No Holdout For Jets’ All-Pro Revis
Jets CentralShop for Jets Gear
Buy Jets Tickets
NEW YORK SPORTS HEADLINES
NEW YORK (WFAN/AP) — There was much debate over whether Darrelle Revis would hold out as he’s seeking a reworked contract.
Revis is putting the contractual acrimony aside and is planning to show up for training camp.
A person familiar with the decision said the New York Jets’ All-Pro cornerback expects to report with the rest of his teammates next Thursday in Cortland, N.Y., rather than hold out in a contract dispute for the second time in three summers.
His twitter account was hacked earlier this month by a hacker who send out damaging messages on Revis’ official account.
Revis said last month during minicamp that he was unsure if he would report for training camp while looking for the Jets to rework the $46 million, four-year deal he signed in 2010. During a youth football clinic in his hometown of Aliquippa, Pa., Revis told the Beaver County Times that “I don’t know” if he’ll be at training camp and added: “That’s up to (general manager) Mike Tannenbaum.”
But Revis has decided to attend camp, according to the person who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the decision had not been made public.
The 27-year-old Revis, generally considered to be the best cornerback in the NFL, is due to earn $13.5 million during the next two years after the deal was front-loaded with $32.5 million in the first two years.
While Revis tried to deflect contract talk during the offseason, saying at one point that he was “cool” with his current deal, it is believed the cornerback thought the team promised it would re-visit the situation this year.
Jets coach Rex Ryan told the AP on Thursday that he expected Revis to report to camp on time. “If he’s not, then it’s my job to coach,” Ryan said.
It appears Ryan will not have to worry about missing the cornerstone of his defense, as he did two years ago when Revis’ holdout was a primary story line during the team’s appearance on HBO’s “Hard Knocks.”
After a contentious 36-day holdout, Revis and his agents agreed with the Jets on a four-year deal.
“This is an intermediate step to what we hope is an entire career of Darrelle as a Jet,” Tannenbaum said at the time, “for him to retire a Jet, for him to hopefully go to the Hall of Fame one day as a Jet and for him to be in our ring of honor.”
One major deterrent in the contract might have helped Revis make his decision. If he skipped camp, the current deal would be automatically extended by three years. The daily fines for not being at the mandatory camp and the potential public backlash might have also played a role.
Revis, drafted No. 14 overall by New York in 2007, has been selected to four straight Pro Bowls and has 18 interceptions in five seasons.
Is this a good sign for Revis’ future with the Jets? Will he remain a Jet for life? Let us hear your thoughts…
(TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)