the alleged “victims” are Hispanics but when there are crimes – assaults, robberies, etcetera – they never disclose if the perpetrator was hispanic or black or white even though that information is just as pertinent. Curious why?

13. Greg LaLiberte says:

How is it the CBS LOCAL VIDEO is titled “Racist Mayor”. Has CBS already convicted and sentenced the man? I thought journalists were to be objective.

1. markmasoncbs says:

That is not a CBS Local Video Greg. It is embedded from YouTube and was labeled by whoever posted the video on YouTube in the first place.

2. Adam Smith says:

The concept of journalistic objectivity was abandoned in the 1970s when 1960s radicals began to enter into journalism and academia in large numbers. The elite media is basically all Alinsky manipulation – a predetermined viewpoint is imposed on the data and facts contrary to the preconceived conclusions are ignored.

14. Segeny says:

Mayor Maturo – did you forward the tacos to the local kennel? They are most appropriate as dog food anyway.

15. NYGirl says:

Tacos are about the best thing that come from Mexico. I hope he enjoys them and stops apologizing.

16. diana kunselman says:

every immigrant that ever came to this country has had a comment made at one time or another of their country of orgin. It is the left ah’s that always make a big deal about it….JUST TO GAIN POWER…….THEY LOVE THE POLITICS OF IT…IT GOES ON AND ON AND ON….NOW LOOK HERE ALL YOU HISPANICS..WAKE UP..IT IS JUST A COMMENT….I KNOW YOU M,AKE THEM YOURSELVES..I HAVE HISPANIC FRIENDS AND I AM A GRINGO……GET OVER IT AND MOVE ON..GROW UP..THE EUROPEANS THAT CAME HERE DID NOT GET ANYTHING FROM ANYONE…..SO JUST GO ON WITH YOUR LIVES TRY TO IMPROVE THINGS..QUIT WHINING…THINGS WOULD BE 10 TIMES WORSE WHERE YOU CAME FROM!

17. el_loco_jp says:

Screw these, publicity seeking, thin skinned, Democrap operative, biggoted, racist “latinos”.

18. mm says:

These latinos are get more angry over a stupid comment while not realizing that their community is infested with diabetes, out-of-wedlock births, poor education and recent FBI data that concludes 51% of Latino youth nationwide are in gangs. I guess this is latinos putting their priorities straight.

19. stan says:

Again the word racist tossed about with no knowledge of what it means. The mayor may be considerd as “insensitive” by some or a bigot by others but his statement was not racist. A racist statement would be, “any black (negro, african-american, person of color, take your pick) is superior to anyone of spanish (hispanic) origin”.

20. Thomas Callahan says:

Public SERVANTS are required to act a certain way and this ain’t it!!!

21. ManOnPoint says:

My great grandparents came from Spain legally in 1905 via Cuba. They both finished HS and knew seven languages between them. They assimilated by opening a small butcher shop with a room in the back for alterations. As a butcher and a seamstress they served their customers honestly and made a good living, thus acquiring the American Dream through hard work. Today’s immigrants, legal or not, do not have a grasp of what it takes to succeed. EBT, ADFC, Section 8, WIC, and all the federal programs make them weak and not self-sustaining.

1. diana kunselman says:

PERFECTLY SAID!!!!!!!!

22. William Hershey says:

so if he said he was going to eat haggis would that offend the scotts
    heres my main point why do 90 percent have to kiss the butt of 10 percent
    this country is falling fast

23. Maria P says:

Awwww, how nice. They sent the mayor and his staff lunch! So kind.
    Taco, Taco, Taco, taste my tasty taco kisses! LOL!!!!! Get over yourselves!

24. Andy says:

He should stamp the Taco’s “DEPORTED” and send them back

25. Dion says:

Why do we have to kiss anyones ass because of the color of the skin?

26. Meme Meyagi says:

Illegals and illegal immigration supporters will destroy this country. Liberalism is a mental disorder…

27. Rick O'Shea says:

Hundreds of tacos in New Haven, get ready for a huge influx of illegals.

28. George Johnson says:

Dimocrats are such whining little crybabies that demand the resignation of republicans for the least little thing, while totally ignoring almost EVERYthing their own dimocrats leaders say. Such hypocrites.
    Such WHINERS! Would you like some cheese with that whine!!?? Good grief, grow up for a change.
    And the RNC is right behind them, pushing for him to quit. But let one of their own kill somebody or even be a member of the actually KKK (not just an accusation), and they’re standing right beside them telling us what a great person they are.

29. eseBoy says:

So one stupid attempt at humor is enough to crucify this man?

Or has he demonstrated a racist attitude previously?

What is it, people? Get a grip!

30. Dog says:

To bad they didn’t send all that food to a homeless shelter or poor families.

That would have been a lot more respectable and would have gotten the point across better. I suspect the 400 tacos will be tossed in the trash. To bad.

31. Apesimist says:

It is not a “racist” comment if you believe that to be true than you don’t understand the true meaning of the word and most likely like Sandra Bernhardt without giving it a second thought.

WHAT he should have said is:

I am NOT going to do anything special….why should I. If you are an American citizen than you recieve the full benefits of this country like anyone else, IF you are NOT than you do not belong here and I have no reponsibility to you so please go back to your country of orign, these comments stand for any nationallity.

Our unemployement rate DOES NOT NEED YOU, OUR jobs and OUR services are for the Citizens of the United States.

Ths country and its leaders need to grow a pair and simply state the facts/truth as it is and stop mincing words thats how they get themselves in trouble.

32. Ar Amytas says:

Tell the beeners to grow a pair Cry babby PC bedwetters

33. Rowdy Boots says:

OK–OUT WITH THE FACTS:

Hispanics do NOT EAT TACOS

and…in spite of the regularly scheduled comments about Italians, ITALIANS DO NOT EAT PASTA

BLACKS DO NOT EAT FRIED CHICKEN OR WATERMELON

RUSSIANS DO NOT EAT BORSCHT

POLES DO NOT EAT SAUSAGE

GERMANS DO NOT EAT SAURBRATEN

JAPANESE DO NOT EAT RICE

AUSTRALIANS DO NOT EAT VEGEMITE

IRISH DO NOT EAT POTATOES

UH, DID I LEAVE ANYONE OUT–OK–HERE

NO CULTURE IS REALLY ASSOCIATED WITH THE FOOD THAT WAS CREATED BY THAT CULTURE.

GET A G. D’ed LIFE PEOPLE–you are all pathetic

1. DMoney says:

You forgot about gays eating soy

1. Troy says:

Nah, that one is right, gays do eat soy…
        😉

34. Brock says:

So the way I read it, the mayor got in trouble for telling a Dem to stick it instead of caving in to the demand for Payola. Typical democrat tactic.
    What are you going to GIVE ME?

35. Jules Caesar Vallez says:

Jesus… there are a lot of racist people on this comment board. I am an American; although my family is from Cuba, I agree that illegal immigration is complete out of control. I will further stipulate that although this mayor is definitely a moron, he should not lose his job over one stupid comment. That said, just because there are some who want the guy fired does not mean that all Latinos or Hispanics are over-sensitive. Nor, should”Hispanics won’t stop whining until they’re just as pathetic as the blacks” as REALLY states. It’s as American as apple-pie to make a political statement and let it be known. What’s the problem? If these Hispanics or Latinos or whatever the hell are lawful, legal citizens (and I am assuming their are from the story), then they have just as much a right to their voice as you do yours.

1. Rowdy Boots says:

HEY! WATCH THAT RACISM!

SAYING AMERICANS EAT APPLE PIE IS NOT ALLOWED

2. Apesimist says:

Just becasue you have a RIGHT to voice an opinion DOES NOT meat that it is:

Justified
      Correct
      SHould be acted on
      Has meaning
      Etc…etc…..etc…..

I have the right to IGNORE you and say you are incorrect, and getting pushed out of shape over a comment such as this calls in all the above.

Rasism in practice would be …he is on record as saying he will never hire a mexican for the poilice department because they are alll (fill in blank here).
      It is the point where actions are based on a belief…….kinda like QUOTAS for School adimissions…but than to a liberal….SOME raceism is OK isn’t it?

1. Jules Caesar Vallez says:

Apesimist,

Hate to disappoint but I am not a liberal; I am a conservative (and by the way, GO RON PAUL 2012!) Further, you’re premise that racism is not racism when it is not acted upon is BS. As for the quotas, I filled out the box for “white” on my law school application, not “Hispanic/Latino’ so I’m good and God damn sure I’ve earned mine.

1. Apesimist says:

My appologies…..but Ron Paul….? Really.?

I like the guy but not for Pres…I’m sorry he is just not connected to reality on Foreign policy…HOWEVER…..Please get him a seat at the table in the new Conservative administration when they are discussing Taxes and personal Liberty for the future of this country on these topics he captures my attention every time.

Its not a premise…..the liberal establishment has been twisting the dictionary in nots for 40+ years now……up unitl acted upon it is an OPINION..on this one you are not correct and you are falling for their BS and buying into it.

Just as the word “discrimanating” is now automatically a perjorative..when all do it it in thier daily lives on different matters for different reasons all good ones.

1. diana kunselman says:

YOU REALLY ARE SOOOOOOO IGNORANT.

2. Jules Caesar Vallez says:

Listen Apesimist,

First, I am an equal opportunity hater… I hate everyone (and why hate on race, creed, color, or religion when there are SOOO many good reasons to hate people.) Secondly, on the Ron Paul topic, his foreign policy isn’t nearly as whack-a-doodle as everyone seems to think. Remember, he just says we need to stay out of foreign entanglements, as our founding fathers did. He is a REAL constitutionalist; thus, if the CONGRESS wants to declare war… great, we go to war. I think what he is saying is that unless it’s serious enough (and if there is bi-partisan consensus) then the Congress can and should declare war; we should not be engaging in “police actions” and “kinetic military actions” around the world on the Executive’s whim.

Lastly, as for brainwashing, the only ones being brainwashed are those caught in the whole left-right paradigm. I don’t consider myself affiliated to either political parties because it’s more than obvious that BOTH were bought and paid for many, many years ago. From Newt to Obama to Bush to Romney, damn near ALL OF THEM, continue the same policy of increasing the size and scope of government, endless and unwinnable wars, genetic manipulation of our food and planet. I don’t know man… seems to me that “The Powers That Be” want us fighting over race, ‘class”, political affiliation… any and everything save that which really matters… WHO THE HELL IS REALLY PULLING THE STRINGS!? Just my take… I could be wrong… but I’m not.

2. diana kunselman says:

i LOVE HEARING THIS FROM A LATINO…RIGHT ON…AND YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE IT..COMMON SENSE..NOT JUST THE CRAP THEY TRY TO FEED YOU..THIS IS THE AMERICAN WAY…YOU HAVE EARNED IT!!!!!

36. Ronchris says:

Wait – Connecticut has a “Connecticut’s Latino and Puerto Rican Affairs Commission”???

Who’s paying those turds to sit around and complain all day and live high on the hog with their gov’t salaries & perks?

37. j says:

If the Hispanic community can afford that many tacos then why are the majority on welfare?

38. bob says:

does anyone but me find it blood boilingly maddening that we have a bunch of ILLEGALS trying to dictate federal policy?

1. Ar Amytas says:

Your correct, those roaches should have NO rights, NO freebies, and NO amnesty! PERIOD!

2. Apesimist says:

Yep!

39. slim jim says:

Ay, ay, ay, ay! I am dee Frito Bandito. I like Frito’s Corn Chips. I love them, I do. I want Frito’s corn chips. I’ll take them, from you.

Ay, ay, ay, ay, oh, I am the Frito Bandito. Give me Frito Corn chips and I’ll be your friend. The Frito Bandito you must not offend.

40. bob says:

If I was in charge, i would return the favor by deporting them all.

41. slim jim says:

Yo quiero Taco Bell!

1. Apesimist says:

Thank you SIR for an honest laugh first thing in the morning.!!!!

42. jerseyjoey says:

Hey, got an idea, Now you can cancel you local food stamps program and feed you local mexicans those 400 tacos, olay ebaeba.

43. Max17 says:

This is OUTRAGEOUS!!! OUTRAGEOUS, I say!!!

I’ll show that racist Mayor Maturo. I’m gonna have LASAGNA tonight! With extra oregano!!!

44. Teddy Novak says:

I love tacos. Can they express their displeasure by sending them to me?

45. RandyC0609 says:

Obama has basically weaponized illegal immigrants and their families by refusing to do his job and enforce federal mandates. They know that illegals will vote in favor of a raft of left wing issues such as gun control, further amnesty, and bigger government. They basically fall in line with Democratic voting because Democrats will pander to the to garner votes. Heck, why bite the hand that feeds you and won’t prosecute any of your crimes? People need to start using common sense. Many communities have families that have lived there for generations and they are expected to shut up and deal with an influx of thousands of immigrants who have no desire to assimilate into their town’s culture much less learn to speak the language? Sorry, that’s not how the world works whether your Mexican, Guatemalan, Danish, Ethiopian, Korean, etc and the venue doesn’t matter either. New Haven, Bangkok, Bangalore. If a mass of lower class, uneducated immigrants flood a community, there is backlash everywhere. It was difficult for Irish, Polish, and any other European minority for obvious social reasons but our new politically correct society demands that we be accepting of any wild shift in a local population and culture. Heck, I am from Austin,TX and many that live there are getting tired of Portland and Brooklyn hipster mobbing the place and killing the authenticity of the city. It’s just how societies work. Any place would be reluctant to be forced to go through a massive change without being given any choice.

1. RandyC0609 says:

Realtalk though, I’m getting my boy’s maid, Lucia to clean my place and it’s awesome. Ella ta chingon! I eat Tex-Mex nearly constantly. I guess a greater source of my frustration is with the hypocrisy of the current administration. I read an article where kids are going to have to be submitted to all forms of biometric scanning to take the SAT. YET! you don’t have to show ID to vote. I get patted down and X-ray’d in the airports because I might be a threat?!?!, but there are an admitted 11 million illegal immigrants in the country (more like 20 million) that the Fed completely over looks. They even go so far as to tell states they can’t detain them if they do not have proper id… It makes the head spin.

46. Maria says:

Being hispanic myself I busted out laughing, and other than a bunch of screaming democrats nobody in the neighborhood was even listening. Just another political tactic. He should take his taco’s and proudly have a picnic on the front lawn of his office.

1. mm says:

If he was real smart, he should send the tacos to a homeless shelter. Today’s Hispanic immigrants are a sorry excuse for the brave immigrants who came here in the 1800’s-1900’s and rolled up their sleeves and worked hard for a better life with no federal help. Please do not think I’m poitning at you Maria. I have immigrants and my family and they are lazy as sin.

1. Kevin Pearson says:

It isn’t the immigrants, it is the Americans that are lazy. Like Ed Rendell said, the wussification of America. That is the point of the liberals’ agenda to destroy the country and the economy.
        Go to any engineering school and see if you can find any Americans? They are almost all foreign students, because Americans are too lazy to learn the math that is required to be engineers. That is why so many manufacturing jobs are shipped offshore, because it isn’t possible to hire any engineers to work in the factories because they simply do not exist.

2. diana kunselman says:

yOU ARE WHAT THIS COUNTRY NEEDS, MARIA. MORE COMMON SENSE LATINOS. tHEY ARE GREAT PEOPLE!

47. Falco says:

Did any of the local caliente mamacitas offer to provide the Mayor with some taco?

48. gunslinger says:

If you quit feeding your dog table scraps they eventually quit barking and go back outside.

49. Dave says:

I’d turn it around and thank everyone day and night for the delicious free food!

50. Stephen Brummitt says:

If it were me, I would have said:
    I am not going to do any more or less than I am supposed to do for any legal citizen, regardless of their color (notice I did not say race as there is only one human race, because what most people call “race” is just a matter of hue), creed, and/or religion; AND, I highly resent your “racially” motivated question!

1. andy says:

He should stamp the Taco’s “DEPORTED” and send them back

2. Justin Time says:

Exactly my thoughts.

1. Lancer says:

Love it!!!! Best comment on any site this year.

Comments are closed.