Ex-Marine Megan Leavey Fights To Adopt German Shepherd She Served With In Iraq

VALLEY COTTAGE, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — A former Marine is hoping to be reunited with her partner so he could live out his final days in the comfort of her Valley Cottage home.

Since being discharged in December 2007, former Marine Cpl. Megan Leavey has been fighting to adopt Sgt. Rex, a 10-year-old German Shepherd.

“I’ve spent every waking moment with that dog,” she told CBS 2’s Emily Smith.

A traumatic brain injury knocked Leavey unconscious in Iraq in 2006. Insurgents watching from a rooftop  detonated an explosive, nearly killing her as well as injuring Rex’s shoulder. Together they made it out alive.

“I’ve taken care of him. He’s taken care of me. It’s just a bond you can’t break,” she said.
After the injury,  Rex went through rehabilitation with Leavey until her military commitment ended in 2008. At that point Leavey tried to adopt him, but the military still had need of his abilities.

megan and rex 2 Ex Marine Megan Leavey Fights To Adopt German Shepherd She Served With In Iraq

Megan Leavey and Rex (credit: Facebook)

“He’s actually the oldest dog working at Camp Pendleton in California,” Leavey said.

Recently, Rex developed facial palsy, preventing him from performing his tasks.

“He’s pretty much just sitting in a kennel not doing any good,” Leavey told 1010 WINS. “If he is not approved to be adopted he could be put to sleep that same day because they pretty much don’t need him anymore.”

“What would be the point of keeping a dog that is unable to work around in the kennels? My plan is to not let that happen,” she added.

Leavey and Rex spent two six-month tours together in Iraq, completing more than 100 missions.

Leavey said while in Iraq, they depended on each other.

“Rex slept next to me, I fed him, I walked him, I groomed him,” Leavey said. “He depended on me to take care of him completely and I did, as he took care of me.”

Sen. Charles Schumer has sent a letter in Leavey’s behalf to the man in charge of the military service dog program.

Now, all Leavey can do is wait.

Please leave a comment below…

Comments

1. Cookie Bohman says:

I just don’t understand…obviously the folk in charge just don’t understand the bond that forms between a human and a dog. Cpl. Leavey and Sgt. Rex need each other…let them be together!

2. Sam says:

“Home sweet home’ every one heard the expression, for Sgt. Rex home sweet home is with Capt. Megan…….. no question no hesitation

3. caksamit says:

YOU ALL HAVE BEEN SO HELPFUL IN LOCATING THE PROPER CHANNELS OF HELP FOR EX-MARINE CPL. MEGAN LEAVEY. I HAVE SOME EXCELLENT NEWS TO SHARE WITH YOU ALL. SOMEONE EMAILED ME AND SAID THAT MEGAN J. LEAVEY IS FACEBOOK i CAN’T TELL YOU ALL HOW HAPPY I AM SHE HAS BEEN FOUND. FOR ATTORNEY FROM ATLANTA WHO LEFT PHONE # ON MY EMAIL ADDRESS , I WILL TRY TO CONTACT MEGAN OR YOU CAN . I JUST WANT TO SEE A HAPPY ENDING FILLED WITH LOVE. THANKS EVERYONE.

4. caksamit says:

We all are always talking about how we want to make a difference in our world. After I heard the story of Marine Cpl. Leavey and Soldier Rex the German Sheperd who were both fighting for our freedom in the war in Iraq. Since then, it came a time for Rex to be retire but the service seems to have to have a different term for their animal soldiers. They just put them down to end their brave life. Apparently there’s more red tape to you if you’re in the military. Marine Cpl. Leavey is trying to save Rex’s life so she can adopt Rex. I’m animal lover and I couldn’t imagine being separated from my dog and fearing he would be put down cause red tape. No one has a heart even the service. This is totally insane act upon the service of any branch. This is a love story between a girl and her best friend or should I say Man’s best friend. But no one is reaching out to help save Soldier Rex. It seems odd to me that when a human soldier must to retire, he just retires! But when it’s time for Soldier who happens to be a dog. Who has saved many human lives in time he was a Marine. His life means “Nothing” now they want to put this brave soldier down for good and KILL HIM!. I can’t say this story makes me proud to be American when they kill of their own. Help Megan and Rex to be reunited for life!!!!

5. Patti says:

Patti

Please reunite Megan and Rex!

6. Joni Note says:

Just another shining example of how the United States treats its returning vets—human and canine.

7. Deb Reid says:

Please let her adopt this dog. He deserves to live the rest of his life out with someone who will love him and take care of him. That is the least you can do for a dog that has served his country and almost died . Let the dog go and do the right thing.

Comments are closed.