Nets’ Gerald Wallace Reportedly Opts Out Of Contract, Becomes Unrestricted Free Agent

NEW YORK, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) – Brooklyn Nets small forward Gerald Wallace has decided to opt out of the final year of his contract, multiple reports said on Thursday.

The 29-year-old had until midnight on Wednesday to make a decision on his $9.5 million player option for the upcoming season.

If the reports are accurate, the former first-round pick is now an unrestricted free agent. He previously said that he wouldn’t play on a one-year deal, according to ESPN.

Nets general manager Billy King — who has stated that he wants to re-sign the six-foot-seven, 220-pounder — acquired Wallace from the Portland Trailblazers for Shawne Williams, Mehmet Okur and the team’s first-round 2012 draft pick on March 15.

The NBA veteran — who holds the distinguished honor of being the Bobcats’ all-time leader in points scored — averaged 15.2 points , 6.8 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 16 games this past season after joining the Nets.

Should Billy King make a concerted effort to sign Gerald Wallace to a multiyear deal this offseason? Sound off with your thoughts and comments below…

Comments

Comments are closed.

More From CBS New York

HISTORY IN THE MAKING
50 YEARS OF NEWS

Listen Live