Keidel: Jets Are Green With Giant Envy

By Jason Keidel
» More Column

I have two lifelong friends who were as different in demeanor and appearance as humanly possible. I won’t reveal their real names, but for the sake of this column, we’ll call them Dave and Butch.

Dave was always smaller than the average boy and, later, the average man. But he would fight anyone. What he lacked in size and sense he made up for with spunk and courage.

But when does courage become craziness?

Sometime around his 40th birthday I was stunned to see him with a closed left eye, the fruits of a fight the night before. He was walking down a Manhattan street, talking to a mutual friend, when someone passed by and told Dave to shut up. Over this nonsense, the two men threw down like a Jackie Chan movie at 2 a.m. No matter how old he gets, Dave wants to fight. It’s who he is.

Butch, on the other hand, was the baddest boy in the neighborhood. He was almost bionic, considerably stronger and faster than we were and imbued with his share of courage. Yet he rarely fought, because he knew his place in the pecking order and needn’t prove anything. He never started a fight, but he ended a few.

Don’t they remind you of the Jets and Giants?

The Jets flexed their Napoleon complex by trading for Tim Tebow – perhaps the last player they need right now. It was a way of acting out, Big Blue’s little bro showing the world that they can grab a headline or two, too.

Darrelle Revis, not prone to hyperbole, answered “Disarray” when ESPN asked about his team’s locker room. And Santonio Holmes, already far from the chairman of the Sanchez fan club, has already said he’d call for Tebow as soon as Sanchez stumbles, according to the Daily News. And this is while nothing important is occurring. Wait until training camp and the regular season and when Mark Sanchez throws a dying duck into the Meadowlands wind, dropping like a stone 10 yards short of the intended receiver.

Over on the sideline will be the Savior, on one knee, his uniform clean and his guns gleaming, while fans ten beers deep into the day implore Rex Ryan to insert Tebow. The irony will be that Tebow is probably praying for Sanchez.

I don’t think Tebow covets controversy. I think it pains him to ponder Sanchez’s predicament. But you don’t get where Tebow has gotten without an intense sense of competition, perhaps even a lust for conquest. No doubt he’s emboldened by his success with Denver and Rex Ryan’s assertions that Tebow could get up to 20 snaps per game.

Forget the fact that no team in my lifetime has won a Super Bowl by splitting snaps, this follows a confounding narrative from the Jets, who not only think they know better than the rest of mankind, but display a haunting kind of hubris in the face of rampant failure.

Mostly, I just feel for Jets fans, because they are faithful to a franchise that has never rewarded them. It’s easy to root for a team that always wins, hence my contempt for the Core Four Babies, who only know the Yankees that make the playoffs every year. They don’t know about the Mud Bowl or the Gastineau Game, or 10-0 in Denver at halftime of the AFC Championship, or 17-13 in Indianapolis at halftime of the same game.

And the danger with the Jets is that they become the Cubs, where losing becomes part of the charm. Name one Super Bowl champion that ran the Wildcat 20 times to victory. Take your time…

And that’s what Mike Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan are force feeding you, this counterintuitive gibberish. When Tannenbaum uses corporate platitudes like “roster efficiency” to describe Tebow’s strengths, you know he’s covering up for his boss, Woody Johnson, who’s got the bars on his shoulders and bucks in his pocket to pull rank on football men who are better at making football decisions.

Though I was against landing Peyton Manning, we understood why the Jets tried and we would have accepted benching Sanchez for a four-time NFL MVP. Tebow is just good enough to start and bad enough to bench. But the force of his following and persona is unprecedented.

Even I smiled like a child during his press conference. Tebow is so comfortable with himself that he could hold a press conference underwater and not get wet. And this kind of comfort has made jaded men out of normally cutthroat personnel people, and turned cynical Jets fans into Tebow cheerleaders.

I’m stunned by the number of WFAN callers who assure us that this Tebow thing can work, while admitting that it would be the first time. Tebow’s spell is so strong that I practically clapped when he was done disarming the media in Florham Park. But let’s see who’s smiling come September and beyond when QB rating trumps Q rating.

Surely the Giants are secretly snickering at the Jets. Big Blue’s locker room, champagne-smeared with glittering Lombardi Trophies lining the corporate halls, stands in stark contrast to the Jets, who live only on legends of Joe Namath, on the other side of the Hudson, in a building that no longer exists.

Feel free to email me at Keidel.jason@gmail.com or follow me on Twitter here.

Do you agree that the Jets are just trying to outdo their “big bro” Giants this offseason? Sound off below…

Comments

1. tom esposito says:

johnnya,just how much jet koolaid you drinking 6-10 is about right next year

2. JOHNNYA says:

typing angry and not paying attention. time to go. frustrated by ignorance on the part of fat, insecure, live at home in their parents basement while eating microwavable food 5x a day, i have no girlfriend except my hustler magazine collection, tools that sit here and surf the net looking for jets articles so they can blog about how “bad” they are. Yup! u reeled me in and hooked me. I should have realized ur all a bunch of tools in a big tool box!

3. JOHNNYA says:

ONE PLAYER ON THE 0LINE WHO WILL NOT BE THE STARTER ON OFFENSE AGAIN THIS YEAR -THE RT****

4. JOHNNYA says:

ONE PLAYER ON THE OLINE WHO WILL NOT BE THE STARTER ON DEFENSE. A DEFENSE THAT NEEDS 2 PLAYERS TO COMPLETE THE JOB; A FREE SAFETY AND AN EDGE RUSHER. I KNOW… DAVID HARRIS, POUHA, WILKERSON, AN UP AND COMING KENDRICK ELLIS AT NG, PACE, MAYBIN WHO IS NOW PLAYING A POSITION HE IS SUITED FOR, REVIS, CROMARTIE, WILSON IN THE SLOT, LANDRY. THAT DEFENSE AND THEIIR SPECIALS ARE AS TALENTED AND WELL COACHED AS ANY IN FOOTBALL. THE OFFENSE IS NOT BEREFT OF TALENT. NOT BY A LONG SHOT. YES THEY NEED ANOTHER RB, A NE ORT AND ANOTHER BIG RECEIVER BUT THEY ALSO HAVE 10 PICKS AND COME THE DAY AFTER THE DRAFT AT THE END OF THE MONTH, THIS TEAM WILL BE BETTER, TALENT WISE, THAN THE JET TEAM THAT WAS 8-5 BEFORE THEY BLEW THE GIANTS GAME AND THE LAST GAME OF THE SEASON. THEY ARE NOWHERES NEAR A 5 WIN TEAM AND THEY WILL NOT FINISH BEHIND BUFFALO AND MIAMI HAS C LOSED UP SHOP…THEY ARE GOING TO FINISH AHEAD OF THE JETS??? I CANT STAND U PEOPLE!

5. JOHNNYA says:

BOB ANOTHER JETS GENIUS…IS THAT THE FAMOUS BOB OF THE INCARCERATED ILK?

6. JOHNNYA says:

NOBODY CARES ABOUT THE GIANTS. I DON’T! IM HAPPY THEY WON. GOOD FOR THEM. IM NOT ROOTING FOR A TEAM LIKE THE FREAKIN’ PATS TO BEAT A NY TEAM, SO I WAS ROOTING MY B***S OFF FOR THEM 4 THE SECOND TIME IN 4 YEARS. WOODY WANTS TO WIN AND I COULD CARE LESS WHAT HE DOES AS LONG AS THEY WIN. FAVRE AND THE JETS TANKED IT WHEN HIS SHOULDER TURNED 2 NOODLES IN 09 AND HE THREW ONE TD IN HIS FINAL 6 GAMES. ( 1 TD AND 7 OR 8 INT’S). THEY DO WHAT IT TAKES TO WIN AND THEY WILL USE TEBOW INSIDE THE RED ZONE. NOT SURE I WOULD HAVE MADE THIS MOVE BUT IM HOPING IT WORKS AND I DONT KNOW THAT IT WONT WORK. BUT I HAVE FAITH IN REX AND TANNENBAUM. TANNY HAS DRAFTED 7 PRO BOWLERS IN HIS 6 YEARS ON THE JOB. HE HAS ONE BUST ON HIS RESUME’ AND THAT BUST WAS A GUY WHO THE FORMER HEAD COACH PUSHED HARD 4 ON DRAFT DAY (VERNON GHOLSTON). NOBODY WHO REALLY KNOWS THE JETS AND HAS AN UNDERSTANDING OF FOOTBALL ACTUALLY THINKS REX RYAN AND MIKE TANNENBAUM ALONG WITH SPORANO AND ANYONE ELSE WEARING JETS GREEN ACTUALLY THINKS THE JETS WILL PLAY TEBOW ABOVE SANCHEZ. HE CANNOT PASS THE BALL LIKE SANCHEZ…NOT BY A LONG SHOT!

7. Bob says:

this season has the makings of a complete disaster for Gang Green, like a 5-11 or 6-10 campaign with end of the year mass firings, cuts and yet somehow the Jets will enter next season 2013 with Tebow, Sanchez and another high draft pick QB since they are destined for yet another top 10 draft pick. Ridiculous

8. Jim in VA says:

Jason, I really have to agree with you completely. It was obvious to me Woody’s fingerprints were all over the Tebow trade. It really is a shame. Woody is in close competition with Fred Wilpon for worst owner in New York. I am soooo happy I didn’t renew my season tickets and bite on the PSL bate. I can watch the Jets lose a lot easier and cheaper on Directv as to spend hundreds of dollars traveling back north. It will not be a good year. Besides, Santonio Holmes isn’t getting ready for the upcoming season, he is spending his time in Stanford, FL with Al Shapton these days. Why is this clown still on this team??? Can anyone tell me?

Comments are closed.