Octogenarian Sues Apple For Collision Related Injury

NEW YORK(CBSNewYork) —  A Queens woman is suing Apple for $1,000,000 after smashing her face on a glass door at a Long Island Apple Store.

Evelyn Paswall, 83, claims that the glass doors at the front of Apple Stores pose a risk to the elderly.

Paswall’s attorney Derek T. Smith told the Post that,“Apple wants to be cool and modern and have the type of architecture that would appeal to the tech crowd, but on the other hand, they have to appreciate the danger that this high-tech modern architecture poses to some people.”

Paswall claims that she didn’t realize that she was walking into a wall of glass as she approached the store, and says that she broke her nose as a result of the collision.

Her suit claims that “The defendant was negligent . . . in allowing a clear, see-through glass wall and/or door to exist without proper warning.”

As of Saturday warning strips had been posted on the glass at Apples Manhasset store.

Does Paswall deserve the settlement? Was Apple negligent? Let us know in our comments section below…

Comments

1. Joe E in the IE says:

Here’s the storefront:

The glass appears shiny enough that you can’t mistake it for empty space.

1. Brendan says:

Especially since that is the back fo the store. Here is the front….

She must have just imagined those giant metal bars were floating in the air and not door handles.

2. Jp says:

She is also suing them because she couldn’t find a siongle apple to eat in the whole store. False advertising!

3. Cliff says:

So I guess we need to label the gas padal and brake on a car now

4. Bodahn says:

It’s all about diminished capacity and the inability to walk and talk at the same time.

5. Michael Nicastre says:

This exact same thing happened to me as I was exiting the Apple store in Virginia a few years ago. Someone left the door on one side closed during store hours. They told me to go pound sand. They can tell her the same thing.

6. vanagram says:

Oh No! Dobby’s closed the platform! However shall we get to Hogwart’s now?

7. Jesse says:

This woman belongs in a nursing home

8. SCY says:

How old is glass, was it just invented…I suppose 80 years ago when this woman was born there was no glass right and so it makes sense that by using “glass” Apple has adopted a radically technology that has rendered most of us completely befuddled…

9. Marilyn says:

This isn’t the McDonald’s hot coffee lady, is it?

10. SeniorSloppyBottom says:

If a glass tree falls in a forest, but there is an earthquake at the exact moment of impact with the ground. Would the following headline be accurate?
    Glass Tree Collides With Ground, No Witness to Validate If Sound Was Made

11. Jim In Frankfort says:

Apple has specially designed these “clear” barriers to feel real to the white canes so often used by blind people … perhaps Apple should spring for a white cane or a seeing eye dog for this woman.

Broken nose, bruised pride, and loss of cool points is not worth $1,000,000. If she is so “old fashioned” why is she going to the Apple store to begin with?

Heck, I’ll run full speed into one of their windows and let ’em off the hook for a free iphone!

12. MichaelH says:

The store ought to…
    1. Reimburse her for medical costs…
    2. Pay her a reasonable amount for the pain, suffering, and inconvenience she endured.
    3. Correct the physical situation that led to the accident.

That’s all, folks. The rest of this garbage is simply greedy lawyers trying to screw a company into paying what they shouldn’t have to pay. The woman? She’s greedy, too.

13. The MaD HaCkER says:

You are never too old to be looking for heaven in someone elses wallet.😉 The woman should use a gun to rob the store.

1. The MaD HaCkER says:

When the entire front of the store is made of glass; How did she find the door?

14. Wow says:

This lawsuit is proof that wisdom does not always come with age. This woman has never seen a glass door before? Reminds of that windex commercial with the two birds.. enough said.

15. george p burdell says:

Under the new health care law, this 83 year old must be “put down” by a large animal veterinarian.

16. meg says:

under obamacare, grandmama will get pain pills…if she’s lucky.

17. John says:

Sounds like the lady that put a hot cup of coffee between her legs. Another stupid lawsuit! She’ll probably win.

18. Steve says:

It’s somehow Bush’s fault.

19. Martin says:

With all due respect, I love the US and its people but I never understood this incessant need to sue everybody for whatever comes to mind. I myself have crashed into a glass door twice but in my world that only means I am stupid and I get to go back home ashamed of myself (usually just laughing at myself)

20. jbspry says:

The idea seems to be that Apple is responsible for her being eighty three years old with bad eyesight and a faulty memory regarding the existence of doors in buildings. Score another victory for the ADA!

21. JustAGuy says:

So, she just concluded the front of the store had *nothing* to secure the store’s front when it closes?

If she gets away with this, I’m flying to NYC to look for a glass storefront to run into.

22. buffyt says:

She is suing APPLE because she is stupid and because they have DEEP POCKETS. She sses a gold mine. I see an idiot who shouldn’t be out walking, she might injure herself further. Needs to be kept in a padded cell. LOL I have walked into glass sliding doors, and you learn to look before you leap. You don’t sue the owner of the glass!

1. The MaD HaCkER says:

If this keeps up we will ALL be locked in padded cells to keep us from heating ourselves by eating the wrong food or smoking or ….

23. Anna says:

As if it’s their fault the old woman can’t see clearly?

24. ConservativeRedneck says:

Must be another liberal watching all the “I’LL SUE FOR YOU” lawyer ads on TV.

25. Bobby says:

Is an 83 year old nose worth a million dollars?

26. J_Ruben_Kincaid says:

If you can’t handle glass doors, you are stoo stupid or helpless to be left alone.

27. seadocbiz says:

Apple should give her an iPad for her troubles, nothing more… Get a grip lady, never seen glass doors before???

28. The Land of Opportunity says:

This country is going to hell in a hand basket. The rich stay rich, the poor live as well as the middle-class, the middle-class struggle to live “middle-class”. The people are in control of the government as much as you or I are in control of who wins the world series. This country is broken from top to bottom. These cases are on a rise, and why? Because people like this actually receive payouts for accidents that happen everyday. I never thought I’d say this, but I’m on the lookout for a glass door.

29. lotta says:

Sue, sue, sue

30. PinkFloydFan says:

Dang, Why didn’t I think of that.

31. Texasbil says:

Americans needs to assume responsibility for their actions and quit blaming others for their stupid mistakes. If you walk into a wall of glass or whatever it is your own fault and nobody else.

32. Brendan says:

Has anyone actually looked at the store in question? Here is an image of it……did she think the large bars that open the door were just magically floating in the air? This isn’t a door without handles, but instead two roughly 2 1/2 foot long metal bars. I feel bad for you, but stupidity shouldn’t pay.

1. jbspry says:

I would also point out that the many reflections in the glass are a good sign that something is there.

33. JAG says:

Air is clear and sometimes it’s cold. I demand justice!

1. PinkFloydFan says:

You sue for cold air and I’ll get them for hot air in Arizona.

34. Dave K says:

Apple putting tape on the door to make it easier to see is as good as an admission that the door is hard to see, they blew it.
    Oops.

1. Brendan says:

Except for the two door handles that she must have imagined magically floating in air that are over 2 feet long apiece.

35. snap says:

The woman should not be wandering around on her own if she can’t see a door.

36. Not that Old and Not that Stupid says:

Elderly or young, she’s an opportunist, failing to take responsibility for her own ignorance. Did she really think a store would be completely open to walk-ins? She does not deserve a penny from Apple. This is the type of person that goes to the emergency room because she has a cough and her doctor can’t schedule her in for a week. GROW UP!

37. Bill says:

This rates right up there with a story in regional roundup in Stars and Stripes back in 1986. An Elderly woman was suing the manufacturer of her microwave oven because there was not a warning on it that she was not supposed to put her little dog in it to dry it off after its bath. YES, SHE PUT HER DOG IN THE MICROWAVE! Sparky lived, but I bet he never wanted another bath from her! True sotry.

38. lynn01 says:

Doesn’t this woman have any family to look out for her? She obviously should not be out alone. I hope she didn’t drive herself to the mall/store! I am 73 and feel certain that when I reach that level of incompetency, my children will take away my car keys and keep watch over me for my own safety! Age itself is no indicator of much today but breaking your nose trying to walk thru a store door is!

39. BikerBen says:

It’s unfortunate that attorney Derek T. Smith can’t be heavily fined for filing a frivolous lawsuit. He’s obviously looking to pick the deep pockets of Apple Computer, and sadly, he can’t be charged with theft. I don’t care how badly the woman was injured. It was simply her own stupid fault.

40. Lee says:

LOL Sorry, it was in the first line and I missed it. Just like what should have to that woman and her false claim. DOH!

41. Bill says:

Someone looking for a payday because they are not paying attention. I don’t care if it had markers or not. You have to be aware that you are approaching a damn building even if the only thing above the store is a sign. Unreal.

42. Lee says:

If the door fell off the hinges and hit her then yes Apple would be at fault. But if she heading into the door without opening it then it’s her fault and not Apple’s. The whole premise for laws suites of this nature is; Is the company negligent in providing a safe facility for their customers? If someone says exits the fifth floor via the window then it’s not the firms. They are just looking for someone else to blame so they can get money for nothing. Am waiting to see what is the amount of money that is going to be request for … emotional distress.

43. Bruce says:

Shortly after the million dollar coffee lawsuit I witnessed an elderly woman in Michigan get burned by hot coffee due to a poorly placed lid. She was livid and demanded that the manager provide first aid, pay her for the dry-cleaning bill and give her a new coffee.

Fortunately no lawyers were present when this happened. It’s not the old folks, it’s the greedy attorneys.

44. dealseekingman says:

Her name is Paswal…..looks like it should have been PasGlass….

baddabing

45. The Freeholder says:

I bet offering her a cup of hot coffee while she waited for the ambulance was the wrong thing to do, huh?

46. Dave W says:

if her grand kids would have bought her a new ipad while they were their waiting in line to get theirs this would have never happened…

47. JoeD says:

So what did she think would happen when she approached the building? That she would just walk through the wall?. Didn’t she notice the rest of the structure standing there? Both her and her attorney should have to pay court costs for this frivolous lawsuit. Geeze, give me a break.

48. The Old Pooperoo says:

Gimme the contact information for that lawyer! That 83 year old woman is my wife! She has alzheimers and I’ve been looking for her for the last three weeks!

49. Jaymo says:

Apple should counter-sue for everything she’s got

50. cmag1971 says:

Elderly lady walks into glass wall. Lawyer hears about it and he sees $$$$. End of story.

1. ????? says:

Reminds me of the old joke. “A man walks into a bar and says ‘OUCH!””. In this case, “A woman walks into a door and says, “GIMMEE!!!!”

Comments are closed.