2 In The Kitchen: Fried Dough Balls With Prosciutto And Mozzarella
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – CBS 2 is continuing its culinary adventures around the world, this time bringing you a recipe from Italy. Andrea Franchini of Pizza Roma on Bleecker Street stopped by to cook up pizzottelle riplene – better known as fried dough balls.
Fried Dough Balls stuffed with Prosciutto & Mozzarella
– 1 10 oz. ball of pizza dough (we use our dough from Pizza Roma but frozen store-bought dough works just as well)
– Extra Virgin olive oil
– 1 lb fresh Mozzarella di Bufala, cut into eight slices
– 4 slices prosciutto, cut in half
– Salt to taste
– Fill a small pot with Extra Virgin olive oil, about half-way to the top, and bring to a boil.
– Spread the pizza dough on a flat surface sprinkled with flour and stretch the dough until about 1 inch thick.
– Cut the dough into quarters and then each quarter horizontally.
– Place the eight dough segments into boiling oil and fry until golden, about 3-4 minutes, flipping over dough after about 2 minutes.
– Take the fried dough segments out of pot, place on paper towel and pat dry to remove excessive oil.
– Allow to cool, approximately 2 minutes.
– Using a bread knife cut a slit in each pizzotelle, lengthwise.
– Stuff each pizzotelle with one slice of mozzarella di Bufala and half a slice of prosciutto