NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – CBS 2 presents “Can’t Stand The Heat” week. So turn off those hot appliances and step out of the kitchen! Fire Island Cookbook guys Mike DeSimone and Jeff Jenssen stopped by with their gazpacho recipe.
Makes 8 servings
A cold soup that can be prepared ahead of time is an ideal start to dinner on Fire Island—or whichever beach you call home.
- ½ loaf of yesterday’s French bread
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 pounds local tomatoes (8 to 12 tomatoes), seeded and cut into large chunks
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into large pieces
- 1 Italian frying pepper, cut into large pieces
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and cut into large pieces
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 medium Spanish onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- Chopped tomatoes, green bell pepper, and onion for garnish
- Using your hands, break the bread into big chunks and soak in water for 10 minutes.
- Squeeze the excess water out of the bread and transfer to a food processor. Add the garlic and oil and process until smooth. Add the tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, onion, salt, and cumin. Process until you achieve a smooth consistency. Add the vinegar and process for 30 seconds. Blend in 1½ to 2¼ cups cold water, depending on desired consistency, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, divide the gazpacho among 8 bowls and garnish with chopped tomatoes, green pepper, and onion.