After Over 100 Years, Hell’s Kitchen Italian Grocery Closing For Good

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Before the tenement buildings started giving way to sleek towers in Hell’s Kitchen, the  Manganaro Grosseria was a neighborhood institution.

WCBS 880’s Peter Haskell On The Story

“Manganaro’s has been here since the 1890s,” said Marissa Dell’Orto, whose family has run the place.

Today is the last day of business at 488 9th Avenue.

Dell’Orto says shopping habits have changed along with the residents.

“They’re happy if they’re in more of a corporate establishment as opposed to a smaller mom and pop type shop,” she said.

The closing of her family business is hard to take.

“It’s the embodiment of our family. So we’re all very, very sad,” she said, having worked there her whole life.

Are you sad to see Manganaro’s go? Share your memories and thoughts in our comments section below.

Comments

1. Mike Dwyer says:

End of an era, enjoyed the food there many times..they will be missed.

2. CSI says:

Well if people shopped more in those mom and pops then they wouldnt have to close down. So the more people shop at whole food and trader joes the more mom and pops close. so this has nothing to do with walmarts and big chain stores coming into neighborhoods. It’s the people who shop at these chains. So dont blame the stores blame the people.

1. Finding bigfoot says:

Stupid comment Sherlock!!!

3. Allan says:

Italians and their traditions are disappearing. So sad, everyone likes Italian food and they’re closing up and being replaced by trash !!

4. Carole Trster-Wilk says:

Makes me furious…. I also blame WALMART ! Yes, I do !! People think they should go shop in those hideous places and then buy their children hideous food there. Maybe we can find a way to have them re open????

5. Gayle says:

I don’t agree that people want corporate. More and mo re people want fresh and local… they want to know from where their food comes. And, there is also a return to mom and pop stores because of customer service and specialty items. I suspect there are other issues.

6. DIANN says:

SHE IS RIGHT WHEN SHE SAID HOW NEIGHBORHOODS & PEOPLE CHANGE. I REMEMBER {BEING} AFRICAN AMERICAN THERE WERE TWO LOVES OF MY LIFE. “GOOD SOUL FOOD & GOOD ITALIAN” FOODS. WHEN I SAY GOOD FOOD I MEAN FOOD THAT WOULD TASTE THE SAME IN GEORGIA (OR) ITALIY. I CAN’T HARDLY FIND ANY REAL GOOD ITALIAN COLD CUTS ANY MORE & PEOPLE TODAY CAN’T TELL WHEN THEY ARE EATING A REAL SLICE OF PIZZA -vs- SOME OF THE CRAP THEY ARE CALLING PIZZA NOW, YOU HAVE TO HAVE A TRUE LOVE FOR GOOD FOOD TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE ! THIS PLACE WILL BE TRULY MISSED ! I HAVE NOT BEEN THERE IN APPROX. 24 YEARS BUT I HAVE THE MEMORIES !

1. Amtracmarine says: