Mom Who Escaped Multi-Fatal South Plainfield, N.J. Blaze Speaks Of Tragic Loss

Natalie Jefferson: 'I Just Went Crazy. I Didn't Feel Anything. I Just Went Crazy'

SOUTH PLAINFIELD, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — A heartbroken mother spoke out on Wednesday, one week after four of her children and her mother died in a fire.

She and three others barely got out alive.

Natalie Jefferson is still trying to grapple with the loss of most of her family.

“Feels like I’m in another world, without my mother and four children. Real difficult, like a feeling I can’t explain,” the 33-year-old told CBS 2’s John Slattery.

It was early last Thursday when she awoke to find her side of a two-family home in smoke and flames.

fire victims Mom Who Escaped Multi Fatal South Plainfield, N.J. Blaze Speaks Of Tragic Loss

2-year-old Elijah, 3-year-old Christopher, 12-year-old Alize and 7-year-old Tyler were killed in the fire. (credit: handout)

“The flames, so fast, three to four seconds, boom, whole lot of smoke. Couldn’t see upstairs, couldn’t breathe. Heat burning my face,” Jefferson said.

Her mother, 62-year-old Ann Jefferson, and four of her children, Elijah, Christopher, Alize and Tyler, were trapped upstairs. Natalie Jefferson made it out alive with Jaquan, Jordan and 2-year-old Angel. They watched as five perished in heat that hit 2,000 degrees, according to fire officials.

“I just went crazy. I didn’t feel anything. I just went crazy. My emotions left my whole body. Felt crazy,” Natalie Jefferson said.

Some bodies were burned so badly, dental records were required for identification. The fire started in the kitchen.

“I think it was faulty wiring in my house. The stove, something in kitchen, so, probably faulty wiring,” Natalie said.

She’s still waiting for the investigation to conclude, for the release of the bodies and the funeral that will probably take place next week.

Jordan Jefferson is the only one still hospitalized, for burns, but the 8-year-old is expected to be released in a couple of weeks.

Please offer your thoughts in the comments section below …

Comments

1. Mommyof3 says:

Are you serious…People are seriously evil.. This mother lost her mother and her children have some sympathy.. If you have nothing nice to see go back to your perfect cookie cutter homes and make believe you have no problems of your own.. I personally knew one of the children a beautiful little boy that is no longer with us and my daughter his classmate is still crying for him and can’t understand why he is gone.. No matter what you all think this could happen to all of us in a blink of an eye…smoke detectors or not.

2. Mommyof3 says:

3. Shaquila says:

Natalie I am here for u & we gon get thru this girl. Only GOD has a plan for all of us..No matter what any of u have to say. U won’t break my friend. & yes I know her personally. She loved all of her kids & Ms. Ann. Have some respect. But then again U will die one day too & who will speak of u.

4. Siox says:

This is absolutely terrible, sad, my heart goes out to this precious family. I hope you find comfort during this difficult time, please don’t give up, keep going, stay positive, move forward, remember the great memories with your family. Stay strong!!

5. Deborah Jeffries says:

It wouldn’t matter what started the fire even it if it was arson, if the mother disconnected the smoke detectors, she would be responsible for the deaths. Smoke detectors would have given the victims a chance to escape. Lack of smoke detectors was a factor in the Badger fire, though the building department badly botched that case in Stamford.

6. Deborah Jeffries says:

Excuse me why bring up legal consequences? BECAUSE FIVE PEOPLE DIED! If SHE disconnected the smoke detectors, SHE should be charged with five counts of manslaughter. Does anyone value human life anymore?

7. AL K HOLIC says:

33YO, 7 KIDS,SECTION 8 HOUSING,WELFARE RECIEVER,TATOOED HAND=FEDERAL MANDATED STERILIZATION

1. Siox says:

You are terrible. Big deal, a tattoo on her hand, who the hell are you to judge? There’s nothing worse than losing a child, in her case, four children and her Mother. This is heartbreaking for anyone.

2. Shaquila says:

First of all she is my close friend u all don’t know her. How many kids u have & tattoos are u serious? Natalie didn’t even have Section 8. U can’t have a heart & how would u feel if it was u.

8. Bernard Manning says:

Maybe I’m guilty of Euro-centricity, or something equally odious, but I can’t imagine losing a parent and FOUR CHILDREN and then consenting to a television interview a week later. Did she fight back her sobs to call a lawyer about the “faulty wiring” already? What about the dad- no mention of him/them?

1. Bernard Manning says:

Forget the dad comment–I figured it out.

9. puff says:

sorry for your loss..i wish you strenght for the coming days…i recently lost my mom and can understand what that would be, however i feel so bad that it was almost your entire family and you feel helpless……..with regards to a comment above, deborah jeffries to bring up legal conseuences in light of the fatalies, at this time, where is your empathy for this lady? insensitive comment

10. Kate says:

Ms. Jefferson, if you read this, I am so very sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine your pain and wish you all the strength to keep going, for yourself and your surviving children.

11. Deborah Jeffries says:

The only question I would have is about the news reports that there were smoke detectors but they were disabled or not operational. The lack of smoke detectors caused the Badger tragedy in my City of Stamford. An investigation will find out why or who disabled the detectors and I’m afraid there could be legal consequences in light of the fatalities involved.

12. Bullett says:

Needs a “Stairway to Heaven”

Comments are closed.