NYACK, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — A gas main break turned up the heat Thursday in a Rockland County neighborhood, sending flames and smoke shooting into the air.
Electrical power was eventually restored to nearly 2,500 customers, but about 480 were expected to be without gas service for several days.
The incident happened in Nyack at around 4:30 p.m. Officials said two contractors for Orange and Rockland Utilities were grinding down a pipe. Then suddenly a gas safety valve came loose, gas shot through the pipe and the sparks began. Those contractors jumped out.
The utility company said the repair is easy, but that it would take a couple of days to get everyone’s service back because each customer must have their pilot lights re-lit individually.
So Orange and Rockland Utilities called in help from Con Edison to restore service faster.
“I ran up, got my dog and came out,” one resident told CBS 2’s Amy Dardashtian.
Businesses along the street shut their doors and mutual aid from neighboring towns rushed in.
At least eight firefighters were rushed to the hospital due to exhaustion as they clutched their heads and clung to water bottles.
One of the firefighters suffered burns to his leg. None of the injuries are considered life threatening.
Share your thoughts in the comments section below…