Report: Mets Brass Recently ‘Suggested’ Releasing Mike Pelfrey

NEW YORK (WFAN) — Mike Pelfrey’s spring stats usually aren’t so hot — and this year has been no different.

According to the New York Daily News, certain members of the Mets’ front office were ready to give up on the 6-foot-7 hurler.

It was “suggested” during a recent meeting that the team release Pelfrey before Opening Day, the paper reported, though “none of the uniformed staff” would endorse the plan.

Well, the 28-year-old certainly made his case to stay Thursday.

Pelfrey, who entered his latest spring start with an 11.49 ERA, looked strong over 6 1/3 innings. He gave up one run on three hits, leading the Mets to a 9-1 win over the Houston Astros.

“I look at a couple things like the ball coming good again,” Pelfrey said. “Command was by far the best it’s been all spring training. I thought I did a good job of keeping the ball down. Obviously, (there were) a lot of groundballs from that.”

Command is right. The right-hander didn’t give up a single walk.

“But it is spring training,” said Pelfrey. “At the end of the day, I felt good, I felt strong and I thought it was pretty good.”

Mets manager Terry Collins was thrilled with the difference in Pelfrey, who has been working on an altered delivery with pitching coach Dan Warthen.

“I saw a power sinker that had great movement, beating it in the dirt,” Collins said. “He threw his curveball for strikes. (Catcher) Josh (Thole) said his splitter was outstanding.”

Collins added “it was really a step forward for him.”

A first-round pick in 2005, Pelfrey has gone 50-54 with a 4.40 ERA over six seasons with New York, alternating between up- and down-years.

“I think any time you have a good outing, you have to feel good about,” said Collins. “He’s a pro and he’s been here a long time and he might downplay it, but I was real happy with what I saw. I saw all the things today that I’ve heard about.”

Mets fans, do you think it’s almost time to give up on Big Pelf? Sound off in the comments below…

Comments

1. jack says:

i would like to trade him he has not been to good this spring just is last outing and he has not been good in the regular season but who will we get for him so i guess we have to keep him

2. brian stark says:

Ron, yes, 2011 was terrible. 2010, however was very good. Of course, 2009 was terrible. But, 2008 was very good.

I guess that means that 2012 will be very good.

Let him be very good this year, the even year, then trade him,

We don’t have enough pitching to trade ANY starting pitcher right now.

1. Ron says:

2010 Pelfrey started the first half 10-1, finished the season at 15-10, that means the second half he was 5-9. How is that very good?

Also, in 6 years his career record is 50-54 with an E.R.A of 4.40 & winning an avearge of just 10 games a season, that does not make you a very good pitcher in the majors.

3. BklynCowpoke says:

Oh please is right. A decent game against the Astro’s with an anonymous line up with the exception of Fernandez (the Met reject). When he has a few well pitched games against teams like the Cardinals, Phillies and Braves, then we’ll talk.

4. BklynCowpoke says:

Oh please is right. A decent game against the Astro’s with an anonymous line up with the exception of Fernandez (the Met reject). When he does has a few well pitched games against teams like the Cardinals, Phillies and Braves, then we’ll talk.

5. gollytwo says:

oh please – one decent game and they think it’s a new Pelfrey.
    Have they had a memory loss. He’s terrible – get rid of him.

6. Glenn DeMilt says:

This is a make or break year for Big Pelf. I’m hoping for good things.

1. Ron says:

have you seen Pelrey pitched the last 2 yrs? where have you been?

1. gollytwo says:

oh please – one decent game and everyone’s thrilled. Have they had a memory lapse. The guy’s awful.

Comments are closed.