NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — Verizon has been fined more than $140,000 for safety violations in connection with the electrocution of a technician.

Douglas LaLima was working in a lift bucket last fall installing cables in Brooklyn when he came into contact with a power line and was electrocuted.

Federal investigators say LaLima was not wearing insulation gloves and was not properly trained. They also say his bucket was too close to the power line.

Verizon denies the death was caused by the company failing to follow safety requirements and plans to appeal.

(TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Watch & Listen LIVE