Not Guilty Plea In 9/11, MetLife Stadium Stun Gun Case
NEW YORK (WFAN/AP) — A South Carolina man accused of using a stun gun on other fans during a fight at a Jets-Cowboys game last year has pleaded not guilty.
A lawyer for Leroy McKelvey of Moncks Corner, S.C., entered the plea in state court in Hackensack on Monday.
McKelvey is charged with aggravated assault and unlawful possession of a weapon.
The arraignment was held on the 60th birthday of the suspect, who walked with a cane. He did not speak during the court appearance or after.
McKelvey, a Dallas fan, was arrested at MetLife Stadium on Sept. 11.
Leading up to the game, Jets coach Rex Ryan said “it’s probably not recommended that you wear Cowboys stuff” to the East Rutherford stadium.
Power 105.1 deejay Charlamagne Tha God, McKelvey’s son, told the New York Daily News in September that Ryan’s comments may have had something to do with his father’s decision to allegedly pack the weapon.
According to the Daily News, the fracas began because McKelvey and his entourage refused to stand during the national anthem. They also reportedly spoke loudly during “Taps” and “Amazing Grace,” drawing the ire of a Marine.
The peeved veteran in section 324 wouldn’t let McKelvey pass to use the bathroom at halftime, witnesses told the paper. That’s when they said that McKelvey used the stun gun.
Security had been beefed up for the game because it was the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.
Warning: Explicit Language
Your thoughts on the plea? Sound off below…
(TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)