Marine From N.J. Killed In Afghanistan

NORTH ARLINGTON, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — A New Jersey family is in mourning after getting workd that one of their Marine sons was killed in Afghanistan.

It happened in the most dangerous part of Afghanistan, the Helmand Province, where hundreds of Americans have lost their lives.

Family members said 20-year-old Lance Cpl. Osbrany Montes De Oca had just walked off base when a sniper bullet hit him in the back, killing him.

“He was a great guy. He was a hero,” said Frankin, his 15-year-old brother.

The Montes De Oca family lives in North Arlington, within sight of the World Trade Center.

“He was such a nice kid growing up, friendly. And fighting for our country,” said neighbor Linda Tromans.

Tromans knew the brothers their entire lives. She told CBS 2’s Don Dahler that she knew something was wrong last Friday.

“When I seen the Marine Corps knock on the door ’cause they don’t come to say hello, I knew something happened,” she said.

“He was the best man I knew,” Frankin said.

Osbrany and his identical twin, Osmany, enlisted in the Marines shortly after graduating from North Arlington High School a little more than a year ago.

Osbrany played lacrosse and football there. Their older brother enlisted a short time after.

Unlike in the movie “Saving Private Ryan,” brothers and sisters who are enlisted do not automatically get discharged if they lose a sibling in combat.

However, a family friend told Dahler that the Corps gave the two brothers still in active duty the option to not go back to war. They declined, saying, more than ever, they want to get back in the fight.

Montes de Oca is the 42nd service member from New Jersey to be killed in Afghanistan.

A wake will be held Friday afternoon.

Please leave a comment below…

Comments

1. ALEX says:

I LIKE TO THANK CBS NEW TO BE THE ONLY LOCAL NEWS TO REPORT ON THIS SAD NEWS, IN THE SHADOW OF A CELEBRATY DEATH. TO OUR FALLEN BROTHE WE ARE AT PEACE THAT YOU ARE HOME ALTHOUGH ON SAD TERMS. BUT AT LEAST WE KNOW THAT ANOTHER MARINE IS GUARDING HEAVENS GATE’S. TO US YOU ARE A REAL HERO MAKING THE ULTMAIE SACRAFICE AND TO KNOW WE SLEEP A LITTLE MORE TONIGHT WITH THE FREEDOM YOU DEFENDED, REST IN PEACE, FOR GOD AND COUNTRY. SIMPRE FIEL.

2. Sheryll Hansen says:

It took a couple of days for my husband and I to comment on this. You see Our Son, Staff Sgt. Daniel L Hansen, USMC was KIA in Afghanistan on Feb. 14, 2009 at age 24. His Identical Mirror Twin Brother is also A Marine both were in Iraq at the same time. This year on the third anniversary of Daniel’s death his twin is in Afghanistan. He is Our Only surviving Son. Yes we do worry. But, then again! He is one of the Few, The Proud! He is a United States Marine! Our hearts is with this family. We do truly understand. I do believe more than most, especially with the twins connection. Semper Fi!!

3. Laurel says:

Thank you for your ultimate sacrifice! May God bless your family and friends during these difficult days! RIP HERO YOUR MISSION IS OVER!!!

4. Bullett says:

Last evening the wife & I passed by the home of Lcpl. Osbrany. The flags of the USA & US Marine flag were on display in front of the home with numerous candles light in memory of this brave young man. Sad sight to see as I pointed it out to the wife. I said a silent pray for Lcpl. Osbrany that he may rest in peace, knowing that he gave his all for us and our freedom. Semper Fi. (Navy Vet 66)

5. Kristina says:

Went to school with him, Osbrany and Osmany were inseperable, you’d think they were attached at the hip or something. I remember being their track manager. We’d call them both “Os” since we couldn’t tell them apart. Osbrany, rest in peace. Thank you for your service. My condolences to the family.

6. Ry says:

Went to school with him when we were younger. Will deeply be missed. You were an insperation to this town. And you will never be forgotten. RIP man your spirit will never die. Semper Fi Osbrany may the lord take good care of you. Semper Fi

7. vpmmx2 says:

One of my twins is over there fighting and is with this battalion. The story about these twins struck close to home for me. They sound just like mine – you wouldn’t see one where you didn’t see the other. My heart is breaking for this family especially the other twin and the mom. Both of my twins are Marines too. May the memories of this fine hero help ease the pain for this family. Thank you for your sacrifice. You made a difference with your life and that is something some adults can’t say. Praying daily.

8. rocker90 says:

Gov Christie better fly the flags half staff for this man.

The thing is hes ordered them at half staff on Sat

9. Mary Faulkner says:

He was a precious boy; sensitive and kind hearted. At nine years old, when he was my student, he was already a ‘little man.’ I can just see his beautiful little face – dark, thoughtful eyes and shy, sweet smile – looking up at me. My heart is broken. He will be remembered by all who knew him.

My love and prayers go out to Osmany, Mr. & Mrs. Montesdeoca, Franklin, and Sandro.

10. lilly Brown says:

Here is a legitimate reason for flags to be half-staff, not Whiteny Houston

1. Lisa says:

Completely agree! Semper Fi Marine!

11. Bullett says:

He paid the ultimate price upon the “Alter of Freedom”. RIP Marine, Sepmer Fi.

1. Bullett says:

“Semper Fi.

12. Tom Marshall says:

Thank you Lance Corporal Montes De Oca for the ultimate sacrifice to preserve our freedom and free the people of Afghanistan. I worked for 12 years on the 72nd floor of 2 World Trade Center and remember looking out my window, across the meadowlands, towards North Arlington. No doubt, you might have looked back. Who would have thought that such evil in the world would change our lives. You are a truest hero and Semper Fidelis!

13. Marine Vet says:

Thank you for your service brother. Semper Fi!!!

14. Lieut. Dan's Aunt says:

thank you for your service and sacrifice young man. i grieve your family’s loss. we have lost too man of our best and brightest way too soon. it is for you the flags in new jersey should be flown at half mast in the days to come, not an entertainer. the saddest notes in music will be played after your funeral with the sounding of taps. i stand in witness of your bravery. as the aunt of any army ranger who served 2 iraq tours, my heart goes out to your loved ones.

Comments are closed.