NEW YORK (WFAN) – Mets manager Terry Collins said last week it was “doubtful” that Ike Davis would be optioned to Triple-A Buffalo.
But it seems Collins’ confidence has wavered after another lackluster string from the struggling first baseman.
“There’s nothing etched in stone,” Collins said of Davis before the Mets’ 6-5 win against the Blue Jays on Sunday. “We will never say something’s not going to happen.”
Davis went 1 for 4 in the game and raised — yes, raised — his average to .163. Collins was hoping a road trip to the hitter-friendly confines of the Rogers Centre in Toronto and the Pirates’ PNC Park would get his hitter going.
“What we’re trying to do is make sure we wring the rag dry,” said Collins. “That’s why, coming into this road trip, we said, ‘Here are some pretty good opportunities. This is a pretty good hitting park, Pittsburgh is a pretty good hitting park, we’ve got right-handers coming up. Let’s just see if we can get him going.’ ”
It has been a rough twelve months for Davis, who sat out most of 2011 due to injury and was diagnosed with Valley Fever before this season. A demotion to right his swing in the minors may be next.
“I really can’t answer questions about (being optioned) until it happens, or until something happens,” said Davis. “I’m not sent down yet, so I don’t know what to tell you.”
Should the Mets send Davis down? Sound off in the comments below…