Neighbors Point Finger At Owner For Blaze, Say He Was Careless

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A spark quickly turned into an inferno in Queens on Tuesday night. One home was engulfed in flames, while nearby families were evacuated.

“By the time it started as a little fire, five minutes later the house was engulfed,” Jim McCann told CBS 2’s Amy Dardashtian.

McCann said a series of explosions preceded the chaotic scene on Douglaston Parkway. A two-level Victorian-style home went up in flames, summoning more than 100 firefighters. Officials said the fire appears to have started in the back of the unoccupied house, which was under construction.

Neighbors said the construction has been going on for more than two years. It includes the 60-foot extension and an indoor lap pool.

George Dunnigan said the home’s owner, David Wang, did work without permits and put people at risk.

“I personally called him in for safety violations, for site conditions,” Dunnigan said. “He was shut down because his workers were wearing flip flops and straw hats, rather than boots and helmets. There were propane tanks.”

CBS 2’s Dardashtian confronted Wang with the accusations, but he responded by saying he’s doing everything by the book.

The city’s Department of Buildings reported 44 complaints filed against Wang. He insisted Tuesday it’s personal.

“Why? Because they don’t like other people live in the neighborhood, because they don’t like me, that’s it,” Wang said.

Please offer your thoughts in the comments section below. …

Watch & Listen LIVE