N.J. Assembly Passes Gay Marriage Bill; Heads To Gov. Christie For Expected Veto

If Shot Down, Legislature Would Need Two-Thirds Of Each House To Override

TRENTON, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — The Garden State has voted to legalize same-sex marriage, setting up a confrontation with Gov. Chris Christie who’s vowing to veto it.

Cheers erupted as the vote was announced, 42-33 in favor. The state Assembly passed a bill legalizing same-sex marriage just days after the Senate did the very same thing, reports CBS 2’s Marcia Kramer.

It was a passionate debate, kicked off by Assemblyman Reed Gusciora, one of two openly gay members of the lower house.

“This is all about family, about establishing a home in New Jersey,” Gusciora said.

Passions were strong on both sides. At one point Assemblywoman Nancy Munoz of Union County drew huge cheers from opponents of same-sex marriage when she asked that the bill be withdrawn.

Several shared the position of Gov. Christie that the issue should be decided by the people not by lawmakers.

“I think it’s something that when you redefine marriage it’s something that the voters want to vote on and it makes sense to let them vote on,” Assemblyman John Bramnick said.

Christie has repeatedly vowed to veto the bill, but the chamber isn’t required to send the bill to the governor’s desk until the end of the day Friday. If Christie does shoot it down, the Democratic-controlled Legislature will have two years to try to override the governor, something they have yet to be successful at doing.

“I will veto it quickly and then they get down to the business of deciding do they want to let the people decide? Do they care more about the issue or about the political theater,” Christie said recently.

That means that lawmakers will have to muster two-thirds vote in each house to override. Right now, lawmakers are far from that support.

Six states and Washington, D.C. recognize gay marriage. Washington State’s new gay marriage law is set to take effect in June.

Please offer your thoughts in the comments section below. …

Comments

1. Rocky says:

The wife and kids are driving me crazy. Here’s the plan if this bill passes:
    Get a divorce, sex change (health insurance pays, by default you pay).
    Get married again to that pretty girl next door (same sex) and have all
    the benifits plus protection that this life style has to offer.

2. Christie's Farts Burned A Hole In The Ozone Layer says:

THE TABLOID PUBLICATION ALSO SAID NOT ONLY IS CHRISTIE A HOG MASQUERADING AS A HUMAN HE IS ALSO A CLOSET HOMOSEXUAL HOG THAT DIGS MALES.

3. Bullett says:

I’m not a supporter to Gay marriage, but I will say be prepared for big increases in insurance health care, and premiums. They (insurance companies) will be the only winners here.

4. jerseyjoey says:

As we already know, this issue shoild not have even made it to the table, end of story.

1. Michael H. says:

you’re right. they’re human beings just like you and me and should be afforded the same exact rights you and I have. they should be able to marry the people they love and want to spend their lives with.

5. The Realist says:

I’ve heard lots of religious reasons for not allowing gay marriage, but I’m still waiting for somebody, anybody, to offer a GOVERNMENTAL reason.

Any takers?

1. Michael H. says:

“I cannot deny a person, a human being, a taxpayer, a worker, the people of my district and across this state, the State of New York, and those people who make this the great state that it is the same rights that I have with my wife,”

-NY State Senator Mark Grisanti (R)

There is no governmental reason.

6. Christie Is Fat and Gay says:

DIDN’T CHRISTIE PLAY THE PIG IN CHARLOTTE’S WEB?

1. hacksit says:

no your mother did

7. victor ellery says:

Gay marriages are against all laws of nature, these people have a mental handicap, they should stay in the closet and don`t push their proversion

1. Carl J says:

New Rule for Victor Ellery: When you learn how to spell and form a coherent sentence, then you can comment on civil matters.

1. hacksit says:

oh STFU hoome=====oooo

8. Christie: I AM A BLOB OF HOG SLOP! says:

HAM HOCK, BARBEQUE RIBS, PIG KNUCKLES, AN ENTIRE COW, DEEP FRIED PORK RINDS. A TABLOID PUBLICATION REVEALED THAT CHRISTIE IS ACTUALLY A HOG, EATS PIG SLOP AND IS NOT HUMAN.

1. hacksit says:

aww another socially aware equal rights lib harping on fat people…but you dont want anyone making fun of you when you dress up in womens clothes with your beard and size 14 feet! claiming your “transgender” lol….

9. mymarriageruinsyours says:

Let me be clear: The fate of New Jersey… and the earth… hang in the balance here. As a matter of fact, at this very moment, innumerable married gays around the world are committing acts of what I have taken to calling “homoterrorism”. That’s right.

Homeland Security agents across this great nation should be on the lookout for same-sex love acts calculated to destroy Traditional Marriage.

For example, if a large number of lesbians were to hug one another, it could cause the collapse of the Greek economy. (See. I told you.). A sufficient volume of men kissing other men could end with Michelle Bachman losing the GOP nomination.

In terms of US national security, we clearly have a “fuchsia-level” alert situation (which is super-high). To educate yourself more comprehensively on this topic, please visit http://www.mymarriageruinsyours.com

1. hacksit says:

just stop following me into the mens bathroom winking….it sickens me

1. mymarriageruinsyours says:

Ummm… ok. Promise.

10. paulnadra says:

Right on Bill.
    The riights of the minority shiould not be held hostage to the tyranny of the Majority.

11. Bill King says:

You cannot put a question of Marriage Equality to a popular vote. If back in 1960 in Mississippi you were to put “Should Negroes have the same right to vote as you have” How do you think that vote would have turned out? My proposal would be to do a compromise if Governor Christie signs Senate No 1 we give him his 10% tax cut he is requesting . If he does not sign it The tax cut should not even be brought to the floor. We cannot allow the Bigots & Homophobics to win in NJ

Comments are closed.