Bloomberg Rejects Control Proposal Of 9/11 Memorial
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — Mayor Michael Bloomberg is not giving up control of the World Trade Center memorial.
The mayor said Monday control should remain with the National September 11 Memorial & Museum foundation.
“The plaza and the museum are going to be run by the foundation, they’ve raised $450 million, we have an agreement with the Port Authority,” Bloomberg, who is chairman of the foundation, said.
WCBS 880’s Rich Lamb reports
“I don’t think anybody wants to turn over the memorial and the museum to political process,” Blooberg added. “The whole idea here was to have a private foundation with representatives with all facets.”
The Port Authority, controlled by the two state governors, owns the trade center site. The two sides have been feuding since last year, stalling the completion of the 9/11 museum.
According to the Wall Street Journal, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo‘s spokesman said the museum shouldn’t be politicized but added that both the mayor and the governors are political officials.
A spokesman for Gov. Chris Christie said no one was interested in politicizing anything.
(TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)