Man Jumps Into Acid Tank To Rescue Stricken Colleague
CLIFTON, N.J. (CBSNewYork/AP) – Talk about leaping to the rescue.
A roofer was working 40 feet above a tank full of nitric acid when he fell through, plunging through the air into the tank.
The incident took place at Swepco Tube LLC in Clifton, which manufactures metal tubes.
As soon as the man fell in, one of his colleagues bravely jumped into the tank to fish him out.
“His exact words were, ‘I had to get him out,'” Fire Chief Vince Colavitti told 1010 WINS. “He took his life and put it in harm’s way to save a co-worker and that speaks a lot for a person.”
Three other co-workers also assisted in the rescue.
Five minutes after being plucked from the solution, the fire department cut off the victim’s clothes and sprayed him with water to help stop further damage by the acid.
The 44-year-old man was ultimately airlifted to St. Barnabas Medical Center after suffering head-to-toe burns. There’s no word yet on his condition.
The man’s co-worker is hospitalized with leg and abdomen burns after jumping into the acid to help.
What do you make of the heroic rescue? Sound off in our comments section below.