Alicia Silverstone Posts Video Of Her Pre-Chewing Food For Her Toddler

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Every time New Yorkers have seen this in mass media before, it has generally been a gross-out joke, played for laughs.

Mario Batali and Jon Stewart did it on “The Daily Show.” “Saturday Night Live” has done it twice: once with Bill Murray, Brian Doyle Murray and Chevy Chase. Years later, Julianna Margulies, Will Ferrell and crew took up the pre-chewing bit.

But now, actress Alicia Silverstone has released a video that may make people wonder if she’s really clueless when it comes to feeding her children.

Silverstone posted a video in which she pre-chews the food of her toddler son Bear Blu and then discharges it into his mouth, like a bird.

The video was posted on her site, “The Kind Life.” Her site is an extension of her book, “The Kind Diet.”

“I will be sharing all kinds of tasty morsels with you,” Silverstone wrote on the site, explaining it’s mission. “By the time you’re done with your visit, your mouth will be watering and you will surely want to crash here forever.”

“This website is fantastic resource for those who want to delve deeper into the world of healthy, green, eco friendly living,” she wrote.

The post that caused a ruckus is entitled “home video: breakfast with baby bear.”

“I just had a delicious breakfast of miso soup, collards and radish steamed and drizzled with flax oil, cast iron mochi and nori wrapped outside, and some grated daikon. Yum! I fed Bear the mochi and a tiny bit of veggies from the soup… from my mouth to his. It’s his favorite… and mine,” Silverstone posted.

“He literally crawls across the room to attack my mouth if I’m eating. This video was taken about a month or 2 ago when he was a bit wobbly. Now he is grabbing my mouth to get the food,” she posted.

Commenters on Silverstone’s site seemed to not make much of an issue of it.

“That is sweet. Who are we to judge? It’s not like she is showing a video of herself eating in front of her child while he is starving. She is feeding him like a mother should, and they are both adorable,” posted user Amber Harvey.

“Oh, for goodness sakes people, Alicia is feeding her child, not shooting up,” posted Jacqueline Pascarl.

The National Institutes of Health has published studies on “premastication.”

Just in February, the NIH published a report that documented three cases of HIV transmission attributed to the practice of pre-chewing. According to the report’s conclusions, “public health officials and health care providers should educate the public about the potential risk of disease transmission via premastication.”

Another report from September 2011 concluded “Education should include advice to avoid premastication and to seek health advice for oral conditions in the caregiver and child. More studies are needed to better define the extent and risks of premastication, including its possible role in increasing HIV-1 transmission.”

The practice of pre-chewing food for infants is more common in other parts of the world.

What do you make of the practice of pre-chewing food for toddlers? What do you make of the video? Sound off in our comments section below.

Comments

1. physics science says:

Usually I don’t learn article on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very forced me to take a look at and do it! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thank you, very nice post.

2. shampoo for hard water says:

Fantastic publish, very informative. I ponder why the opposite experts of this sector do not notice this. You should continue your writing. I am confident, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!|What’s Going down i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve discovered It positively useful and it has aided me out loads. I’m hoping to contribute & aid different customers like its helped me. Great job.

3. nathan says:

My daddy feeds me my kissing my mouth. Than he gives me desert by kissing my little wormy.

4. denise says:

That child should have been eating on his own by now. Even at 8 moths babies should be feeding themselves finger foods. There are plenty of healthy soft foods to choose from. Trying new things and feeding themselves make babies happy and they love it!! Its obvious that alicia wants a mommas boy for as long as possible and if she can get some negative attention at the same time thats just bonus.

I am a mother to 2 beautiful kids and I am a phenomenal mother. Both my kids are healthy and smart and the reason I draw breath everyday. I would NEVER feed my kids this way. This smacks of the terroristic LaLeche League.

The list of reasons against this is a mile long. Near the top of the list is that this poor kid will never live this down. He will be made fun of in school for his name and how it was all over the internet that he was fed in this twisted way.

What happens when he sees another baby eating the RIGHT way? Is Grandma suppose to spit food into his mouth too?

The ONLY way to get a baby trained on eating solids is to let him eat solids!! This alicia is one selfish, selfcentered and elitest idiot.

It is well known that babies NEED fat and protien in their diets, not crazy vegan wasted calories. She feed him these idiotic “garnish” foods so she can act pious and look down her nose at ppl who dont eat that crap.

One more thing, that baby should be sitting up at 4-5 months, this poor thing cant sit up in the video being TWICE that age. BECAUSE HE IS TOO WEAK AND BRAIN STARVED. Its not a matter of IF he winds up with emotional issues, its which ones. Will she spit his medication into his mouth too? This poor kid is done before he starts. Shame on her.

Mom

5. ChewChew Train says:

What will happen when he is in pre school and there is no one to “chew” his food for him and spit it into his mouth? I pity this poor kid………..

1. Dr. Zachary Smith says:

I pity his babysitter.

6. Can't stand MORONS says:

You people who think this is ok are sick. What do babies do when they’re too young to chew food? THEY DRINK MILK. Get a blender you idiots. People like her, people like YOU who think this is ok are the reason why children are nothing but whiney, self entitled toolbags. Get a grip.

1. Alicia says:

I just threw up in your mouth a little.

7. custom boat covers says:

You can definitely see your skills in the work you write. The world hopes for even more passionate writers like you who aren’t afraid to say how they believe. Always go after your heart.

8. custom boat covers says:

The more the merrier

9. justina says:

As a Dental Hygienist I know of the risks of chewing food for your child or by putting a pacifier in your mouth and then to your baby’s. I know it has always been done and seems harmless but this is how your child’s free bacteria mouth get colonized by different types of bacteria, including those bacteria that cause cavities, periodontal disease and gingivitis. From the dental point of view, chewing your child’s food is not the best idea. For more dental advice you can visit my blog http://iblogdental.com/

10. montclair mom says:

Maurice and Lonnie’s faces during this story were truly worth a thousand words – and laughs:)

11. Jeri says:

Alicia Silverstone is not the first to chew their children’s food and feed them. I along with many families especially those from the south, have done the same. My two sons were honor students if rom first through twelfth grades. Their college grades are the same. The older is a mechanical engineer and graphic arts designer and the younger is in medical school where he wi
    L get his doctorate and become a neuro surgeon. So, chewing food will not harm your child nor wi
    L it make them I’ll. Oh yes, I worked for a branch of the federal government and my husband, their father, worked for IBM as a programmer.

1. HUh says:

So your saying spitting food in someones mouth makes you smart Jeri.

1. Jeri says:

Yes. Yes, I am.

12. Barb says:

Desperate acts by attention craving Hollywood “has beens”

13. sk says:

no! she knows exactly what she is doing! alicia knows what she is doing is nuts because ewhy would she film it and then ahve thsi whole thing publicized? ood stars are so desperate to get attention

14. Lori says:

I think that may be the grossest thing I’ve ever seen!!!! I have 2 kids…when they couldn’t chew something they couldn’t eat it. If she wants her kid to eat these specific foods that aren’t available in “baby form” perhaps she should invest in a blender!!!!!!!!

1. Alicia says:

I am my own blender! Okay now, who wants liver?

1. YUMMY YUM says:

Wow that is the same way she feeds her 2 dogs and cat so why should she not feed her other animal iI mean child.

1. jennifer says:

thats a bit mean Yummy Yum. Its not like shes hurting her son. Shes feeding him. I, personally, would not feed my child that way…but everyone is different. If she prefers to feed him that way..then it’s her business..not ours. who are we to say anything against her? We should be more worried about the children that are starving rather than the ones that are actually being taken care of!

1. Spiitty my foody says:

Yes if only we can spit food into the mouths of the starving kids this world would be a better place.

2. Harrison IsthenameIwasgiven says:

I’ve chewed food for my daughter, but never thought to do the mouth to mouth thing. Less germs from the hand I guess. Hey, as long as your child is healthy and eats, to hell with the critics Alicia.😀

15. John says:

LOL.. Hollywood is and always will be NUTS!

16. Goand Humpyamama says:

Yet another method of transferring defective genes and DNA.

17. max says:

DISGUSTING. If you want to chew the food for your child and give it to them find a little less barbaric way to do it while teaching your child independance. Like putting it on a plate and letting the kid pick it up themselves
    Either way she is some entitled vegan celebrity who has no clue
    GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. orcl_mania says:

What did we do before Gerbers? Many of you who think that pre-mastication is sick need to rethink it. When a baby is too young to chew up meat or veggies, chewing it up for them is as natural as it gets. I LOVED sharing my food with my baby and so did both of them. They both lived and don’t have HIV or herpes. Use some common sense and stop being grossed out. You may be grossed out but the reality is feeding your child the most natural way is not so unnatural.

1. CDQ says:

I think you’re full of crap orcl_mania. I do not believe for one second that you chewed your food and then transferred to your baby’s mouth via your own mouth. Sharing your food is one thing. CHEWING IT UP AND SPITTING IT INTO THEIR MOUTHS IS ANOTHER. YOU’RE CLUELESS, TOO.

2. smm says:

the kid is nearly a year old in the video. he should be quite capable of chewing his own food. before gerbers, ppl fed their children what they were capable eating. if the child had no teeth, the child didn’t eat solids. the human mouth is DIRTY. just because she doesn’t have herpes or HIV doesn’t mean she can’t transfer strep, mono, flu, the bacteria that causes gingivitis. you can have a viral infection and not know it and pass it on before you ever show symptoms. it’s stupid and gross. there is no defense. the child should be feeding himself, period. there is nothing “green” about this. she’s not saving the environment or reducing waste by doing this. she is extending the amount of time her child is going to be dependent on her. those “other parts of the world” where the practice is somewhat more common are places where there is little/no access to pre-made baby food and limited variety of food stuffs. even in these places, it is done during the period of time when a child is being weaned, and often even cooked AFTER being chewed. we’re talking 3rd world populations here, that have a valid reason for doing this. once the children have teeth, it’s game over. babies start getting teeth between 4-7 months, her kid is over a year old now. if he hasn’t any/enough teeth, he needs to see a dentist, not have her chew up food for him. even ppl who don’t want to buy baby food make their own. there’s this new thing, it’s called a FOOD PROCESSOR. grinds stuff up for ya’, you may want to look into it.

19. DisgustedCanadian says:

She needs to see a shrink. I have never seen anything more disgusting than this. WTF was she thinking? I agree with franCis 100%. The child is human and not a bird.

1. AgreeToDisagree says:

TMI. Use tools or keep private because of the stigma/ick factor. Though this should build a stronger bond. Failed to stay in character? Clueless, then Mean Girls etc..Are all media personalities bought up by the establishment or some agenda ousher? This is not particularly bad to counter the serious lack of maternalism these days but overall the whitebread romantic-acky meme Alicia typifies in film is kinda ruined by this. Maybe to make less shallow her fans? What the hell do they study in Hollywood over there?!?

20. Proud mommy says:

I don’t think there is anything wrong with it. The people who think it is disgusting either don’t have kids or would be selfish parents. When you have kids you do anything for them, well the good parents do. If that means sucking the boogers out of your kids nose when they are sick and can’t breathe, YOU DO IT. There is nothing wrong with what she is doing.

1. Lois says:

I am a parent and find this ridiculous! She isn’t doing it because the kid needs this to be well, as with the examples you give. She is doing it because she is a hippie loser wanting attention for shock value of the things she does. I would do anything to keep my son healthy but thats not what she is doing.

2. CDQ says:

Proud Mommy, did you do this with you child/children? Doing anything for your child I understand, but chewing food and transferring it into your baby’s mouth is not only disgusting, it’s unhealthy. On the top of the list, did you know that mouth/gum disease can be transferred to your child when your infected saliva goes into the child’s mouth???

YOU ARE AS CLUELESS AS ALICIA……….

3. saint maria says:

Proud mommy…you are as CLUELESS as this woman is. This does not make her a good mother. It makes her insane! Yes, I would do anything for my kids. The example of sucking boogers out of the nose, yes, I would do that with the bulb syringe…I hate to read how you are implying it should be done…

21. bob says:

this is just as bad as seeing toddlers sucking on a pacifier when all the teeth are in

22. bob says:

is there some kind of disconnect going on that im missing when it comes to these stars and the naming of their kids ? do they not think about the future mental health of their kids when they are in school ? prechewing the food for him is seriously delusional and what kind of issues will he have when she stops doing that for him .! this is just as bad as seeing a toddler sucking on a pacifier after all the teeth are in ! then again im not a parent what do i know lol.

1. Alicia says:

Well, like, I was gonna name him Phlegm, originally.

1. ChewChew Train says:

Perhaps Booger Bear?

23. Carol says:

i don’t see it disgusting i done it myself, when your kid doesn’t want to eat you do all you can to feed that child if this is the way he’s taking it then that’s fine, it goes away within time..

1. franCis says:

Your disgusting too! It’s sick. You cut the food in tiny pieces and feed him, not from mouth to mouth! IT IS DISGUSTING!

24. bob says:

shes nuts

25. erica711 says:

yeah I agree with you. She has big time mental issues and thats gross to me. why not teach him to eat his own food.

26. franCis says:

I think it is disgusting!

27. None Of Your Business says:

Yuuuucccckkk!!!

28. Me says:

There is something mentally wrong with her

Comments are closed.