News

Judge Sets Deadline For Landlord In Bronx Fire Escape Fiasco

Will The Situation Be Resolved By July 31? Some Tenants Aren't Convinved Of It
(credit: CBS 2)

(credit: CBS 2)

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A New York judge has set a deadline to get all the tenants of a Bronx apartment complex back into their homes after a fire escape debacle by the building’s owner.

Judge Jerry Klein essentially told both tenants and and lawyers of the landlord, Goldfarb Properties, to avoid a trial and the risk of never getting the situation resolved, 1010 WINS’ Glenn Schuck reported.

Goldfarb Properties has now agreed to that July 31 deadline to reinstall the 75 fire escapes that were removed from 2400 Webb Ave. back in early June. So far, about half of them are back on the building.

1010 WINS’ Glenn Schuck With More On The Story

About 200 residents were forced out of their homes after the owner decided to remove the escapes as part of a renovation project. That move, however, was deemed to be a violation of buildings codes and fire officials determined the complex to be unsafe.

Tenants said the entire episode has them yearning to go back to their homes.

“I’m living in a basement with a very good friend and I miss my apartment, I miss my peace of mind, I miss my privacy. I’m just tired, I want to go home,” one woman said.

Yvonne Tyson, another one of the tenants who has been severely inconvenienced, said her life has been a nightmare.

“It’s a real hardship. I’m with family in Nassau County,” she said.

Tyson also doesn’t believe the landlord will comply with the new date despite reassurances.

“They will pay the fine. They will pay the penalty rather than do the right thing,” she said.

Others also reiterated similar sentiments, but said the threat of a monetary penalty might get be necessary to move things along.

“I think it’s a lot of work that has to be done and they’re doing other work on the building and they’re taking their time.  If they don’t complete it, then they’ll be cited and money will be involved and maybe they’ll move a little quicker, take it seriously,” another woman said.

Some tenants on the first and second floors of the 75-unit complex were allowed back into their apartments late last month.

The judge has ordered both parties back to court on July 20, so he can monitor the progress.

Do you think all the escapes will be back on by July 31?  Share your thoughts in the comments section below…