CBS2-Header-Logo WFAN 1010WINS WCBS tiny WLNYLogo

News

Superintendent Apologizes To Parents In Wake Of Alleged Gregory Elementary Bathroom Incident

View Comments
Gregory Elementary School (credit CBS 2)

Gregory Elementary School (credit CBS 2)

TRI-STATE NEWS HEADLINES

From our newsroom to your inbox weekday mornings at 9AM.
Sign Up

LONG BRANCH, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — At a meeting on Tuesday night at Gregory Elementary School, Superintendent Michael Salvatore apologized to parents for last week’s incident in which two maintenance workers allegedly tied up four students in a school bathroom.

“This isn’t something we know about, this isn’t something we deal with everyday,” he said. “If there is a criminal act found, I will always make the recommendation to terminate.”

Salvatore’s insistence that justice would be meted out did not seem to pacify all of the parents in attendance. Most parents believed that once an adult touches a child it becomes a criminal act.

“It’s my understanding you put your hands on a child, you go to jail.You tell your story from a jail cell, or you make bail,” said one parent.

Adding to the uproar was the letter that was sent to parents several days later, to inform them of the incident.

One parent stood up during the meeting and chastised Salvatore for his response to the incident.

“I don’t care if it’s the weekend or not, you should have let us know. You should have let us know,” the parent said.

Long Branch parent Ronald Coleman told CBS 2’s Derricke Dennis that extra security measures were in order for the school.

“I do still feel safe at this school. I just think that they should use the camera system in the hallways a little more often,” Coleman said.

Parent Andrea Duncan echoed Coleman’s sentiments, telling CBS 2 that while she believes her children are safe in school, there remains room for improvement.

“I think they’ve been doing an excellent job in communicating, but there is room for growth,” she said.

Superintendent Salvatore downplayed the severity of the issue as the investigation to whether or not a criminal act occurred, continues.

The Monmouth County prosecutor is still weighing what charges, if any, will be filed against the two workers. The maintenance workers remain suspended with pay.

What do you think the school district should do? Give your suggestions in our comments section below…

View Comments