Brooklyn Yeshiva Student Alleged Victim Of Hate Crime In Rockland

MONSEY, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — Four people are facing hate crime charges after allegedly targeting a man for a violent robbery in Rockland County because he was Jewish.

“You want something because of me or you want money, that’s an issue, but if you want my money because you want to attack me because I’m Jewish, that’s something else. I think that’s a little, it’s called racism,” the victim, a Yeshiva student from Brooklyn, told CBS 2’s Lou Young.

Police said the victim was hit in the head in Monsey on Monday night during an attempted robbery.

“He was wearing the pais, the long coat and the beard,” said Yehoshua Lapides, the victim’s friend.

“We believe that this particular individual was targeted for a reason and because of his religious background,” said Capt. Brad Weidell of the Ramapo Police Department.

Police said 18-year-old Stanley Joseph of Suffern, 19-year-old Qwesi Williams and 20-year-old Jennifer St. Ammand discussed finding a Jewish victim before setting out Monday night.

A fourth suspect, Marco Landino, was arrested for allegedly providing the weapon used to hit the victim in the head.

“One of the guys tried to take a swing against me, hit me over here, my head, so I ran and I screamed ‘help!’ and they turned around and ran away,” the victim said.

“They didn’t say a word to him. They didn’t have time. He was screaming and they got really scared and ran off,” said Chaim Smith, a friend of the victim.

Police said it was calls to 9-1-1 that gave them the jump on the alleged robbers. One suspect was picked up on the street, while two were arrested trying to drive away. The fourth man was picked up Tuesday.

All three of the arrested men were being held on $100,000 bail, the woman on $75,000. The four are due back at Ramapo County Court on Friday.

Please leave a comment below…

Comments

1. pk says:

Get out of here Henry you Nazi.

2. CCL says:

Sadly I know 2 of these kids they were nice kids while they were in school over the past 2 years never a problem. There parents were involved with them pushed them through to finish school. Its sad what happened stupid move boys. You embarass yourself you embarass where you came from and you have let down allot of people who had faith in your skills

3. DC says:

“Joseph’s father insisted his son isn’t anti-Semitic and blamed his son’s involvement on the woman, who police said acted as a getaway driver.

“The problem is that girl. Maybe they needed money to buy alcohol or marijuana,” said Jean Stanley, Joseph’s father.”

Maybe the problem is the crappy job you did raising your kid…

4. Bullett says:

“We believe that this particular individual was targeted for a reason said Capt. Weidell”, yeh because he didn’t have a basket ball.

5. ozzie mitchell says:

Pay attenttion people, the name Marco Landino who provided the weapon, is a white name and certainly not a black name so what the heck is the first commenter Henry talking about. ‘blacks being charged with a crime’.Do not try to twist this.

6. uri silverman says:

freakin mooncrickets

7. Henry says:

Blacks being charged with a hate crime? Am I reading this right?

If so, goes to show who really gets priority. Perhaps all whites should turn to donning pais (whatever that is), long coats and beards.

Comments are closed.