Yankees Sign Reliever David Aardsma

NEW YORK (WFAN) – The New York Yankees have signed former Seattle Mariners right-handed reliever David Aardsma.

Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports that it’s a major-league deal worth $500,000. Aardsma is currently working his way back from Tommy John surgery last July and likely won’t be ready to contribute until mid-season. The 30-year-old posted a 2.90 ERA and saved 69 games for the Mariners from 2009-10, so he could be a savvy addition.

Feinsand reports that Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said the Aardsma move has more to do with 2013 as the Yankees hold a club option on the reliever.

Where does Aardsma fit in the Yankees plans? Leave a comment below.

Comments

1. Neil Dworkin says:

It’s a win-win move. Mr. Cashman is a thinking man’s GM.

2. david thompson says:

I applaud this move. If Aardsma is healthy he can get big outs down the stretch and could also pave the way for the Yankees to trade either Soriano or Joba

3. Jerry Mullins says:

Its what I love about the yankees. They always seem to be ahead of the competition. A minimal amount of cash with a possible great return. They do not rest.

4. andyg says:

Short money that can help the Yanks down the road. I really, really like the moves the Yanks have made the past two years. This is a gamble but not a big one and it could reap major rewards later this year and potentially next year. Mariano is hinting this is his last year (I thnk he could be effective another 3 years) so the Yanks need to plan for the inevitable. I am just not sure if I can imagine a Yankee team without #42 running from the bullpen to close another game.

5. Coby Scher says:

Loved him when he played in college at Rice. I believe that he can really contribute when he heals from surgery.

6. LouBoogie139 says:

He fits nicely in a bullpen that will be Mariono-less come 2013. Yes, I know that Rafael Soriano is there(albeit he has opt-out clause), and David Robertson is waiting in the wings. Joba Chamberlain hopefully returns to form & this bullpen will be unstoppable! So low risk-high reward is what I call this…..way to go Ca$h-man!

7. LemdaGen says:

A DEEP bullpen insures a season long run at the AL Eastern Division title and the Yanks being competitive against some drastically improved AL Western teams.

Comments are closed.