Final Farewell For Slain Staten Island Groom-To-Be

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A Staten Island groom-to-be who was stabbed to death while out with friends celebrating his engagement will be laid to rest.

The Lacertosa family stood silently outside St. Thomas the Apostle Church as the casket holding Anthony Lacertosa was carried inside.

The 27-year-old, described as ambitious and the rock of the family, died early Saturday morning after authorities say he was killed when a brawl erupted outside the Espana Restaurant in Annadale.

Police say 35-year-old Redinel Dervishaj, an employee at the restaurant, allegedly pulled a butcher knife and plunged it into Lacertosa’s torso. Authorities say he is also believed to be tied to the Albanian mob.

Family members say Lacertosa’s half-brother and fiancée, Bridgette Schneider, tried to save his life by performing CPR, but it was too late.

anthony lacertosa and bridgette schneider1 Final Farewell For Slain Staten Island Groom To Be

Anthony Lacertosa and Bridgette Schneider (credit: CBS 2)

Dervishaj was arrested Tuesday in Illinois after law enforcement officials received a tip that he was hiding out at his aunt’s home outside Chicago.

“I am eternally grateful for the police department for having caught this man and making today just a little more bearable,” said Lacertosa’s mother, Linda Lacertosa.

Dervishaj waived extradition earlier this week and could be returned to New York as early as Thursday. Many family members say they will be in court when Dervishaj is arraigned.

“We will never get him back. Regardless of what happens with the investigation and everything, we will never get him back,” said Lacertosa’s brother-in-law Jamie Caruvana.

Dervishaj served more than three years in prison for a 2007 shootout in Queens with two other Albanian figures.

Lacertosa will be buried at Oceanview Cemetery on Staten Island. He was due to marry his fiancée in November.

Please share your thoughts below…

Comments

1. Raachel says:

R.I.P Ant i love you sososoosososososo much and miss u too! this should not have happend and the party was beautiful on Friday night!<3

2. albo boy says:

Staten Island has the most wanna be tough guys/ gangsters in the world. Until they run into Albanians. 30 drunk guys start a fight for no reason just to act tough in front of there ladies then when someone gets stabbed the all run and wonder why. If I’m at my engagement party the last thing in the world I would do is get into a fight but Staten Island punks wanna act tough in front of girls and start a fight for no reason then someone dies they wonder. Word to the wise don’t start with Albanians and they won’t start with you.

1. Raachel says:

Exscuse me but he wasnt trying to act tough he was an innocent man and it was only 8 guys not 30!! He was trying to help his brothers he did not want the fight to happen.

2. david says:

thats true albo

3. LI GIRL says:

this Fu*k should have been deported for his past crimes i hope he dies for what he did to this guy his fiance & family u boys should have cracked his skull open when he got chucked on the ground Im proud of antonio & his pals u caught a murderer….

4. THE GREEK says:

Bro I totally agree with you my “NEIGHBOR”, I have read the whole story and I hope everyone is reading my blog. Mr Redinal Dervishaj is TOOOOOOOOOOOOtaly “INNOCENT”. The ALBANIANS and the GREEKS are alike and are close friends especially in NY. Don’t think that i’m trying to get race into this,but as my neighbor said if you dont mess with the albanians they won’t bother you and over there he is 100% rite. I have very good friends that are ALBANIANS and they are all “GREAT”people and don’t bother anyone”””””BUUUUUT”if someone tries to do harm to them then they will retaliate and the ending will be very tragic,and this is exactly what happened in this case. I am 1st generation american,but all my family was born in Greece. I was brought up greek with the GREEK culture,GREEK morals. In my country (GREECE)where my family is from we have a saying in which I would like to share with everyone. The saying is that what your trying to look for “YOU WILL FIND IT”………..In other words The italians had noooooooo rite to outnumber Mr DERVISHAJ,in adition to that after they beat him up they then threw him over a car,Then in addition to that MR Dervishaj ran into the store,””WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHY” were the italians running after him…….Then inside the store Mr Dervishaj grabbed a knife and acted on “SELF DEFENSE” again “SEEEEEELF DEFENSE”and I “HOPE TO GOD” that when this goes to court the court system will acknowledge that it was self defense…………………the italians deserved what they got…………………..The ALBANIANS AND GREEKS ARE FRIENDLY,LOVING,AND RESPECTFUL PEOPLE JUST DOOOOOOOOOOOON’T DISERESPECT THEM………………………………THEY WILL NEVER START A FIGHT BUT IF OTHERS TRY TO START A FIGHT TRAGEDY THEN HAPPENS….(FROM THE GREEK TO MR DERVISHAJ YOU DID “NOTHING” WRONG YOU ARE 100% RITE AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU MY NEIGHBOR………ALBANIA AND GREECE FRIENDS FOREVER ESPECIALLY IN ASTORIA QUEENS🙂

3. ace11 says:

If the Italian Musscle goons hadn’t started all this in the first place…the guy would be alive

Could have been self defense

1. Jersey Guy says:

No, I think this whole thing started when the Guido Goon’s brothers made it a point to urinate on the outside of the Albanian mobster’s restaurant instead of in a toilet. I mean, you don’t pee on the outside of a mobbed up guy’s place. If they hadn’t done that, this whole mess probably wouldn’t have happened. Their brother’s murder had to be their wake-up call.

2. Raachel says:

Not self defense if they could run back inside the restaurant to go get the knife they couldve ran away and stayed away his intention was to come back and stab and kill him

4. Bman says:

What The “F C K!”

Staten Island – What a Dump!

5. zekemob says:

Low life Albanian? Let me guess he was getting beaten up by 6 high class Italians and should have taken the beating to death without trying to survive. Unfortunately, this Albanian had survival skills and was able to save his own life. That’s what happens when low life Albanians get attacked by high class guidos. Make sure the guidos get deported back to Sicily too.

1. Raachel says:

STFU this low life albanian wasnt doing self defense if he could run back to get the fckin knife he could run away and stay away from this mess.

2. david says:

shut up dont call albanians low zeke

6. Ms. BK says:

This is a very sad story about the tragic loss of a young man just about to begin his new life. My heart goes out to his family.

1. Raachel says:

thanks ms BK he was a good man and a loving cousin<3

7. rocker90 says:

The victims brother law the Port Authority cop who has been identifed as Paul Como in the SI Advance started the melee

8. Vik says:

Filthy Stinking Low Life Albanian. Deport his A$$ !!!!

1. Peter says:

He has to do the time for the crime first then deport him !!!!

1. 2gruesome2b says:

that will just cost more money. perhaps he’ll attempt to escape; then his corpse can be shipped home. collect, closing the episode with panache.

9. Steroid Guido says:

Good riddance to bad rubbish

Comments are closed.