NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – The Port Authority is trying to respond to a multi-million dollar problem: Drivers who cruise through the tolls without paying.
WCBS 880’s Paul Murnane On The Story
To combat it, the agency is cracking down by suing 20 toll evaders.
Some of them include:
- Fusella Group, LLC, which owes $425,780
- Madison 2001 Inc., which owes $226,955
- Intek Auto Leasing Inc., which owes $161,703
Three individual drivers are also among those being sued:
- Jean Davis from Englewood, New Jersey, who owes $123,506
- Hatim Said from North Bergen, who owes $109,085
- Carol Green from Teaneckm who owes $86,139
To see a complete list of the Port Authorities “Wall of Shame” top violators, click here. (.pdf)
The Port Authority is also going after drivers who alter their license plates. The Port Authority has previously arrested drivers who have installed devices to conceal their plates. One driver installed a toggle switch on his dash board which made the plate flip up, so cameras couldn’t catch him dodging the tolls.
Port Authority Inspector Norma Hardy warned drivers about trying to circumvent the system back in November.
“We will prosecute you, we will catch you. It’s not worth it to save $65 to be locked uptown in jail and have to pay penalties and fines,” Hardy said.
Do you agree with the Port Authority’s move? Sound off in our comments section.