Mets’ Dickey Hopes All-Star Start Snub Wasn’t Based On Knuckleball
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (WFAN/AP) — Owner of the best record in baseball, R.A. Dickey was hoping to become the first knuckleballer to start an All-Star game since Dutch Leonard in 1943.
A 12-1 record wasn’t good enough. Tony La Russa picked San Francisco’s Matt Cain to start for the National League on Tuesday night.
“I’m not going to break down in tears over it, but at the same time I’m a competitor. I want to pitch. I want to start,” Dickey said Monday. “I feel like I had a good enough first half that I should be considered. But I’m not the boss. I don’t necessarily have to agree with him, but I have to respect it. That’s just the way it is.”
Detroit’s Justin Verlander will start for the American League as the All-Stars return to Kansas City for the first time since 1973.
La Russa, who retired after leading the St. Louis Cardinals to last year’s World Series title, made the decision after consulting with his longtime pitching coach, Dave Duncan. Cain had the advantage of pitching a perfect game against Houston on June 13.
“We wanted to reward Matt Cain for his career of excellence,” La Russa said. “And he had a great example of that during the summer on one of his pitching days.”
Dickey, 37, has been one of the best stories in pro sports this season, and he thought the All-Star game start “would have been a real neat thing for the Mets organization and the fan base.”
“That might be one of my bigger disappointments,” he said. “Having shared so much of my story with them, I feel like that would have been a neat culmination or apex of that story.”
Cain also will be pitching to his regular catcher, Buster Posey. La Russa said Dickey likely will enter the game sometime in the first five innings, around the time Philadelphia’s Carlos Ruiz replaces Posey behind the plate.
Dickey hopes he wasn’t denied the start just because he throws knuckleballs.
“You’re talking about the best players in the world, and you’re asking about a pitch that’s too nasty to handle?” Dickey said. “I hope that’s not it. If that’s the reason, that’s a poor reason.”
Dickey doesn’t know why La Russa passed over him. He never got a call from the manager.
“I haven’t talked to Tony,” Dickey said. “I kind of expected to get a call from him one way or the other, but I didn’t. So I’m not real sure the reasons why he made his decision.”
Cain is 9-3 with a 2.62 ERA. Dickey, a first-time All-Star, became the first major leaguer in 24 years to throw consecutive one-hitters.
“We have guys the last couple of years, whether it’s spring training or even during the season, I don’t play against Dickey,” La Russa said. “He can spook you.”
The AL’s batting order has Derek Jeter leading off and playing shortstop, followed by Yankees teammate Robinson Cano at second base, Texas left fielder Josh Hamilton, Toronto right fielder Jose Bautista, Detroit first baseman Prince Fielder, Texas third baseman Adrian Beltre, Boston designated hitter David Ortiz, Texas catcher Mike Napoli and Yankees center fielder Curtis Granderson.
The NL has Colorado’s Carlos Gonzalez leading off as the DH, followed by San Francisco center fielder Melky Cabrera, Milwaukee left fielder Ryan Braun, Cincinnati first baseman Joey Votto, St. Louis right fielder Carlos Beltran, Posey, Giants third baseman Pedro Sandoval, Atlanta second baseman Dan Uggla and St. Louis shortstop Rafael Furcal.
Mets fans, still upset over the Dickey snub? Vent your frustrations in the comments below…
(TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)