Health Officials Warn Of Botulism From Tainted Tofu In Queens

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The New York City Health Department says two people contracted botulism after buying tofu from a grocery store in Flushing’s Chinatown.

Authorities didn’t name the store but said they were investigating the source of the tainted tofu. They also said the food product was unrefrigerated and kept in a water-filled bin.

Gary Baumgarten of 1010 WINS spoke with several customers after the health warning was issued.

“I don’t think it should be sold in open bins. It should be healthy, safety, and in American standard. Make sure the people are concerned with health,” one customer said.

Anyone who likewise bought tofu from open bins were urged to throw it away.

“I still have concerns about health. I buy it from the supermarket. If they seal it and it looks good, no missing labels or anything, it should be good,” another customer said.

Botulism is a type of food poisoning that causes double vision, weakness in the joints, and difficulty swallowing and breathing.

Please leave a comment below…

  • diet

    You can certainly see your expertise within the work you write. The world hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to mention how they believe. Always follow your heart.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Giving Tuesday
Charles Osgood Event

Listen Live