WHITE PLAINS, NY (CBSNewYork) - A female student at Berkeley College in Westchester County was taken to the hospital in the middle of the night on Friday with a potential case of bacterial meningitis.
The 23-year-old Berkeley College student was rushed to White Plains Hospital after police said they found her very sick in her dorm room, WCBS 880′s Sophia Hall reported.
To confirm the diagnosis, the student’s cerebral spinal fluid was tested, and the results were due back in a few days.
WCBS 880′s Sophia Hall reports
The Health Department said that the student may have bacterial meningitis, which causes sudden fever, nausea, vomiting and headaches — and could potentially cause death or permanent brain damage.
“It’s deadly. I don’t want that kind of stuff around me,” student Robert Sepulveda told CBS 2′s Dave Carlin.
“Everybody just started freaking out,” said student Jazmine Davis.
Patients with the more common viral meningitis normally make a full recovery without specific treatment, but people with bacterial meningitis must be treated immediately with antibiotics.
“Anyone who develops rapid onset of these symptoms, including what we call “mental status change,” your behavior changes, the way you act starts to change, you get a little confused, should prompt immediate medical attention,” said Dr. Ned Shami.
Dr. Shami said the disease is not as contagious as the flu or a cold, and usually requires direct contact with someones saliva by kissing or sharing drinks.
“We don’t know where it’s at. We don’t know who it is. We don’t know the person and don’t know if we were in contact with the person,” said student Frank Sutton.
Berkeley College is working with the Health Department to evaluate who may have had close contact with the student, the institution said in a statement.
Health experts and college officials were working together to determine who was in proximity to the patient and who may need treatment.
Please offer your wishes for a quick and speedy recovery below…