Baby Found Abandoned In Brooklyn In Stable Condition

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Police responding to a 9-1-1 call Saturday discovered an abandoned infant.

Officers found the 2 or 3-month-old Hispanic boy in a car seat on the floor of the foyer at 413 62nd Street around 2 p.m.

Tenant Chin Ling, 60, first thought the baby belonged to another tenant inside the building. She went door to door, looking for his family.

Once convinced the baby did not belong to anyone there, she called the landlord, who called police.

Reggie Chan, whose grandmother is the landlady of the building, says the baby appeared healthy and was left with supplies.

“When I came to look at the baby itself it was smiling, cheerful and things like that, acting like an ordinary baby,” he told Carlin.

“Diapers, milk, water, some clothing, some blankets,” he told 1010 WINS’ Gary Baumgarten. “The door is open in the morning and afternoon. We only close it at night.”

EMS transported the baby to Lutheran Hospital where he is listed in stable condition.

With Chan translating, Ling told CBS 2’s Dave Carlin that she was heartbroken, wondering who would leave a baby out there, and concerned that someone could just come and take him.

Police are asking the public for help in identifying the child. Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 800-577-TIPS.

The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers web site or texting their tips to 274637(CRIMES) then enter TIP577.

Please leave a comment below…

Comments

1. Helen I. Weinberg says:

Adriana,my heart goes out to you. You have every right to be outraqged when something like this is reported on the news. The person or people who left the baby may not understand English and do not know about Safe Havens. If they are young people with little or no income,they may have felt that this was the only thing to do. My heart goes out to them too! Let us all hope a good home with responsible parents will soon be found. I don’t know how much red tape they would have to go through to adopt this child, but surely the city has agencies to deal with this. We should all pray for this child and the parents who abandoned it.

2. CHINO says:

WE HEAR ALL THE TIME ABOUT KIDS BEING KILLED BY THEIR PARENTS.. WHILE THE PLACE HE WAS LEFT WAS NOT THE BEST AT LEAST HE STILL HAS A FIGHTING CHANCE.. I DONT BELIEVE THE PARENT SHOULD BE CHARGED WITH ANYTHING, BUT HELPED SO THAT OTHER IN THE SAME SITUATION WILL NOT BE AFRAID TO TAKE THIER BABIES INTO A SAFE HEAVEN PROGRAM OR TO A HOSPITAL OR THE POLICE

3. Kathi says:

you have to know that leaving a child like that was probably not an easy decision~nobody knows what that parent was going thru and they probably felt this was a way to save the child.Leaving the child with supplies also show that they love him and want him to be well. God bless them for giving this baby a chance and not keeping them in what might possibly be a horrible situation. Remember the old saying about not judging someone till you walk a mile in their shoes? think about it people.

1. NurseDee says:

Kathi – two words “SAFE HAVEN”. That’s the only appropriate action they should have take. Wake up!!!

2. Gina4 says:

You’re absolutely right! I agree with you. None of us can understand their decision unless we’d had to walk in their shoes. The people probably don’t even know what safe haven is. Anyway, he is safe and that’s all that matters.

4. pikachu says:

DOES ANYONE SAFE HEAVEN PROGRAM?? LEAVE BABY AT HOSPITAL EMERENCY ROOM NO QUESTION ASK, BABY WILL BE SAFER THERE!!

5. Comentator says:

Good news twice: the baby is OK and “Brooklyn is in stable condition”!

6. jennifer says:

This saddens me so much. My husband and I are both unable to have children. Yet, we have wanted a child so badly and can’t have them. Then you hear stories like this of people just throwing away their babies…their gifts from God. My heart hurts for this little angel. I am happy he is safe, I just shiver thinking about how one day he will hear about what happened to him. Poor little one. Praying for him.

1. Marie says:

Jennifer – I agree wholeheartedly with you

2. Mrs. Fichetti says:

Try to adopt this baby. I asked my husband to adopt him but the true is that we are getting old and probably unable to meet the health/energy that rising a child demands. Thanks to Jehovah, we have children. We should just wait for the grandchildren to enjoy having a baby.

1. jennifer says:

HI Mrs. Fichetti,

I have already contacted CBS to see if they can give me any information as to who I would need to contact to adopt him, but I’ve yet to hear anything back from them. Hopefully today or tomorrow we will hear something that will lead us to him.🙂

Thank you so much!🙂

7. Nick says:

These people just drops them out like roaches does.

8. maria canaday says:

Well I’m glad they left it in a safe place ! Praying for the baby and also the parents of this baby…..I believe they did the right thing, much better then killing or miss treating the baby , it was left with food and supplies ….:O)

1. Wendy says:

He not it.

2. NurseDee says:

Some random apartment building lobby is NOT

9. Adriana says:

I am outraged I cannot have children because of a kidney transplant and I have always wanted a child and someone abandons or even kills a child and people get away with it.

Comments are closed.