NYPD: Bronx Woman Poisoned 2 Young Children With De-Icing Fluid In Murder-Suicide Attempt
Police received a call just before midnight Thursday from neighbors who smelled gas from a ninth floor apartment at 1500 Noble Ave., in Parkchester.
While it was originally thought 5-year-old Trevor Noel Jr. and 4-month-old Lillian Noel died from a gas leak, authorities said Friday the mother, Lisette Bamenga, poisoned the kids with windshield de-icing fluid before trying to kill herself by turning on the gas in her kitchen and slashing her wrists, police confirmed to CBS 2.
1010 WINS’ Steve Sandberg reports
Police said Balmenga was distraught over her relationship with an NYPD officer, CBS 2 reported.
WCBS 880’s Sean Adams reports
When cops arrived, witnesses said they broke down the apartment door to try to rescue the family.
“They brought out an infant, rushing to resuscitate the infant. The infant was unconscious. I don’t know what’s going on. They even brought down a grown woman,” one witness said. “There was three people in there. They brought out a toddler. They was all unconscious.”
The two children were pronounced dead at the scene.
The 29-year-old mother was rushed to Jacobi Medical Center with cuts to her wrist.
“If anybody would have struck a match or lit their stove within that area, there could have been an explosion,” a witness said.
Other witnesses said they were awakened by the strong smell of gas and heard the children’s father, who also lives in the apartment, banging on the door trying to get inside.
“He broke down in tears,” one witness said. “The police had took him.”
Neighbors said they’re shocked and saddened by what happened.
“It’s a huge concern,” said resident Federico Negron. “I’ll be talking to management today. I’ll probably make some phone calls myself.”
“I would hope no one would want to put that many people at harm,” added resident Curtis Holden.
Police are still investigating. So far, no charges have been filed.
Please share your thoughts below….