Police: Suspects Mugged 5 Students In Hour-Long Spree In Uniondale

UNIONDALE, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — Police were issuing a warning to parents and students on Thursday, a day after five teenagers were robbed in a one-hour period in Uniondale.

“The victims actually had the phones in their hands and the subjects forcibly removed the phones from them,” said Det. Sgt. John Giambrone, the commanding officer of the Nassau County Robbery Squadd.

According to police, at around 3 p.m. Wednesday a 17-year-old girl walking to her car after leaving Kellenberg High School had her iPhone stolen by a group of five to seven teenagers on Anchor Way Boulevard.

WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall: iPhones Are Popular Targets

About 30 minutes later, two other teenagers were targeted. Police said a suspect wearing a red hat grabbed a 17-year-old boy by his arms and took his cell phone and iPod touch before joining up with four other suspects and fleeing on Pembroke Street.

In a third incident, police said one of the suspects grabbed a 12-year-old girl’s arm, snatching her iPhone from her hand. The girl reported pain in her hand after the incident, police said.

In the final incident, police said two suspects — one wearing a red shirt and red hat and the other wearing black clothing — punched a 13-year-old boy in the eye after he refused to give up his cell phone. The victim called police from his home, where he was treated by Nassau County medical technicians.

“I believe these individuals were probably selected because they were by themselves and the gang obviously felt they were easy prey and they could overpower them,” Giambrone said.

1010 WINS’ Mona Rivera reports

In a letter to parents, Kellenberg’s principal said students from Turtle Hook Junior High School, Uniondale High School and Kellenberg Memorial had their phones stolen.

Students are being warned to remain alert, keep phones out of sight and shout for help if surrounded.

No arrests have been made.

Police are working with students to come up with composite sketches and reviewing possible surveillance video, as well as using iPhone app technology to help catch the robbers.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-244-TIPS.

Please offer your thoughts in the comments section below …

Comments

1. Life 101 says:

Just teach yer kids not to display bling in sketchy areas: problem solved.

2. TRACK says:

Parents you know what your children are doing, where did they get the iphone? Nothing should come into your home without a receipt! Where did they get the money? Who gave it to you? Did they ask the parent (you) could you have it? And look into their rooms every now and again to check for things, goods, drugs, condoms, birth control, it’s your home n you are paying for it. KNOW DAMMIT! And don’t take things they give you unless you know where it came from…

3. NYCsewer says:

WHITE MAN KNOWS THIS WAS THE NEGRO HOW COME THE POLICE WONT SAY IT?

4. Robert Moses says:

This in entirely Mike Bloomberg’s fault.

By law, all crime belongs in cities, while suburbs are supposed to be quiet and pristine. Bloomberg is ILLEGALLY exporting the City’s criminal elements to our fine suburbs. When will Bloomberg be arrested for this?

1. blahblahblah says:

…so you’re saying Uniondale is one of those “fine suburbs?” Harrr!

5. Gladys Kravitz says:

What a shame. I hope some of the phones have apps that allow their location to be traced. These hoodlums need to be taught a lesson. Send them to Juvi for a year, no stern lecture and probation. You should not have to be in fear walking home from school.

6. NYCsewer says:

I send my kid to school with a quarter if he needs to use the phone.This keeps the Negroes from robbing him

1. TRACK says:

Don’t make blanket statements, I am a Negro n my daughter doesn’t steal, I proved…and she works for what she wants. It is something that is taught by example…

1. TRACK says:

” I provide”, error in spelling “I proved”…

7. Chris says:

I know one of the kids who got punched, he’s the 13 year old, he’s on my lacrosse team in Turtle Hook, They tried stealing his stick but couldnt cause they’re dumb and they ran too fast and dropped it, he’s ok but told everyone not to walk alone cause your gonna get jumped

8. To Vincent from KBERG Parent says:

I live in Elmont and both of my children are in private schools no located in the neighborhood. My sixth grader is at Kellenberg and she has an Iphone… I am not ashamed to sat that she has one and I use the find Iphone tracker to know where both of my children are at all times… For examples if the bus is running late or early and to get in touch with them in an instant. I am not going to apologize for providing them with the iphone and thinks it’s insane that it is implied that she deserves what she gets if she is mugged for it. Shall girls stop wearing skirts as well…. you know the whole she is asking for it argument… Vincent that is a ignorant thing to say and you really need to come up with a better argument. Here is one, maybe people should teach their children not to take things that do not belong to them? Just a thought!

9. Persona says:

Yes. Don’t buy anything nice for yourself or your kids . Are you kidding me. Just because some POS runs around stealing staff I should deprive my kids of having nice things . Start punishing people even if it’s first offense and then u see what would happen . The crap with slap on he wrist doesn’t work.

10. Drop Hoods says:

Any description? I guess they were 5 white teenagers in lacrosse uniforms. Red shirt and Red hat? good description. What color are they?

1. Lacrosse = Trouble. says:

Many Lacrosse Kids are Punks, you may be right here.They love to draw attention to themselves with their silly shorts, flourescent socks and face painting for games. Look at all the drinking excessively and sex scandals in the larger lacrosse playing colleges and they routinely involve Lacrosse Players.

1. personal says:

screw you a*&%#e you dont know what ur talking about when it comes to lacrosse players… and these werent lacrosse players they were innocent kids

1. LAX Troublemakers. says:

Did you read where the OP mentioned Lacrosse Players in his post insinuating that it would be unlikely for someone who plays Lacrosse that would get in trouble?

That what the second poster was saying, that even Lacrosse players be criminals. Shouldn’t have been that hard to comprehend. Are you a Lacrosse Player?

2. Chris says:

They target lacrosse people, they sell the stuff since its expensive, Nd in uniondale its pretty big so they go for the sticks and gear,

11. Vincent says:

Parents are stupid to buy an IPhone for their 12 year olds and even 17 year olds. They are just making their kids targets for getting robbed. This time they were just robbed. They were lucky they were not hurt or killed. Why can’t parents just buy a basic phone that can be used to just make a call?

1. CBS says:

Agree! Plus I don’t even have a Monthly contract, just a pre-paid Phone

2. Vincent is not living in reality. says:

Vincent is right, these kids deserved to be beaten and robbed because their parents are able to give them nice things. I say lets find the robbers and send them from neighborhood to neighborhood to teach all of Long Island that they should not have nice things. Maybe we should ask them to kill one or two to really prove that point.

Vincent, get a grip on reality and blame the robbers and not the victims. Knucklehead!

3. To Vincent from KBERG Parent says: