Montclair Gas Leak Forces Evacuation Of Nearby Homes, Businesses
MONTCLAIR, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — A gas leak in Montclair Monday morning forced the evacuation of nearby homes and businesses.
A construction crew hit a gas main by mistake on Bloomfield Avenue and South Park Street, fire officials said.
“They were digging a trench and they hit a gas main,” Montclair Fire Captain Thomas Diveny said. “It wasn’t marked out properly so it wasn’t necessarily their fault.”
As a precaution, about 100 people were evacuated and streets around the area closed.
PSE&G crews on the scene said the break was in a six-inch plastic gas line.
Crews turned off power as they vented out the pipe.
The all-clear was given just before 2 p.m.