NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Forget spending a wad of your cash on going out to dinner. Every Tuesday in July, straight from their menus, we’ll show you how to make your own takeout, as tasty as any restaurant.
Chef John Walsh’s Fish Tacos
The Gastro Bar
Facebook: Gastro Bar at 35th St.
Yield: 4 Servings
– 1 lb. flaky white fish (mahi mahi, orata)
– ¼ cup canola oil
– juice from one lime
– 2/3 tbsp smoked paprika
– ¼ cupAnaheimchile
– ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
– 8 flour tortillas
– ¼ cup romaine lettuce, shredded
– ¼ cup white onion, minced
– ¼ cup green onion, thinly sliced
– 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
– 3 tsp pureed tomato salsa (recipe to follow)
– Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Place fish in a medium size dish. Whisk together the oil, lime juice, smoked paprika,Anaheimchile, and cilantro and pour over the fish. Let marinate for 15 to 20 minutes.
– Remove the fish from the marinade and place onto a hot grill, flesh side down. Grill the fish for 4 minutes on the first side and then flip over, cook for 30 seconds and remove. Let rest for 5 minutes and then flake the fish with a fork.
– Place the tortillas on the grill for 20 seconds. Divide the fish among the tortillas and top with any or all of the garnishes.
Extra Recipe: Pureed Tomato Salsa
– 2 tablespoon olive oil
– 1 small red onion, coarsely chopped
– 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
– 4 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
– 1/8 cup green pepper
– 1 cupAnaheimpepper
– 1 tablespoon hot sauce
– 1 tablespoon oregano
– 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
– Salt and pepper
– 1 lime, juiced
– Heat oil in medium saucepan, add onions and garlic and cook until soft. Add tomatoes, red onion, garlic and green pepper andAnaheimpepper and cook until soft, about 15 to 20 minutes.
– Puree the mixture with a blender until smooth.
– Return the puree to pan and cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes. Add the hot sauce, oregano, cilantro and lime juice and season with salt and pepper, to taste.