NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Pitmaster Louis Elrose – better known as “Big Lou” – of Wildwood BBQ in Union Square stopped by to cook up his Back To School Meal: Spice rubbed pulled pork on potato rolls with cole slaw.
Big Lou’s All Purpose Rub
- 2 Cups Dark Brown Sugar
- ½ Cup Kosher Salt (Diamond Crystal)
- ½ Cup Turbinado Sugar (sugar in the raw)
- ¼ Cup Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp White Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Granulated Onion
- 1 Tbsp Granulated Garlic
- 1 Tsp Ancho Chili Power
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Ground Celery Seed
- ½ Tsp Cayenne Pepper
Mix well. Let stand 2-3 hours. Store in airtight container.
Wildwood’s Pulled Pork (Slow Cooker Style) on Potato Rolls with Slaw
Pulled Pork on Rolls
- 4 Ibs. Boneless Pork Butt; (trimmed of excess fat)
- 3 Tbs. Lou’s BBQ Pork Rub
- 2 C Spanish Onion; julienned
- 1 ½ cups of your favorite BBQ Sauce
- 8 oz Dr. Pepper
- 4 oz Apple Cider Vinegar
- 8 Potato Rolls (Martin’s recommended)
- In a large bowl rub pork with BBQ rub
- Place julienned onions on the bottom of slow cooker.
- Place pork on top of onions in slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl whisk BBQ sauce, Dr. Pepper, and cider vinegar together then pour over pork.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Remove pork from crock pot and shred with a fork on a flat surface
- Drain any excess fat from cooking liquid. Pour remaining liquid over pork and mix to coat with sauce.
- Serve on potato rolls with coleslaw.
- 2 Qt. Shredded Cabbage
- 1 ea. Carrots; Peeled
- 1 ea. Onion; Spanish; Small; Peeled
- ½ C. Cider Vinegar
- 1 ½ C. Miracle Whip
- ¼ tsp. Celery Seed
- ½ tsp. Caraway Seed
- TT Salt & Pepper
- On a box grater, grate carrot and onion and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add shredded cabbage.
- In a separate bowl mix Miracle Whip, vinegar, celery seed and caraway seed. Pour over vegetables and mix until well coated.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.