Ways To Dress Up Your Doors To Energize Your New York Home
New York City is home to many. First appearances are extremely important in this city, so the doors should to be fashioned to express the folks who live inside. The home and apartment doors act as entries into the souls of those living beyond them.
1. Give your doors a new coat of paint. For homeowners, paint the entry door in a bright contrasting color to the house, such as a teal or red. If you have shutters or window boxes, consider painting these in the same color as the door. Paint with a high gloss outdoor enamel paint that will wear well. Experiment with painting the door and its moldings in different colors to add your unique expression. Garage doors can be painted as well.
2. Make sure doors and windows are appropriately sealed. Door seals and gaskets tend to wear out after a while. Drafty doors will cost you money, letting cold in during the winter and cool air conditioning out in the summer. Make sure that you check your door seals every year. New seals are made to easily replace any worn ones.
3. New doors can be reasonably purchased when not custom sized. If you require a new door but it is not a standard size, consider adjusting the opening with trim and molding to accommodate a standard door, saving from the price of ordering custom. Visit local home stores and check out their clearance areas; you will often find beautiful, and normally expensive, doors that were custom ordered and never picked up, or are slightly damaged. These doors can be purchased well below their original price.
4. Screen and storm doors provide protection and ventilation, saving on heating and air conditioning. Screen doors welcome in fresh, cool breezes on a nice day and come in wood, vinyl and metal options. Storm doors will protect the entry door and help seal the entrance. They also are equipped with a screen that can be swapped for the storm glass to use during warmer weather. Handy screens are made that can be temporarily attached to any opening; perfect for renters and sliding doors.
5. Doorbells and knockers allow visitors to state their arrival. Doorbells come in many designs, ringtones, finishes, shapes and sizes. With so many options, there is sure to be a doorbell to express the home’s resident. Many who rent or live inside co-ops and condos do not have the luxury of painting an individualized color. Add that personality with a doorbell or knocker.
The following local businesses may be able to help you get started.
202 E 29th St
New York, NY 10016
Doorbells and knockers come in a range of varieties. Stop in at Nuthouse Hardware to see what kind you can get for your home.
Sunset Ace Hardware
8111 5th Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11209
Get a storm door at Sunset Ace Hardware. The experts at this shop will tell you everything you need to know to keep the bad weather away.
140 58th St
Brooklyn, NY 11220
Welcoming guests with a fun doormat will surely give great insight to those who reside inside the home. Find yours at UncommonGoods.
For more great tricks, tips and advice about your home, visit CBSNewYork.com/YourHome.
Carol Ruth Weber began her career as a Theatrical Costume and Set Designer and segued into the world of Interior Design. As an interior designer she has twenty-eight years of experience in all phases of the business. You can read more of her work on Examiner.com and she can also be contacted at WeberLifeDesign.