Reports: Imposing Rugby Player Hayden Smith Agrees With Jets

NEW YORK (WFAN) — It seems the Jets are about to get some help from an unlikely source: Australian rugby star Hayden Smith.

According to multiple reports, Smith has agreed to terms with Gang Green. The New York Daily News reported he will earn an average of $355,000 annually over the three-year deal, citing the player’s agent, Jack Bechta.

The Jets have not yet acknowledged the addition, while the 26-year-old said on Twitter he’s New York-bound.

“Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone for their support!” Smith tweeted Wednesday morning. “Can’t wait to get into New York and get down to work #dreamcometrue.”

MORE: Should high-profile Jets just say “no” to “Hard Knocks”?

His personal coach, former University of Minnesota head coach Tim Brewster, tweeted earlier: “Hayden Smith has signed with the Jets! Really think this guys upside in the NFL is huge!”

Huge is right. Though new to football, the 6-6, 265-pound Smith is projected to play at tight end.

“I’ve always said that you have to follow your dream,” he told USA TODAY. “It’s worked out well for me so far but its without a doubt the biggest step that I’ll be taking and it’s something that I’m very excited about.”

Great move by the Jets? Sound off in the comments below…

Comments

1. 5talents says:

U mean to tell me that there are no kids playing tight end, who know the game and love the game, in the colleges in the US of A. Come on these jet coaches and owner are weird. Because u r 6’6″ 265lbs doesn’t mean u can play TE in the NFL. I see 2 or 3 young guys walking the streets in NYC every day, who are 6’6″ 265 and are not in the NFL because they can’t play well enough. For every rugby player who loves football and are good enough to play football, there are ten college football players who can play in the nfl. Remember to be able to handle the nfl mentally u have to love playing football. The physical part is secondary.

2. Frank says:

Just another act in the circus known as my Jets

3. JOHNNYA says:

I played rugby… and Iwould hate to play football in the greatest country in the world and make millions. Yetan other genius comment. maybe u lead 2 much with ur head or dove too many times head first in2 a scrum.

4. Jay Chan says:

An Aprils Fool joke?

5. Master Shake says:

I seriously doubt that it’s any professional rugby player’s “dream” to play in the NFL. As a former rugby player myself, I can tell you that in rugby circles, the NFL is nothing more than a punch line to a joke.

1. JOHNNYA says:

Please…. yeah playing rugby in a vermin infested continent is much more appealing. riiiiggghhhttttt!

6. Hunting Hip Flask says:

Having read this I believed it was extremely informative. I appreciate you finding the time and energy to put this article together. I once again find myself spending a lot of time both reading and commenting. But so what, it was still worthwhile!

Comments are closed.