Suspect In Fatal Subway Fight Still At Large

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – One person is dead and another is being sought by police after a fight on a subway train spilled onto the platform and ended up on the tracks.

It was a frightening incident in front of hundreds of witnesses at the Bedford Avenue train station in Brooklyn at around 10 p.m. Friday.

WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall reports

Police say a confrontation following a verbal dispute between two men on the L train spilled onto the platform when the train stopped and then escalated into a full-blown fight.

fatal subway fight suspect Suspect In Fatal Subway Fight Still At Large

Police sketch of the subway fight suspect (credit: DCPI)

Both men fell onto the tracks, but one was able to climb back to safety and flee the scene. The other man however, remained on the tracks and was hit by an oncoming train.

1010 WINS’ Glenn Schuck reports

Police closed the subway station for several hours as crime scene investigators gathered more information about how the incident happened.

“There was a woman kneeling beside [the victim] and she was doing the best she could,” one witness said.

Police have identified the victim as 20-year-old Joshua Basin, a junior at LaGuardia Community College from Howard Beach.

“He never fought with his friends. He was so easy going. Everybody knew him. He had a million friends,” said Zena Basin, Joshua’s mother. “If you met him once, you will never forget him. Everybody liked him. He wasn’t a fighter, he was happy-go-lucky.”

Investigators are calling his death a homicide and say they are looking for a suspect, a white male in his early 30s.

“I need justice for him. I need whoever did this to be caught, I really do,” said Zena Basin. “I need all of you to try to do something. Help the cops do something. Please.”

“He was a good kid. I really don’t know what he did on his off time. He told me he was going to school and everything. It’s been awhile since we hung out, but I would see him around and say hi and everything,” said William Baez, who knew the victim for 15 years.

Basin has just one request of the alleged suspect.

“Turn yourself in,” she declared. “I need to find out why he did that. There is no reason.”

So far, no one has been arrested. The investigation is still ongoing. Anyone with information is urged to call the authorities.

Please share your thoughts below…

Comments

1. Anonymous says:

So, all you “witnesses” — go give a statement to the police instead of hiding behind an Internet comment board. COWARDS!

2. Joel says:

Punk got what he deserved.

1. anonymous says:

There were two friends who were there when it happened. A Witness tried to run after the others. But when the fight started, I was standing in the middle of it, and there were many more then two. The light haired guy tried to run, but all the other guys, ran after him. He slipped, and Joshua started beating him down. while he held onto a pole. and then couldnt anymore, and he was kicked to the platform.
      I thought all metro platforms, had video. and I also know that nobody had time to take their cameras out, it happened so fast, and everyone was trying to get to him to pull him up. or people were running away to not see the tragedy that was about to happen.

1. Anonymous says:

Were you on the train with Joshua and the white guy? Or were you just standing on the platform. It originally started on the incoming train from Manhattan to Bedford Ave.

2. anonymous says:

Nobody should get what he got!

1. Rosario says:

Exactly. That is brutal. I wasn’t there so I do not know what happened. Bedford Avenue platform on the L is pretty weird to me so I wouldn’t even speed walk let alone fight on the platform. Dang

2. Joshua says:

I was watching from the Brooklyn bound train.. I can’t sleep at night with the clear vision if Joshuas body twisting like the Tasmanian devil.. What worse way to die. I think Im gonna need therapy soon.. I never understand why new Yorkers stand so damn close to the platform edge anyways..

3. Anonymous says:

He was stuck on the tracks. He tried to escape but couldn’t make it. He got ripped in half! And his body popped out one way and his legs went the other way. I don’t think he got what he deserved. c’mon dude.

3. TELLIN IT IS LIKE IT IS says:

SUPPOSEDLY THERE WERE HUNDREDS OF WITNESES,YOU MEAN TO TELL NOT ONE VIDEOED ACTION LIKE THIS. ALSO REPORTS ARE SAYIN THE DEAD GUY WAS WITH 2 BUDDIES WHERE ARE THEY………..AS USUAL MEDIA HAS EVERYTHING TWISTED AROUND…STEVIE WONDER COULD DO A BETTER JOB REPORTING THAN SOME OF THE AHOLES DOING THIS NOW

4. anonymous says:

The man who flee was innocent, He was the man who was running, when The guy who was killed, kept beating him, and pushed him off the side of the track, and fell with him. is was unlucky that Jushua didn’t make it. But the guy who flee was not the guy responsible for the accident. I saw the whole thing and I tried to help, but Joshua was the one using violence, and pushed the other guy off the track. I am soo sorry for the family and friends who lost their person. But I need to make it clear that it is not the guy who is being found missing who is responsible for what happened!

1. Anonymous says:

Were you on the train with Joshua and the white guy? Or were you just standing on the platform? I was on the train with them. The white guy hit Joshua, Joshua swung back..the both shoved each other through the open doors. People lunged out at the white guy….it went from there

5. Nick says:

Grease ball got greased. So?

1. Rosario says:

What is your problem? Can you calm the fck down? You sound like an angry, lonely person. Jeez.

6. Robert Moses says:

This is part of why ALL public transportation should be BANNED.

1. Boomer says:

Dude- why do u waste your energy posting these ridiculous messages? Go read a book, feed ghe homeless…

7. Leech says:

Stop this white- on- white crime.

Comments are closed.