Report: Jets ‘A Strong Contender’ To Sign Dolphins QB Chad Henne

NEW YORK (WFAN) — Move over, Peyton Manning?

Miami Dolphins quarterback Chad Henne may be the solution instead to New York’s search for a player to push — and possibly pass — Mark Sanchez.

According to FoxSports.com, the Jets are “considered a strong contender” to sign Henne, who reportedly won’t receive a contract offer to stay in Miami before free agency begins on March 13.

“Well, he’s a player under contract to another team,” Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum told WFAN’s Boomer Esiason and Craig Carton Thursday. “What I will say, though, is our position as a whole at quarterback, I think, has a reasonable chance to look different by opening day.”

LISTEN: Tannenbaum with Boomer & Carton

Sanchez took a step backward in his third year with the Jets. He could use the competition to keep him sharp — and prevent another 8-8 disappointment.

“(Backups) Kevin O’Connell and Mark Brunell are two guys we’re still looking at,” said Tannenbaum. “By the time free agency starts here in another week and a half, we’ll be ready to go.”

Over four seasons with the Dolphins, Henne passed for 7,114 yards, 31 touchdowns and 37 interceptions.

The 2008 second-round pick started only four games for Miami in 2011. A separated shoulder suffered in Week 4 sidelined him for the final 12 games of the season.

Jets fans, do you think Henne is the solution? Be heard in the comments below…

Comments

1. donnab40 says:

I think we should seriously give Chad Henne a shot at it. I know before I was hesitant about Chad Henne being brought to the Jets because of his injury last year but the more that I read about his recovery etc. I think he would be a good choice to replace Mark Sanchez. Sanchez does have to go. If it’s a choice between Chad & Peyton I would take Chad, he’s injury & recovery is more positive than Peyton. I don’t think there’s a chance of us getting Peyton to begin with-I don’t think he would want to come in to NY & be a shadow of Eli. It would be great to have both Mannings in MetLife Stadium but again I don’t thnk it’s going to happen. Chad on the other hand has a great arm & he’s shown that he’s a good QB just look at the numbers.
    Then we can look for other positions that we need to fill.

2. Edward Woods says:

So much for a Contender this season. Let me see, Peyton Manning or Chad Henne? What should we do??? Why is it, that the fans always seem to know what is best. If this goes through, Rex has this year only. The GM will stay, even though he would have caused the whole mess.

3. Joe Holland Jr says:

First of all the Jets need to get a right tackle in free agency. A Veteran someone who is better than Wayne Hunter or Ducacas. Then try to get Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne together. Dont go after Braylon Edwards or back to Plaxico thats just wrong. Peytons getting healthy and if you pair Wayne and Santonio Holmes and Kerley and Dustin Keller. And then add a runningback out of the draft someone like Lamichael James or even Chris Rainey from Florida the Jets would be a real force in the AFC East. Come on MT AND Rex, Woody

4. FELIX says:

I THINK CHAD, HENNE HAS SKILLS. THE PROBLEMS HE HAS, AT MIAMI, IS THAT THE TEAMS AROUND HIM, HAVE NEVER BEEN THAT GOOD. GIVE HIM THE TOOLS AND THIS GAY CAN GIVE YOU 10 OR MORE WINS A SEASON. SANCHEZ ON THE OTHER HAND HAS NEVER REALLY HAD A GOOD YEAR WITH THE JETS IT’S BEEN MAINLY GOOD COACHING AND GAME MANAGEMENT, AND AN ABOVE AVERAGE DEFENSE WHO HAVE SAVE IS BACON HE IS ALL finesse
    AND NO SUBSTANCE. PLEASE GIVE THIS GAY A CHANCE…

1. donnab40 says:

Gay?????

5. Waynejet says:

Mark Sanchez has shown he is a winner.Lets see what he can do in an improved system with a not so predictable Sparano. If you want to push Sanchez get a QB with a brain not a loser QB like Henne. I dont think Tannenbaum is that stupid but you never know.

6. JIm says:

This is almost getting too stupid. We get there ex head coach, now there ex- quarterback. Come on, where does it end ? When the two teams who cant win become one team !

7. Ron G says:

Why does everybody keep saying that we need a coach??? Since the day Rex came the Jets became a better team! When was the last time you saw the Jets go back to back years to the conference championship? When was the last time you saw the Jets rank in the top 5 in overall defense 3 yrs in a row? After 1 bad yr, which really wasn’t a bad yr for the fact they went 8-8, everyone is ready to get rid of the Rex factor. I can understand after several bad seasons to bring up that subject, but after 1 mediocre season…..c’mon really!?! Get real people it’s not the coach we need to focus on here. Pay attention to what’s really going on and focus on that. Believe in the team to get better. Believe in the coach. As fans they need us right now. LET’S GO JETS!!!!

8. JTorr says:

Chad who? Are you kidding me, the Jets will be no better off than the Dolphins were. He couldn’t handle Coach Sparano’s offense in Miami what going to make a difference in Jersey! Henne does not have the quick mentality of an NFL quarterback. He needs a scope on the ball to hit his receivers, thats if he throws it, he has a tendancy to eat the ball and get thrown, for a loss. I’ve seen high school QB’s that are better than him. No playoff’s again this year fan’s.

9. Jerome says:

McElroy told the truth. McElroy only lost one game throughout high school and college. McElroy looked sharp in preseason last year. McElroy is a winner….give the kid a shot at the job and quit blasting him for saying there was an elephant in the room, That elephant being Cornholio Holmes, the world’s biggest a-hole

10. Guy says:

Henne has physical skills Sanchez lacks and will never develop, i.e. a LONG BALL….I remember we brought in a journeyman QB once as a backup who ALSO had a long ball and questionionable mental skills, and he worked out pretty well…..hmm….Vinny something:-)

11. bonzodog says:

what…..we need a new head coach..not someone who has his head up his as..

12. jj says:

jeez u know your team is bad when they think the savior is a guy who is no bette than the qb they have,

1. matt says:

you idiot, Henne isn’t here to be the ‘savior’. He’s the backup. 99% of the time a NFL couldn’t survive losing the #1 qb. You think the Giants win the super bowl if David Carr had to step in week 10? NO WAY.

Henne is actually a good choice from the standpoint that he knows Sparano’s offense well, and could be capable if Sanchez was to go down.

The only issue is whether you think it would offend Sanchez, which, to be honest, he needs to grow up if that’s the point.

Also Henne would have to know that he’s not coming to camp to win the job.

1. Vader says:

Smart Post Matt. I only disagree with you when you say Henne would have to know he is not coming to camp to win the job. I say if he can beat out Mark, which I do not think he can, give him the chance. We want the best guy out there. You are spot on that he would be a terrific back up.

2. FELIX says:

Chad Henne is still young, and again if given another chance with all the tools. I bet he will surpass Mark Sanchez, we jets fans have seen Chad Henne for a good number of years and I’ll tell you, I always got the feeling that he was a true competitor.

13. Martin M says:

Instead of looking at O’Connell and Brunell, I think Greg McElroy might be the guy to surpass both Sanchez and Henne.

1. Jet fan 44 says:

I agree McElroy showed some promise with his abilities. But I also think he showed he is not a team player when he opened his mouth at the end of the season. If last year taught us anything its you win as a “Team” and we where not a team last year.

1. FELIX says:

He spoke the truth, and if that makes you a poor teammate. I wish there were more players like him that aren’t afraid to speak out.

1. E. Woods says:

I agree. McElroy has the most talent. Go for Peyton, if you can’t get him, let McElroy compete with Sanchez. If mouthing off was a problem in the NFL, there would be no players.

2. Waynejet says:

You are 100% right McElroy looked real good when he played and he spoke the truth sorry if he hurt some thin skinned people’s feelings.

3. Mazz says:

What the Jets need is Peyton and wayne trade Sanchez for draft picks, draft Hill the GT wide receiver which he is going to be a stud in the NFL.

1. FELIX says:

Mezz. Sorry but really, Peyton is one shot from permanent disability, do we really need to be the team who placed Payton Manning in a dangerous situation. Heck no pass, pick some one young and strong clean slate.

Comments are closed.